Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 09:58 PM

964 posts, read 3,160,777 times

Advertisements

Oh look, a topic about college being worthless. Never seen this before

Old 02-08-2011, 10:11 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,394,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Interestingly enough, I've done exactly what I wanted to do with my small, non-Ivy, private liberal arts college humanities degree. Def. got my money's worth, don't regret my choice, ever. Best money I ever spent, and I didn't even spend that much. Just another perspective.

I understand that there are a lot of things that can factor into very real frustration at the state of the job market. But let's look at it realistically. College, in and of itself, isn't really to blame for this.
My sentiments exactly. I wish I could rep you more.

Old 02-08-2011, 11:34 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,452,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudlander View Post
Hi, my screename is Hudlander. I just wanted to forewarn any parents and prospective students that when deciding to go to college, it can be a stepping stone, or just as likely, a ponzi scheme.

I have a BS and an MA. Both degrees were in social science/liberal arts. I have applied for countless jobs, public and private, and can't get it.
This is because for entry level jobs, employers do not care about what school you went to (unless IVY league).
They care about what you study.

If you are planning on paying for your kid to study liberal arts...send them to a cheap state school because it won't matter.
The only degrees worthwhile are those in:
-Health science (Nursing/PT)
-Physical science (Biology/Chemistry)
-Engineering/Architecture
-Accounting/Finance/Business

The rest, I can speak firsthand, are a complete waste of time and money. You will not get your money's worth and you will end up unemployed or doing menial work and being seen as interchangeable and unskilled.

College and Higher Education long ceased to be a stepping stone (aside from a few degrees). It became a major marketing scheme to get as many students (customers) in to enhance profits no different than that of a BestBuy store.

I regret my choice.
The solution for you should be obvious: go back and get a degree in one of those areas that is worthwhile. I did, and I'm doing very well as far as employment and income goes.

Old 02-08-2011, 11:41 PM

2,409 posts, read 3,041,798 times
Well anyone that thinks college overall isn't a huge and complete racket nowadays isn't paying attention and has no clue what is really going on in America. First off there is NO WAY IN HELL that the US economy can provide enough jobs for the amount of students graduating college and higher education anymore. It's crazy. Despite the economic slump/recession it's still a losing situation for college grads. Too many kids are going to college these days competing for too few good paying middle class jobs. We need more tech schools and more good paying blue collar jobs that don't require a young person to go into debt and spend 4 years of their life without much of a guarantee of landing a decent job.

The biggest reason college has become a racket and why so many kids who shouldn't are going to college is because of the government and all the cheap, easily accessible student loans and debt based financial aid. But this is exactly what "they" want. To inslave and indebt more of the population......it's all about control through. The future generations of this country will be in such a huge cycle of never ending debt they will be easily manipulated by government and banks/wall street.

Old 02-08-2011, 11:52 PM

5,451 posts, read 7,743,493 times
Oh yes, by all means go get an architecture degree. What with the current real estate and construction boom that we're in the midst of, that's a sure path to certain and easy success.

Old 02-09-2011, 12:03 AM

1,264 posts, read 2,439,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John23 View Post
The whole thing has gotten ridiculous. Not everyone is cut out to be a doctor, engineer, acountant, or major in phyiscal sciences. Do the other 60% of students just get ripped off, or short changed? Charged 300% more for something than they were in 1980....just to gain an entry level position?
Exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
The solution for you should be obvious: go back and get a degree in one of those areas that is worthwhile. I did, and I'm doing very well as far as employment and income goes.
I have 2 degrees and 7 years in higher ed. Why should I give them more time and money (which I can neither afford).

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1984 View Post
1) We know your screen name. You don't have to tell us what it is.
2) Why would you go to grad school to study something that is a dead end?
3) It is pretty much common sense that all they care about is what you study.

The problem is that baby boomers won't be retiring for some time. It will be at least five years before they start retiring in mass numbers.
Dead end? Geography? I like geography and was told the "green jobs" and "planning jobs" related to geography would pay off.
HA.

Old 02-09-2011, 02:31 AM

25,157 posts, read 53,952,004 times
I agree with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCroozer View Post
Well anyone that thinks college overall isn't a huge and complete racket nowadays isn't paying attention and has no clue what is really going on in America. First off there is NO WAY IN HELL that the US economy can provide enough jobs for the amount of students graduating college and higher education anymore. It's crazy. Despite the economic slump/recession it's still a losing situation for college grads. Too many kids are going to college these days competing for too few good paying middle class jobs. We need more tech schools and more good paying blue collar jobs that don't require a young person to go into debt and spend 4 years of their life without much of a guarantee of landing a decent job.

The biggest reason college has become a racket and why so many kids who shouldn't are going to college is because of the government and all the cheap, easily accessible student loans and debt based financial aid. But this is exactly what "they" want. To inslave and indebt more of the population......it's all about control through. The future generations of this country will be in such a huge cycle of never ending debt they will be easily manipulated by government and banks/wall street.

Old 02-09-2011, 03:32 AM

3,853 posts, read 12,868,092 times
Quote:
College and Higher Education long ceased to be a stepping stone (aside from a few degrees). It became a major marketing scheme to get as many students (customers) in to enhance profits no different than that of a BestBuy store.
Yup, thats what it has come down to. Over priced and over hyped.

The only real benefit is from potential networking. If you do get the chance to do research, that is also a major benefit (however, most colleges/universities do little to no research). Everything you learn in college can be easily self-taught simply by reading the relevant textbooks.

I went to college for accounting - waste of time. Everyone wants experience and the work isn't that fun, even though I love business with a passion. Actually working for other people, sucks at almost every level. I hate it! What I really enjoyed was being an entrepreneur, so thats what I did. I started my own business. Now I just work on my business and figure out new businesses to start. I have the go getter mentality. I don't say, "hey, I need to go to college to learn xyz." what I say is, "f' college, I can learn it on my own." and thats what I do. I've self-taught myself HTML, CSS, PHP, Javascript, and a whole myriad of software programs like photoshop, captivate etc. I also self-teach myself basically any new knowledge or skill I need to learn.

Self-teaching is absolutely, the way to go. Classroom teaching is far too expensive, way too slow and inefficient (considering that not everyone learns at the same pace - the slow learners fall behind and fail.). The F to A grading system is symbolic of this failure. Its a failure because getting a grade is not what is important. What is important is how well you understand that concepts in the end. With self-teaching, you cannot fail as long as you keep trying. You keep trying until you've learned the skill. There is no failure, either you learn the skills or you don't.

Quote:
The whole thing has gotten ridiculous. Not everyone is cut out to be a doctor, engineer, acountant, or major in phyiscal sciences. Do the other 60% of students just get ripped off, or short changed? Charged 300% more for something than they were in 1980....just to gain an entry level position?
Other 60%? Its more like the other 90%. I'd say if you aren't in the top 10% of your high school class don't even bother with college. Go directly in the work force, work full time, and focus on trying to find a good employer that allows you to move up into management/higher paying positions. If those positions require college or some sort of certificate THEN go to college. The whole idea that you go to college, graduate and make 50k/year rarely happens.

Last edited by killer2021; 02-09-2011 at 03:44 AM..

Old 02-09-2011, 05:27 AM

2,336 posts, read 7,779,750 times
I have my BA in liberal arts. I do not make tons of money (yet...LOL ), but I also do not see it as a waste of time. My degree made me a better communicator, more socially savvy, and more respected by others. Not everyone needs a college degree to achieve this; but I sure did!

I will say though that college is getting out of control financially. I am 30, and I can't believe how much tuition has ballooned since 13 years ago when I first began college. Now THAT is a scam! Also, I work for a university so I see all the waste (the bulk of it going to the salaries of too many administrators) first hand.

I will also say that I do not think everyone belongs in college. But other than that, liberal arts degrees are not the problem. The problem is people who do not want to work towards carving their own niche; who just want to be a lemming, earn the degree, then have the jobs come to them.

Good employees are not easy to find. If your portray yourself as a must-have employee, then it really doesn't matter what your degree is in!

Old 02-09-2011, 06:37 AM

151 posts, read 569,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudlander View Post
The only degrees worthwhile are those in:
-Health science (Nursing/PT)
-Physical science (Biology/Chemistry)
-Engineering/Architecture
-Accounting/Finance/Business
How is getting a science degree and earning $15 an hour as a permatemp worth it for the sciences? Also biology isn't a physical science. It is a life science. My chemistry degree was a waste of time, effort, and tuition money. Negative ROI.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities