Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are college years the best years of a person's life generally?
yes 8 23.53%
no 26 76.47%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 07:25 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times

Advertisements

"Did I really miss out on a really fun part of my life by not going to a ranked university?"

Not as far as I can remember.

I went to a top 10 university and I wouldn't consider for a moment that it was fun much less the most fun I've had in my life; unless you consider spending half of the day in class and other half in the library as being fun.

As for the actual poll question I answered in the affirmative, yes the college years should be the most fun years of one's life, you have few responsibilities, and the most time to explore what life has to offer. If you don't take advantage of that in your late teens and early twenties you may never have such an opportunity again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2011, 07:30 PM

803 posts, read 1,265,668 times
really

well that is something to consider, I am trying to transfer to a top 40

Old 02-22-2011, 07:30 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,366,662 times
Sigh, I hate to tell you this but from my past experience (ex is an MD) he studied his A$$ through college to get into med school so no social life anyway. My only concern for you is getting into med school is tough and schools do count.

Good luck, study really hard. Frat parties aren't all they are made out to be and 10 years from now it won't mean a thing...in GA we have a saying "What do UGA students call GT students in 10 years?".......the answer is BOSS

College isn't for party hardy its for getting good grades if you plan to move on to med school.

Old 02-22-2011, 07:34 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,103,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgamibi View Post
university ranked in the top 100 by us world news and report
Who cares about some BS rankings by a magazine?

Old 02-22-2011, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
Sigh, I hate to tell you this but from my past experience (ex is an MD) he studied his A$$ through college to get into med school so no social life anyway. My only concern for you is getting into med school is tough and schools do count.

Good luck, study really hard. Frat parties aren't all they are made out to be and 10 years from now it won't mean a thing...in GA we have a saying "What do UGA students call GT students in 10 years?".......the answer is BOSS

College isn't for party hardy its for getting good grades if you plan to move on to med school.
Ya but after your ex got done with med school, was he the miserable type of guy who had to work throughout his life?

Old 02-22-2011, 07:37 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,366,662 times
Quote:
Ya but after your ex got done with med school, was he the miserable type of guy who had to work throughout his life?
I'm not quite sure I understand your point

Old 02-22-2011, 07:38 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,303,308 times
Quote:
Redirected from another forum which is not that active

My friend who goes to Columbia was telling me about how good it is to some days see celebrity artists perform on campus and everything.

I will be transferring from my current university (which is unranked) to hopefully a ranked one. Parents really admit their mistake of keeping me at home for my first two years (according to them the high school to college adjustment process can be hard).

Anyways I was ranked 4th in a class of 90 students at a tough magnet school in my area.

I am in my second year of college, social life hasn't been so bad but so many people tell me that in the final two years of college, social life goes downhill for nearly everyone. People are focused on their major, time for partying, making friends and everything is basically over and stuff.

I have also heard that college is supposed to be the most fun part of your life. You make close friends, you make friends who will help you through your life, and you make long lasting relationships.

I feel a bit well, sad, not completely sad but a bad sad because:

1. My first two years of college have not been outstanding in terms of social life, my school is more so of a community college commuter type school, a 4 year university but most people are commuters
2. I worry that after college, I won't have time for a "social life" because I want to get an MD and I heard all doctors do is work, work, work, and during their rest time they just sleep.

Did I really miss out on a fun part of my life?
Go for it you'll love it. And you'll love it even more if the school has great football program that is doing well. There is nothing like being in the home crowd of big time college football stadium when the team is having a great season. The excitement is electric and the feeling is magical.

Old 02-22-2011, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
I'm not quite sure I understand your point
you say he is an MD, is her miserable, does he have a social life now?

Old 02-22-2011, 07:59 PM

915 posts, read 1,190,877 times
To the OP, you totally missed out on a great time! My advice to you, find whatever school earned Playboy's #1 party school ranking last year, and go there. Take out student loans till you're in debt up to your head, and use the money on beer and frat parties.

Best. Advice. Ever.

Old 02-22-2011, 08:06 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,784,939 times
jgamibi seems to me your parents know something about you to say they didn't see you were ready to take on the full responsibility of your life quite yet. I wouldn't interpret that as free ride coasting if I were you. That's an awfully expensive parking meter to sit at (a chair in college). The mentality of animal house 13th grade is the regret you'll have the rest of your life wondering what you could have done if only you grasped the lesson you were too hung over to comprehend. If only you hadn't been so distracted by shiny things.

The best years of your life-- you're really saying this at such a young age? hahahahaa Here's a secret. Best years of your life is mythology. Most older folks talking about glory days are looking at nostalgia believing that nothing that was before is possible today. In a way they're refusing to grow up and so sad they'd dump that on kids heads. Not all they say is wrong but take glory days stories in context.

The best years of your life can be made at any time in your life and are not limited to a finite quantity. Every year could be the best year of your life. It's the doing, the creation of that best year, the creation of happy memories, that makes them so great. It's also being aware of what there is to be grateful for because what you value in life is where your head & feet take you. Choose what you value wisely.

You do remember the joy of getting the acceptance letters to those schools, do you not? You had accomplished something for yourself and that was proof for all the world to see. Now go out and accomplish more. Get your hinney in that library. You'll find better quality, higher self disciplined friends there who won't drag you off the real mission; excellence.

Good luck, and God bless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities