Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2007, 07:49 PM

194 posts, read 281,120 times

Advertisements

Here is my situation I am 25 and making around $50K I am doing what my undergrad is in, but I have $60,000 in student loan but I am on the 20 year track and I consolidated when the interest was low so my payments are only $235 a month. I do not like the field that I work in. I went into it just because the money was good and I was guarenteed a job. Seeing so many people I went to school with don't have jobs I am now glad that I did. My loans are so high because my parents could help me out at all. The average student loan debt is like $13,000 how is this possible? I went to a cheap school $7,000 a year and I ended up racking up this amount of debt..

I was recently accepted into a graduate program at a school that I really want to atend I will be able to take night classes so I can keep my job but the program will cost about $25,000. This is something that I really want to do with my life and even if I don't get a job in the field it is closely related enough to what I do now that it will help my job prospects in this field.

I just don't want to be overburdened with more debt. What does everyone think? Any advice would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2007, 08:19 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,981,359 times
If this is the only debt you currently have - then I would not hesitate to get the graduate degree. Although you are on the 20 year plan, and indeed you will be obtaining more debt for more education - with nothing else over your head and a good paying job you could pay down this debt much faster. I know of couples with just 60k of income AND children who make ~1100.00 per month student loan payments to ensure that in ~10 years they won't have anything left. For you that would make you educational debt free by age 37 (considering it may take you ~2 years to get your graduate degree). It won't be easy - and you may question the sacrifices along the way to achieve this goal - but it is feasible.

If you are positive that the degree will both enable you to get a job you would be happy with, and also to earn more money, then I think you have your justification right there.

Lastly - once all the debt is acrued, post-graduation, seek out a new consolidation and payment plan (a new loan) - one that will better work with your new strategy, large balance, and new income.

Old 07-23-2007, 08:50 PM

194 posts, read 281,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbuszu View Post
If this is the only debt you currently have - then I would not hesitate to get the graduate degree. Although you are on the 20 year plan, and indeed you will be obtaining more debt for more education - with nothing else over your head and a good paying job you could pay down this debt much faster. I know of couples with just 60k of income AND children who make ~1100.00 per month student loan payments to ensure that in ~10 years they won't have anything left. For you that would make you educational debt free by age 37 (considering it may take you ~2 years to get your graduate degree). It won't be easy - and you may question the sacrifices along the way to achieve this goal - but it is feasible.

If you are positive that the degree will both enable you to get a job you would be happy with, and also to earn more money, then I think you have your justification right there.

Lastly - once all the debt is acrued, post-graduation, seek out a new consolidation and payment plan (a new loan) - one that will better work with your new strategy, large balance, and new income.
Thank you for your quick response! I have paid down my credit card debt from about 4,500 in the begining of the year to about 1,500 now. I also owe about 3,000 on my car I plan to drive it until it dies and then just buying a used one. Also I've been getting a lot of extra money taken out of taxes so I'll get a big tax return. Unfortunetly I live in the DC area and its very expense my rent is 900 a month I plan to move out and get a roomate when my lease expires. I had moved here not knowing anyone so I ended up living alone. My school loans should be my only debt by early next year with any luck.

I don't know if i'll earn more money with a grad degree but I do think it will be something I'll enjoy and I don't think I'll earn anything less. $1100 a month sure is a lot of Money! I think I'll go on the 20 year plan for this degree to I have been getting anxious lately to start a family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities