Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 03:15 PM

155 posts, read 291,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
I don't think there is really any good argument to enrolling at a for-profit school with the exception of convenience and inability to be accepted into a traditional program...

Reputation: For-profits have a less than stellar reputation with potential employers....the studies have been done and they show what one would expect, employers will take a brick and mortar grad over a for-profit on-line grad nearly every time.

Cost: Not even an argument, for-profits charge exorbitant fees' for diplomas that aren't worth the paper they are printed on. Predatory loan practices and hard sell tactics are rampant in this industry.

Graduation rate: Just horrible percentages which speaks to the industry's practice of taking all comers, no admission requirements or selectivity needed....

Future educational plans: Try to further your "education" outside of the online for-profit world. Good luck getting into a graduate program or having your credits transfer to a "real" school.
Yes, as always you are a staunch advocate for the public institutions that are generally failing our college students so miserably.

When the Department of Education and the politicians start holding these public institutions accountable for their enrollment practices, completion rates, and employment rates then we can talk about comparing these two sectors of higher education.

Old 08-21-2011, 06:50 PM

165 posts, read 323,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katet View Post
The same can be said for public institutions...do we want our higher education system owned and run by a bunch of bureaucrats and politicians? No, but that is what we have for the most part.
What brick and mortar institutions of highter education are owned and run by bureaucrats and politicians?

My rule of thumb: If your school was "founded" in the last decade, has a ticker on the stock market, than your school is crap and so is the degree that they confer to you.

Old 08-21-2011, 10:03 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,230,340 times
Quote:
Yes, as always you are a staunch advocate for the public institutions that are generally failing our college students so miserably.

When the Department of Education and the politicians start holding these public institutions accountable for their enrollment practices, completion rates, and employment rates then we can talk about comparing these two sectors of higher education.
We will NEVER be able to compare these 2 sectors of education because
YOUR sector (for-profit) isn't even in the discussion...

When you graduate less than 25 percent of those you enroll, when you have zero admission standards, when you charge twice as much per credit hour as a traditional school and offer nothing in return....what is the point of comparing these apples and oranges??

As always you offer NOTHING to bolster your untenable position that for-profits are viable alternatives to higher education...

Your post is meaningless....

What enrollment practices are in question at Public Universities? THEY actually have standards...

Completion rates at Public Universities are readily available...not a secret...and they make for-profits look like the joke they are....

Employment rates? Again, the information is out there, the studies have been performed...employers prefer brick and mortar grads over grads from fly by night for-profit diploma mills...big surprise.

Stop posting your nonsense unless you back it up with facts.....

Old 08-22-2011, 03:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
We will NEVER be able to compare these 2 sectors of education because
YOUR sector (for-profit) isn't even in the discussion...

When you graduate less than 25 percent of those you enroll, when you have zero admission standards, when you charge twice as much per credit hour as a traditional school and offer nothing in return....what is the point of comparing these apples and oranges??

As always you offer NOTHING to bolster your untenable position that for-profits are viable alternatives to higher education...

Your post is meaningless....

What enrollment practices are in question at Public Universities? THEY actually have standards...

Completion rates at Public Universities are readily available...not a secret...and they make for-profits look like the joke they are....

Employment rates? Again, the information is out there, the studies have been performed...employers prefer brick and mortar grads over grads from fly by night for-profit diploma mills...big surprise.

Stop posting your nonsense unless you back it up with facts.....
The for-profit sector is not mine to argue.

I will post as many posts as I want. Fortunately, you do not control who can post and how often.

It is not my goal to bolster a certain position within this forum, only to address mis-information from posters like you and others who hate the for-profits.

Where is your evidence that for-profits graduate less than 25% they enroll? They do have admissions standards and the tuition costs are comparable to some of the private universities. You provide only rhetoric and no substance to support that claims. Therefore, according to your criteria of substantive posts, your must be just a meaningless.

As for enrollment practices at the traditional collges/universities, we can start with the illegal practice of enrolling and incentivizing college athletes. NCAA.

Old 08-22-2011, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLBound09 View Post
What brick and mortar institutions of highter education are owned and run by bureaucrats and politicians?

My rule of thumb: If your school was "founded" in the last decade, has a ticker on the stock market, than your school is crap and so is the degree that they confer to you.
Really? Clearly you do not know much about higher education. Any college/university that receives state tax dollars or subsidies for the land and resources they use is run by bureaucrats and politicians.

Thankfully, our system of higher education is not determined by your rule of thumb. There would be millions of minority and non-traditional college students who would be unable to fullfill their dream of higher education.

Also, since when does a company's tax status and ticker symbol equal crap? Apple? Microsoft? Toyota? You do not know much about the economy and capitalism either.

Old 08-22-2011, 11:20 AM

378 posts, read 707,619 times
Quote:
Where is your evidence that for-profits graduate less than 25% they enroll? They do have admissions standards and the tuition costs are comparable to some of the private universities. You provide only rhetoric and no substance to support that claims. Therefore, according to your criteria of substantive posts, your must be just a meaningless.
Broken Promises: For-Profit Colleges Fail Our Students | Education Trust

"For-profits offering bachelor’s degrees in 2008 graduated, on average, just 22 percent of their first-time, full-time students seeking these degrees—compared with 55 percent of such students who earn a bachelor’s at public institutions and 65 percent who do so at private nonprofits."

Old 08-22-2011, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2018 View Post
Broken Promises: For-Profit Colleges Fail Our Students | Education Trust

"For-profits offering bachelor’s degrees in 2008 graduated, on average, just 22 percent of their first-time, full-time students seeking these degrees—compared with 55 percent of such students who earn a bachelor’s at public institutions and 65 percent who do so at private nonprofits."
This article is difficult to comprehend and misleading. The authors do not point to the correct table to back up this data; and this reported number does not include transfer students or part-time students.

How do they calculate this average? If someone can show me where in this article points to the 22% graduation rate for this cohort of students that would be great.

Let's not forget the also included this data:

"The graduation rates at two-year and less than two-year for-profi t colleges are better. At two-year for-profi ts, 60 percent of students earn an associate’s degree or certifi cate within three years. At less than two-year for-profi ts, 66 percent earn a credential within three years. These completion rates are considerably higher than the 22-percent rate at public community colleges."

Both the advocates and opposition to the private sector colleges/universities can cherry pick the data to support their position.

I suggest that the private sector colleges/universities be judged independently of one another...just as you would if you were choosing a traditional institution.

Old 08-22-2011, 01:39 PM

378 posts, read 707,619 times
Quote:
I suggest that the private sector colleges/universities be judged independently of one another...just as you would if you were choosing a traditional institution.
Pot, meet kettle...
Quote:

I agree that we should judge on an individual basis. That includes you.

Old 08-22-2011, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2018 View Post
Pot, meet kettle...

I agree that we should judge on an individual basis. That includes you.
Touché.

The for-profit haters in this forum speak in generalities all the time. Clearly I have fallen victim to this practice in my characterization of the traditional colleges/universities. Thanks for putting me in check.

Old 08-22-2011, 03:37 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,230,340 times
Quote:
The for-profit sector is not mine to argue.
I will post as many posts as I want. Fortunately, you do not control who can post and how often.

It is not my goal to bolster a certain position within this forum, only to address mis-information from posters like you and others who hate the for-profits.

As for enrollment practices at the traditional collges/universities, we can start with the illegal practice of enrolling and incentivizing college athletes. NCAA.
"The for-profit sector is not mine to argue?"

It's all you EVER argue, every post you have on this forum is in defense of the for-profit sector, every post...

I have posted my evidence multiple times in multiple threads on this topic where you always pop up....you keep pretending you haven't seen it...

The evidence to back up my position is there...

There is NO evidence to back your position which is probably why you have never posted any evidence to back your position....you NEVER provide anything BUT rhetoric
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities