Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2011, 01:56 PM

354 posts, read 617,749 times

Advertisements

Hello eveyone!

I am considering enrolling in an online masters program given be a brick and mortar college. I know there is a stigma against online degrees from for profit schools but does the same stigma apply for online degrees from not for profit colleges?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2011, 03:18 PM

12,104 posts, read 23,268,769 times
I don't think so, however, some people will still view it as being inferior somehow. I think more and more b&m schools are tapping into the online market. Some degrees it works well for, some it doesn't. I think it is important to look at what the purpose of the degree is before you decide if an online degree from a b&m is for you.

Old 03-12-2011, 07:27 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,901,626 times
The overall impression is definitely improving, as more and more state colleges and even some ivies implement online programs. In a lot of ways, the rules for online programs are the same as brick-and-mortar programs:

All brick-and-mortar universities cannot be lumped into the same category. Some are better than others. The same is true for online. And all academic programs from one particular brick-and-mortar university do not have the same reputation. Some programs have a better reputation than others. The same is true for online programs.

Although online academics are relatively new, some programs are older than others. Just as with brick and mortar programs, newer programs are going to be viewed with more skepticism by the professional community. It takes time to build a reputation.

And not every occupation has the same impression of online programs. It's a good idea to ask the professionals in your area about their opinions of this particular degree, from this particular program.

Old 03-13-2011, 08:22 AM

66 posts, read 182,817 times
Most brick and mortar schools won't specify how you attained the degree on your diploma and transcripts, so the only way an empolyer would know is if you worked in one state while going to a school in another state

Old 03-13-2011, 09:32 AM

4,796 posts, read 22,901,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonSavage View Post
Most brick and mortar schools won't specify how you attained the degree on your diploma and transcripts, so the only way an empolyer would know is if you worked in one state while going to a school in another state
Even that isn't so true anymore. I live in Washington DC, and here you can attend Boston University, University of California, or NYU--to name a few. These are brick-and-mortar campuses. It's probably more common in DC than elsewhere because there are a lot of people who are here for internships or political assignments who want to continue their studies while living here temporarily.

But still, you can't take a look at where people attended school and where they worked and assume they attended school online anymore. Everything's blurred.

Old 03-16-2011, 08:41 AM

66 posts, read 182,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
Even that isn't so true anymore. I live in Washington DC, and here you can attend Boston University, University of California, or NYU--to name a few. These are brick-and-mortar campuses. It's probably more common in DC than elsewhere because there are a lot of people who are here for internships or political assignments who want to continue their studies while living here temporarily.

But still, you can't take a look at where people attended school and where they worked and assume they attended school online anymore. Everything's blurred.
Internships and other temporary work assignment wouldn't raise the online flag because most "traditional" students participate in those type of programs.(I go to a brick-and-mortar university in Atlanta and I have potential internships in NC, DC, and AL)

I'm referring to the paralegal in New Jersey who gets her BA from a school in Minnesota. I would think most hiring managers would assume that this person must have gone to school online to complete such a feat. No?

Old 04-19-2011, 09:50 PM

1,149 posts, read 1,590,630 times
I did extensive research on this in years past, because I really enjoy online classes. Here's what I found (the short, convenient version):

1) Online degrees from brick and mortar schools are fine. There is nothing on the degree that says it was online. No one will ever know.

2) Online degrees from online schools, rightly or not, are frowned upon. I personally see no loss of value in online classes versus brick and mortar classes like so many do, especially from a brick and mortar school. More of them need to offer such programs.

Old 04-24-2011, 01:41 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,118,398 times
I'm doing online accounting classes from a public school in Oregon and I'm in Texas... doesn't matter as long as at the end of the day, I can qualify to take the CPA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities