Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2014, 12:33 PM

41 posts, read 113,564 times

Advertisements

I have a degree in Psychology that I got from a California State School about 6-7 years ago. I'm trying to figure out whether to get a 2nd Degree in CS, or to get a Masters degree. I already took about three classes last fall (Programming, Web Design, etc.), and have Calculus, Java, C, Web Development scheduled this spring (I'm taking these at a CC).

In California, the UC's are the elite schools, and they are my preference as far as where I would want to get my degree. They also pretty much don't accept second degree's (a select few do), and the California State schools typically do.

I've been pretty busy lately, so I haven't been able to talk directly to these schools in regards to the requirements for their masters programs, but in general, I found it a little hard to find specific course requirements to get into these masters programs. Just wanted to see if anyone here had any thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2014, 03:38 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,092,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leo255 View Post
I have a degree in Psychology that I got from a California State School about 6-7 years ago. I'm trying to figure out whether to get a 2nd Degree in CS, or to get a Masters degree. I already took about three classes last fall (Programming, Web Design, etc.), and have Calculus, Java, C, Web Development scheduled this spring (I'm taking these at a CC).

In California, the UC's are the elite schools, and they are my preference as far as where I would want to get my degree. They also pretty much don't accept second degree's (a select few do), and the California State schools typically do.

I've been pretty busy lately, so I haven't been able to talk directly to these schools in regards to the requirements for their masters programs, but in general, I found it a little hard to find specific course requirements to get into these masters programs. Just wanted to see if anyone here had any thoughts.
I would go for the Masters.

The only thing is you might have to do many prereqs to get that masters, you might as well do the bachelors...

Admission Prerequisites | Graduate Program | CSE Department at the OSU

That's just an example. That's 8 classes and they usually can't be taken all at the same time, so you might be looking at 3 semesters. At that point, might consider just doing the bachelors.

Old 02-08-2014, 08:12 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,268,773 times
My second degree is a cs undergrad because I didn't feel prepared to tackle a masters, and the local universities at the time had accelerated masters 'leveling' classes which were compressed and meet longer than typical classes. I took the slow and deliberate route which was hard enough, although tons of foreign students with engineering degrees were successful with the accelerated masters format. Anyway, you already have some cs background, so the masters sounds like a good route for you. I think the entry requirements vary from school to school though. At the place I went it was basically the cs courses you take in your first two years as prerequisite. I loved cs by the way, but I was not one of those that just 'got it' without lots of studying.

Old 02-09-2014, 11:15 AM

41 posts, read 113,564 times
Thanks, guys. Really appreciate the input. I think the really important thing here is that I just don't want to take classes that end up wasting my time/money. I think for a lot of the UC's, they want you to take a sequence of Physics or Chemistry, and I would obviously rather spend my time on IT/software related classes. Even the math, I feel, somewhat takes away from the time I'm able to learn/practice programming, especially my last pre-calculus class, which I took during the winter break and finished a few days ago (4.5 hours a day, plus 3 hours/day studying). Hardly did any programming at all in that period of time, and I really don't like that.

@jobaba, thanks for the link. Those look like very sensible pre-requisites. Although I know they aren't the same for every school, I assume they probably won't differ too much.

@DanielWayne, thanks for your input. May I ask how easy/difficult it was for you to find a job afterwards?

Old 02-09-2014, 07:39 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,268,773 times
When I finished with CS, it was a different time than now, so my results will not be reflective of the current economy. Back then it was easy to land a job. I went to a lesser known state school for CS, probably even a tier below your California State schools, and I ended up with a large NASA contractor. I wasn't some whiz kid from a top program. I am sure it's harder now, but there are always job openings in CS somewhere.

Old 02-10-2014, 10:42 AM

35,066 posts, read 31,293,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
I would go for the Masters.

The only thing is you might have to do many prereqs to get that masters, you might as well do the bachelors...

Admission Prerequisites | Graduate Program | CSE Department at the OSU

That's just an example. That's 8 classes and they usually can't be taken all at the same time, so you might be looking at 3 semesters. At that point, might consider just doing the bachelors.
This is probably what you're looking at. Most master's programs will want you to have a closely related degree. While you might be admitted conditionally, if you go straight to the master's program, you could take as much or nearly as much of the material as if you had just gotten a traditional bachelor's. If you have to take a bunch of the prereqs, I would just get the bachelor's, so you wouldn't be left empty-handed if you cannot complete the master's for whatever reason.

Old 02-14-2014, 10:05 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,922,581 times
CS seems to change so often, I'd work to get experience in that field rather than a Masters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities