Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 08:27 PM

10 posts, read 29,572 times

Advertisements

I am an undergrad student pursuing a BA in Early Childhood with a double major in Literature. I was given the choice to choose between Literature/Communications or Social Sciences in my first year of college. Now thinking back on my choice, I would rather be a counselor and study Child Psychology/School Counseling. It would have been easier if I was a Sophomore, but since it is my senior year, I do not want to take extra classes and prolong the years of obtaining my degree. So, my question is would I be able to apply for a masters program in School Counseling even though I've taken one Psychology class (Psychology 101)? Or should I just stay with my BA degree and teach?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2011, 06:32 AM

155 posts, read 291,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transient Dreams View Post
I am an undergrad student pursuing a BA in Early Childhood with a double major in Literature. I was given the choice to choose between Literature/Communications or Social Sciences in my first year of college. Now thinking back on my choice, I would rather be a counselor and study Child Psychology/School Counseling. It would have been easier if I was a Sophomore, but since it is my senior year, I do not want to take extra classes and prolong the years of obtaining my degree. So, my question is would I be able to apply for a masters program in School Counseling even though I've taken one Psychology class (Psychology 101)? Or should I just stay with my BA degree and teach?
How about a Masters program in Social Work rather than a Psychology? At the Masters level the field of social work is more accepted and easier to find work across state lines than a psychology degree.

Old 06-22-2011, 01:15 PM

Really? Why would it be easier to get a Masters degree in Social Work? I thought Social work would be considered too general (like Liberal arts).

Old 06-22-2011, 01:43 PM

2,612 posts, read 5,588,188 times
Look for a graduate program in school counseling that leads to a counseling certification for k-12. I think your early childhood degree might be enough to get you into one. Look around for some that interest you and then call them and ask (you might even find the info on a website). I knew school counselors that didn't have degrees in psychology, so there must be alternatives, at least in some states.

Old 06-22-2011, 01:43 PM

5,342 posts, read 6,170,819 times
I'm kind of confused about what you want to do. Do you want to be a school psychologist or a school counselor? I am not sure you even need a master's degree (specifically not in psychology) if you want to just become a school counselor and fairly certain you would need a PhD if you want to become a school psychologist. I would look into it a little more, however you will definitely need more than Psych 101, if you want to apply to graduate school in psychology.

Old 06-22-2011, 03:40 PM

Ok I would like to do both majors. I want to be a part-time school counselor and a teacher. I live in NY and my advisor told me that I would need my masters to teach. The starting salary is about 30,000-40,000,so maybe the school counseling would help me. I would like to talk directly to the children about their problems, so I believe School Psychology is not for me.

Old 06-22-2011, 03:55 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,814,616 times
Quote:
Really? Why would it be easier to get a Masters degree in Social Work? I thought Social work would be considered too general (like Liberal arts).
There are different concentrations and certifications associated with Social Work. You would just get the appropriate ones.

But from what you just said, if you want to teach you need the teaching degree first. Either way you will need a graduate education, so look for ed programs that will let you combine your interests.

Do you know what the teaching requirements are in your state?

Old 06-22-2011, 06:36 PM

2,612 posts, read 5,588,188 times
Quote:
Ok I would like to do both majors. I want to be a part-time school counselor and a teacher. I live in NY and my advisor told me that I would need my masters to teach. The starting salary is about 30,000-40,000,so maybe the school counseling would help me. I would like to talk directly to the children about their problems, so I believe School Psychology is not for me.
You might consider another state besides NY if you are not bound there for some reason. I would suggest VA or MD - I think the job market is better for teachers, the districts are larger than in NY, and the requirements are more lenient. You could look for graduate programs in these states and see what turns up.

Old 06-23-2011, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
There are different concentrations and certifications associated with Social Work. You would just get the appropriate ones.

But from what you just said, if you want to teach you need the teaching degree first. Either way you will need a graduate education, so look for ed programs that will let you combine your interests.

Do you know what the teaching requirements are in your state?
After the Initial Certification(which is valid for three years), I would need the Professional Certification involving these requirements:

-Master’s degree
-Three years’ teaching experience.
-Requires one year of mentored teaching experience.
No examinations required.

I would try to find programs that would combine both areas.

Old 06-23-2011, 07:41 AM

22 posts, read 62,781 times
You can get into a school counseling / mental health counseling program with any liberal arts undergraduate and (usually) a 3.0. Most programs will require that you have at least 9 credits of psychology in undergrad, however, you can make these up before matriculating in a program. I would also advise doing two internships and getting double certified / licensed in Counseling and Mental Health, if your program will allow, for greater career flexibility.

To be a school Psychologist requires anywhere from a Masters, a P.D., or a PhD, depending on the amount of research you want to do in addition to your certification.

To be a high school teacher, you will want to major in undergraduate in the subject you wish to teach, then pursue your Masters in education.

To teach in a private school, you do not need certification, only experience and a degree in your subject.

If you go into elementary education, I would STRONGLY advise getting certified in Special Ed.

As to counseling vs. social work, there are pros and cons to both:

Counseling - Pros: Work in schools, hospitals, and agencies, private practice, good base for an eventual PhD. Careers in schools and universities usually pays MUCH more, with better hours, benefits, and vacations than careers in hospitals and agencies. Cons: agency and hospital work is extremely competative with social work, counseling degree is not as recognized in some social work agencies as an MSW.

Social Work - Pros: Well established credential for work in hospitals and agencies, very strong networks with other professionals. Generally has more internship hours and training than counseling. Cons: Not as applicable to working in schools (although there are occasionally school social workers), generally low pay in the field, not the best path if you want to eventually get a Doctorate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities