Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2012, 07:46 PM

1 posts, read 2,904 times

Advertisements

Specifically let's say going University of Washington if I go to Cal State Northridge for undergrad?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2012, 10:01 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
That depends entirely on grades, courses you take, research experience, major, test scores, ...

But yes, you can.

Old 03-02-2012, 10:06 PM

434 posts, read 684,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
That depends entirely on grades, courses you take, research experience, major, test scores, ...

But yes, you can.
I agree. You can get in if you have the requisite scores, GPA, etc. Talk with your faculty about the best approach to take to getting into the graduate schools of your choice.

Old 03-03-2012, 07:41 AM

24,097 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Why not?

Old 03-03-2012, 10:24 AM

6,616 posts, read 13,824,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConcernedlStudent View Post
Specifically let's say going University of Washington if I go to Cal State Northridge for undergrad?
Of course you can, just make sure your academic resume from your undergrad school was outstanding as far as your test scores, extracurricular activities, and all that good stuff goes.

Old 03-03-2012, 12:34 PM

12 posts, read 26,275 times
so yeah you can um yeah do it...so yeah...lol

Old 03-03-2012, 12:49 PM

682 posts, read 2,422,358 times
Yes. I went to Portland State for undergrad before getting into a grad program at UW. PSU is a fine school but not the most highly ranked. I had lots of extra curricular activities relevant to my grad program, a good GPA and good GRE score. Other students who also ended up in the program from PSU had research experience as undergrads (along with extra curricular activities).

It might depend on your specific program though.

Old 03-03-2012, 01:00 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,357,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConcernedlStudent View Post
Wow, I want to be careful here. UW is considered a great grad school in most fields and is also a popular choice for obvious reasons. Coming from a CSU, you will have to present a high GPA and good GRE/GMAT/whatever scores to get in, in additionally to having something else in your corner - relevant activities or work/research experience. UW is flagship for the PNW, as are the better UCs for California. Still, you can get in. You just have your work cut out for you. And, sorry if I missed what your proposed major at CSUN and graduate field of study are. Some programs at UW are very competitive and some not so much. I took some undergraduate courses at CSUN and CSUF and transferred them onto my univ. transcript and liked both of those schools, particularly Fullerton. I think the difference is that the UC system has more "ivory tower" researchers. The CSU system seems to have better teaching.

Old 03-05-2012, 12:26 PM

4,677 posts, read 5,764,147 times
I went to the University of Iowa for undergrad in Geography, and had no problem getting offers from top notch programs. I even landed a system fellowship for the UC system.
It can definitely be done (and I did this after an undergraduate transfer where I barely had a high enough GPA to transfer, but then dramatically turned around my last 2 years GPA.)

Old 11-20-2017, 03:03 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,913,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
I went to the University of Iowa for undergrad in Geography, and had no problem getting offers from top notch programs. I even landed a system fellowship for the UC system.
It can definitely be done (and I did this after an undergraduate transfer where I barely had a high enough GPA to transfer, but then dramatically turned around my last 2 years GPA.)
Iowa is pretty well regarded; it's not Cal State Northridge. Congratulations though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities