Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2011, 11:45 AM

310 posts, read 1,357,393 times

Advertisements

What are the best paying associates degrees, but also guaranteed work after obtaining it? I am torn between getting an associate degree, since it doesn't take so long, or going the distance and trying for dentist. I'm 26 years old with 2 kids. I want a higher education but can't decide what path would be best. Dentist would be guaranteed work, great pay, but takes a long time. I was thinking maybe dental hygienist, but after personally speaking with someone who does it for a living, said it's not a secure job. Was this accurate or do you think she was wrong? I've heard different things about dental hygienist. If I could handle the things they do, I'd go for nursing, but there is just no way. I can handle the human mouth, but I don't want to wipe up human excrement. I commend people who can do that. Not for me though. As you may notice, I'm sorta confused about what I want to pursue. Advice/thoughts?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2011, 04:48 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,328,506 times
Not technically an associates degree but ultrasound technologists here start at around $60,000.

Old 07-27-2011, 04:31 PM

4,885 posts, read 7,293,397 times
I can't imagine where being a hygenist is considered a not secure job. Here most of them work for themselves out of a dentist office. I have three friends who are dental hygenist and they are booked every hour, wall to wall, four or five days weekly. One of them actually has two offices, she works out of one two days and the other three days. She says she could work all day on every Saturday, if she was willing to. Another friend only works on Friday, Sat, Sun and Mon. This is his choice of days to work.

Now that most insurances pay for two dental cleanings annually, it would seem to me that any preventative treatment would be highly secure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities