Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 09:20 AM

360 posts, read 1,019,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
Actually anyone gets in with a chance to prove themselves while getting their AA. Then they can get into a legit university and pay much less for a far superior education.

An AA isn't much different than a bachelors from a for profit. The main difference is after you get your AA you can actually get a degree from a four year university and be able to attend a real graduate/PHD program. You can pretty much forget the chance of getting into a good masters or PHD program at a university with a for profit bachelors. If you do manage to get in they likely don't take many of your credits.
Exactly. No legit grad school is going to take a BS/BA from DeVry, Kaplan, University of Phoenix, ITT, etc. I realize not everyone wants to go to the Ivy League but if your flagship state university won't acknowledge your degree, if your degree doesn't allow you to sit for major certifications like the CPA exam, then it's a complete waste of money.

I really really wish people wouldn't look down on community colleges. Most (if not all) community colleges have transfer agreements with local 4 year schools where a student in good standing can transfer in as a junior with all their credits accepted. An AS/AA from a community college can be as cheap as $6000-$7000 for 2 years of school. That's a downright bargain for credits that can actually TRANSFER. Also, so many of these schools have assistance programs for students who need help in reading/writing and math to get people up to speed. I get it's not as "cool" to be in a 2 year program but AS/AA from a CC totally trumps a BS/BA from an online diploma mill.

Old 07-20-2011, 09:20 PM

1,851 posts, read 3,400,689 times
Valid point about Community Colleges. They are way undervalued in my opinion. I'm only okay with legitimate, regionally accredited colleges and universities that offer online programs/degrees. Which are very different from diploma mills like Kaplan (A Washington Post Company, BTW) and ITT, etc.

Still, young students who don't have the hectic schedules of work, family, and other things, really should attend a CC if they are not prepared for or cannot afford a 4-year university.

Old 07-20-2011, 10:11 PM

32 posts, read 62,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
A Phd in education is not worthless but almost no one has one. What most "education degrees" are are EdDs. And I agree not particularly meaningful beyond getting people to read some research.

What about employers that aren't willing to pay people with higher education? I have heard so many people say that can't find a job because they are "over qualified." Employers don't want to pay people what they are worth so they don't hire them. With unemployment so high, people with MBAs, PhDs, and bachelors are competing for the same jobs.

Old 07-20-2011, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCavalier View Post
Quite obviously you know nothing about what you write. 100% online colleges are a farce. Most of the for-profits are in business to get federal money for the customers and pocket good profits. I have taught for six years at for-profit schools. Most students do not have the reading and writing skills to do college work, even then few receive a recognized degree. The classroom experience cannot be replaced, let alone the full experience on campus/boarding. Online college is like saying if one has personal intimate friends on Facebook, it is better than interacting together. Nah!
What about the online schools that have you take assessment tests and place you in lower English and math classes because of the scores? Do they just have people take those tests to make it seem like they care? Do they place all students, no matter what they score on these test, in the same classes? I am sorry, but I took one of those math placement tests; and they are not easy by any stretch of the imagination.

What about older adults that have families and work full-time jobs? Many older students that choose to go back to school don't want to go to frat parties. And how ridiculous would they look at one. I can only imagine my 41-year-old self rolling up to a party with 21 year olds. And most adults that even attend on campus go to class, learn, and go home. Sure it's great to communicate with your class mates, but who do you think has made social media so popular. It's not the adults. It's the younger generation. I can only imagine how many of those students sitting in class right now texting and surfing the internet instead of listening and taking notes in their lecture. That is how the younger generation communicate. They would rather text their friends sitting right next to them than actually talk to them face-to-face.

I am considering just getting an AAS at a for-profit school in Health Information Technology. I am also considering taking the same program through a community college that offers it entirely online. The state that I live in does not offer an AHIMA accredited program at a college other than a for-profit school. Whether you go to a community college, four-year college, or an online college, in order to be able to become certified in the field, you have take an exam that is accredited through AHIMA. Employers prefer to hire students that have their certification. Now, all of these schools have to go through the same process to become accredited. If you attended a school that has that accreditation, why would it matter what form you got it from? All the schools had to go through the same process to receive that accreditation. So you are telling me because I took a program entirely online through a community college instead of a for-profit, I would get hired quicker? We are discriminating against a school name then and not whether it was online or not. Employers do that all the time no matter what school one goes to. So you would probably say that UVA is a better school than Virginia Tech.

What we need to do is hold these for-profit online schools accountable for their bad practices on financial aid, paying their employees for recruiting students, and giving out false information. It isn't that the programs and classes are bad, it's the way they are making money off of it. Most of the older generation know exactly what they are getting into when they go to these schools. It is the younger generation that figure out how much they are paying that drop out. Or the ones that thought online schools would be easier when they aren't.

Debbie

Old 07-20-2011, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower7 View Post
I really really wish people wouldn't look down on community colleges. Most (if not all) community colleges have transfer agreements with local 4 year schools where a student in good standing can transfer in as a junior with all their credits accepted. An AS/AA from a community college can be as cheap as $6000-$7000 for 2 years of school. That's a downright bargain for credits that can actually TRANSFER. Also, so many of these schools have assistance programs for students who need help in reading/writing and math to get people up to speed. I get it's not as "cool" to be in a 2 year program but AS/AA from a CC totally trumps a BS/BA from an online diploma mill.
I agree. My little sister graduated high school a year early with a 4.13. She has been in honor classes all her life. Guess what, she's going to a CC! Because she graduated at 17, the parentals don't think she is mature enough to handle going away to a four-year college. She wanted to be a doctor. So now she is going to the local community college for nursing and will set her sights higher after that. Community colleges are need in our communities. They offer our children a great experience and opportunity for learning. I hope people don't loose sight of that.

Old 07-21-2011, 05:38 AM

5,500 posts, read 10,525,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttercup215 View Post
What about the online schools that have you take assessment tests and place you in lower English and math classes because of the scores? Do they just have people take those tests to make it seem like they care? Do they place all students, no matter what they score on these test, in the same classes? I am sorry, but I took one of those math placement tests; and they are not easy by any stretch of the imagination.

What about older adults that have families and work full-time jobs? Many older students that choose to go back to school don't want to go to frat parties. And how ridiculous would they look at one. I can only imagine my 41-year-old self rolling up to a party with 21 year olds. And most adults that even attend on campus go to class, learn, and go home. Sure it's great to communicate with your class mates, but who do you think has made social media so popular. It's not the adults. It's the younger generation. I can only imagine how many of those students sitting in class right now texting and surfing the internet instead of listening and taking notes in their lecture. That is how the younger generation communicate. They would rather text their friends sitting right next to them than actually talk to them face-to-face.

I am considering just getting an AAS at a for-profit school in Health Information Technology. I am also considering taking the same program through a community college that offers it entirely online. The state that I live in does not offer an AHIMA accredited program at a college other than a for-profit school. Whether you go to a community college, four-year college, or an online college, in order to be able to become certified in the field, you have take an exam that is accredited through AHIMA. Employers prefer to hire students that have their certification. Now, all of these schools have to go through the same process to become accredited. If you attended a school that has that accreditation, why would it matter what form you got it from? All the schools had to go through the same process to receive that accreditation. So you are telling me because I took a program entirely online through a community college instead of a for-profit, I would get hired quicker? We are discriminating against a school name then and not whether it was online or not. Employers do that all the time no matter what school one goes to. So you would probably say that UVA is a better school than Virginia Tech.

What we need to do is hold these for-profit online schools accountable for their bad practices on financial aid, paying their employees for recruiting students, and giving out false information. It isn't that the programs and classes are bad, it's the way they are making money off of it. Most of the older generation know exactly what they are getting into when they go to these schools. It is the younger generation that figure out how much they are paying that drop out. Or the ones that thought online schools would be easier when they aren't.

Debbie
Mostly they are. Just look at the graduation rates and job placement.

Old 07-21-2011, 07:50 AM

155 posts, read 291,837 times
Quote:
Mostly they are. Just look at the graduation rates and job placement.
Can you be more specific in your response to Buttercup215...what about the graduation rates and job placement?

Old 07-21-2011, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katet View Post
Can you be more specific in your response to Buttercup215...what about the graduation rates and job placement?
They can find them in any of the other threads you have asked for them.

Old 07-21-2011, 09:07 AM

Quote:
They can find them in any of the other threads you have asked for them.

I am not sure that those graduation rates are directly related to the actual course information. I see many more complaints about why people leave those types of schools is because of financial aid problems, either running out of money or not realizing until later on how much the tuition actually is and the enormous loans that they have accumulated. I also think that the job placement rates are probably directly related to the bad rep these schools have gotten because of this issue. People automatically think that these reports about the bad financial practices directly relate to bad course content.

I would also like to see those statistics broken down by the students ages. I would also like to see a study done on just course material not graduation rates.

Old 07-21-2011, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttercup215 View Post
I am not sure that those graduation rates are directly related to the actual course information. I see many more complaints about why people leave those types of schools is because of financial aid problems, either running out of money or not realizing until later on how much the tuition actually is and the enormous loans that they have accumulated. I also think that the job placement rates are probably directly related to the bad rep these schools have gotten because of this issue. People automatically think that these reports about the bad financial practices directly relate to bad course content.

I would also like to see those statistics broken down by the students ages. I would also like to see a study done on just course material not graduation rates.
So your suggesting that teachers who have inferior educational backgrounds that can't get jobs at universities are teaching courses at the same level as universities? To students who mostly don't graduate or get jobs if they graduate?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities