Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2011, 12:19 PM

3,504 posts, read 3,924,430 times

Advertisements

i was planning to finish a bachelors but not interested in it anymore.

want to get a technical degree in the computer field and go at it that way.

what do you guys think
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2011, 03:27 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,090,021 times
Its a bad idea, your "tech job" will be automated over the years and you'll be at back where you started.

Old 07-17-2011, 03:50 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,845,258 times
How close are you to completing the BS degree?

Old 07-17-2011, 05:05 PM

3,504 posts, read 3,924,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
How close are you to completing the BS degree?
2 years away. the reason why i know i should just quit is because i have to convince myself to keep going and have no interest in the classes im taking.

might just quit and grab a second job, since im just working 30 hrs a week now.

not going to go in debt over a degree i wont even use.

Old 07-17-2011, 06:22 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,515,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
2 years away. the reason why i know i should just quit is because i have to convince myself to keep going and have no interest in the classes im taking.

Most people will do the "stay in college" mantra, but the really honest assessment is the one you have already done.

College degrees are being pushed like crazy now, and there will be a glut of degrees out there which will be meaningless. This is happening now. I say go to college if it is a means to an end, and you can afford it. If you find a trade or profession you want to go into, and a degree is the way to go, then do it. But I think people are finding other ways to learn how to do things, off of other people, becoming creative about it, since they don't want to invest something like $100K and get out and not find a job.

I went back and "retrained" for the new economy, and still have a $20K loan to repay. I went to a college.
When I went into this, there were jobs.

But colleges and small "trade" schools spring up and catch wind of where there are jobs and jobs that make money.

My field is so saturated now, and I am at the top of my game, I know my stuff, and I have done everything I have needed to do to be accomplished.

But there are no jobs.

I lost a job last year, did per diem work, and now have a temp job that will end soon. Like a lot of my colleagues, I will be out of work again.

Employers love lots of new grads to keep pay low and have many to choose from.

If I had to do it again, I would have not gotten another degree, I would have learned something I could do with my hands, and that is coming from someone who likes to learn and has a decent IQ.

Old 07-17-2011, 06:38 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,023,210 times
Quote:
i was planning to finish a bachelors but not interested in it anymore.

want to get a technical degree in the computer field and go at it that way.

what do you guys think
When I was in the middle of my bachelors degree, I wanted to quit and pursue a technical degree in computer graphics. Fortunately for me, my mom talked me out of the idea. When I took a few computer graphic elective courses at my campus, I realized that wasn't even the field for me. I'm now working in a field that I enjoy and would not have been able to gain employment without my masters degree in counseling (which required the BA degree). I'd say complete your bachelors degree then pursue any technical training if you feel that it would enhance your qualifications. Times are rough and without a degree, you may find yourself at a disadvantage in the job market.

Old 07-17-2011, 06:40 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,023,210 times
Quote:

What major are you currently pursuing? Maybe you need to switch to another major that would capture your interests and that would be marketable, such as computer science/engineering?

Old 07-18-2011, 10:11 AM

143 posts, read 378,038 times
Why not switch to computer science or computer engineering? That degree will open up more options for you in the technical fields, allow your more upward mobility, and would not take too much longer than a vocational degree (2 yrs vs maybe 2-3yrs of college). I worked in IT. In our company, especially during an economic downturn, our HR has said they don't even look at anyone without a BS/BA in a technical field. My friends who work for other companies (Boeing, Microsoft etc) all had to have a BS minimally to get a foot in the door.

Old 07-20-2011, 09:25 AM

360 posts, read 1,019,494 times
I'd change majors if you're only a sophomore and don't like your major. Hell, I changed majors 3 times as an undergrad and somehow ended up graduating as a double major.

Unless you want to do something like plumbing or be an electrician, you're better off having a college degree since it seems to be a weed-out tool these days to even be considered for a job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities