Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 04:54 AM

5,500 posts, read 10,531,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
We are in total agreement.

My only thing is this:

I first went to school over 10 years ago.

School has been SO dumbed (yes, that's intentional) down that it's almost funny if it were not of such concern.

(I'm slightly obsessive compulsive and turn in work early, go over it several times etc)

HOWEVER: I see SO MANY people coasting through... I don't see much work is required to get 'A degree at a real university'

Which IMHO has a lot to do with the lack of perceived worth that we are seeing.

I can live off my pension (Although it would be tight) But I have several expensive habits (Girls, guns, and Motorcycles)

So I'll play the game.
That all depends on what university and program you are in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2011, 09:41 AM

44 posts, read 116,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloTransplant View Post
I happen to be in Erie County, NY. This college promotes fast degrees for adults. It isn't a "diploma mill"; it just does things quickly

Degrees for Adult and Graduate Students | Medaille College Buffalo Amherst Rochester NY

Look at the accelerated learning program for adults. I am sure many other "real" colleges do this.
Interesting link. I was reading more about their program. A BBA in as little as 1 year for meeting twice per week, and transferring in with 60hrs of credit. If you are interested in this program, I would clarify the fact on the intro page, it has a blurb about the fast track program meeting twice a week and doing 4 classes, but when you click on the fast forward option it shows 5 classes per semester.

Quote:
Fast Forward Program
You can complete your BBA in one year while attending class during the day. Students are enrolled in four classes at a time, each meet once a week for four hours and classes are always on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
Bachelor of Business Administration | Medaille College Buffalo Amherst Rochester NY

Quote:
Course Sequence

Semester 1

GEN 303 Critical Thinking and Learning
MGT 310 Contemporary Management & Leadership
ACC 304 Current Issues in Financial Accounting
ENG 361 Advanced Business Report Writing
BUS 470 Business Strategy Internship and Capstone

Semester 2

MAT 203 Statistics for Today's Businesses
MKT 346 Managing the Market Function
ECO 301 Concepts in Economics
BUS 301 Legal and Ethical Issues in Business

Semester 3

FNS 203 Principles of Finance
MGT 366 Organizational Development and Behavior
ACC 315 Accounting Analysis and Decision Making
BUS 445 Case Studies in Global Strategy
Fast Forward: Bachelor in Business Administration | Medaille College Buffalo Amherst Rochester NY

Old 06-28-2012, 10:15 AM

1 posts, read 1,342 times
Default There is a way

Speaking as a former admissions advisor and transcript evaluation rep for two online colleges. There is a way to "bypass" certain criteria. You just have to know the procedures and measures that colleges take.
To be frank, colleges have become a money grab. I don't like it, but that's the way that it is. If you want to know more about some of these loopholes.

I can't promise that it will work for everyone, but it's a way to earn a legitimate degree from a legitimate school, (accredited by the Department of Education and/or CHEA) in a fraction of the time, and for a fraction of the money.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 06-28-2012 at 11:21 AM.. Reason: removed e-mail address. Solicitation is NOT allowed on this forum.

Old 06-30-2012, 06:31 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,531,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeb21 View Post
Speaking as a former admissions advisor and transcript evaluation rep for two online colleges. There is a way to "bypass" certain criteria. You just have to know the procedures and measures that colleges take.
To be frank, colleges have become a money grab. I don't like it, but that's the way that it is. If you want to know more about some of these loopholes.

I can't promise that it will work for everyone, but it's a way to earn a legitimate degree from a legitimate school, (accredited by the Department of Education and/or CHEA) in a fraction of the time, and for a fraction of the money.
Most don't consider online for-profits legitimate degrees. It's certainly better than just buying one I guess.

Old 07-01-2012, 08:29 PM

24,144 posts, read 32,557,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikestylez View Post
Hello I have an ok job and about 50-59 college credits.
I work for a small company now and everybody at my job has a degree.
I think they assumed,I had a degree and never checked,because alot of small buisness dont like spending money on college background checks,but there is also a guy at my job with just an associates so maybe they dont care.

anyway i just want a quick rinky dink degree online on something just
to have it in my tool box it could be a BS liberal arts degree or buisness adminastration degree, I just want it to be fast as possible and online preferably
because my job travels alot.

Im just afraid if I ever got laid off my options would be limited
to small companies or hourly jobs.

Are there any diploma mills or pretty fast online schools at decent prices
that are relativly easy work wise,that will pass educational background checks.
I'd never recommend a diploma mill and I don't know why you would ask such a question.

I worked in Human Resources and I scrutinized every application. We also had a problem with people from fundamentalist Christian colleges. We did not want biased people who would proselytize to our clients.

Look up Empire State College. It's part of SUNY. I do not recommend and for profit colleges.

Most people know their names and they are poison.

Old 12-09-2014, 01:55 AM

1 posts, read 781 times
These people need to relax. I'm in the same boat. I'm a traveling sales rep and have the job of my dreams. I would love to have a BA I could fall back on IF I needed to. But I already make more money than a 28 year old knows what to do with. I might as well buy a degree. I'm not scared to say it. I travel all over the world, I don't have time to "earn a real degree" I'm too busy already being successful. You took your path to go to a great college and accumulate a ton of dept. I took my mine. Don't hold yourself up on the pedistal to high or I might not tip you at the chillies your working at to pay for your "earned degree"!

Old 12-09-2014, 07:13 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,567,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grillking View Post
These people need to relax. I'm in the same boat. I'm a traveling sales rep and have the job of my dreams. I would love to have a BA I could fall back on IF I needed to. But I already make more money than a 28 year old knows what to do with. I might as well buy a degree. I'm not scared to say it. I travel all over the world, I don't have time to "earn a real degree" I'm too busy already being successful. You took your path to go to a great college and accumulate a ton of dept. I took my mine. Don't hold yourself up on the pedestal to high or I might not tip you at the Chili's your working at to pay for your "earned degree"!
So glad you bumped up this thread! To posters - This thread was started in 2011.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities