Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 06:03 PM

30 posts, read 78,110 times

Advertisements

I am a high school senior who wants to go out of state for college and I want to get residency so I dont have to pay the prices. Is this a good idea?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2011, 05:29 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerriblank View Post
Is taking a gap year a good idea?
Depends; usually and mostly on grades/academics.
Quote:
...out of state for college ...residency
Is this a good idea?
No; and besides that it still won't work.

hth

Old 11-04-2011, 07:34 AM

2,991 posts, read 4,290,539 times
I agree that it's probably not a good idea. But it has been done, although it's a long shot at best. In NC, you need to demonstrate a "preponderance of the evidence" case that you are a legitimate "domicile" here, at least 12 months before the first day of class. Putting this case together is not easy -- it requires more than simply living here. The following can help: tax returns, driver's license, jury duty, property ownership, and the like. They want to know where you have lived previously, where your parents have lived over the course of many years, where you and they have earned income and paid taxes, and other questions of the same nature. All this is really hard to get going between high-school graduation and one year before the first day of class. Look on the UNC website, for example, to get more (and better) information.

Old 11-04-2011, 09:37 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerriblank View Post
I am a high school senior who wants to go out of state for college and I want to get residency so I dont have to pay the prices. Is this a good idea?
No, if you're planning to move to Colorado. You don't have to just live here; you have to be emancipated. You can google in-state tuition requirements to find out what all that mean.

Old 11-04-2011, 11:35 AM

5,730 posts, read 10,128,682 times
You will often loose availability of some assistance.

SOME schools/states if you have a local DL before applying... that counts as residency.

Check the regs.

Old 11-04-2011, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
You will often loose availability of some assistance.

SOME schools/states if you have a local DL before applying... that counts as residency.

Check the regs.
It's way more than a driver's license. If your parents in another state claim you as a dependent on their income taxes, you are OOS.

Old 11-04-2011, 12:27 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,226,281 times
it's going to depend on each state, as there will be no universal rule .... most universities that offer in-state tuition will post their residency requirements

it does usually take more than just moving to an area for a year

here is some wording from the Arizona State webpage

Quote:
A person who has an Arizona driver license, or who is an Arizona resident for tax, voting or other purposes, may not necessarily be considered a resident for tuition purposes.
Quote:
Residency classification for tuition purposes at ASU is a benefit reserved for Arizona residents who have met the requirements as established by state law and the Arizona Board of Regents (ABOR) policy. There are no exceptions granted due to unusual circumstances or financial hardship. That is, Arizona residency is not a scholarship or waiver.
Quote:
ABOR policy presumes that a non-resident student's presence in Arizona is primarily for the purpose of education and not to establish domicile, and that the decisions of an individual as to the intent to establish domicile are generally made after the completion of an education and not before.

The key to demonstrating that a person meets the residency requirements is documentation. The documentation must be clear and convincing, leaving no question as to its intent. Some items are generally not useful in residency determination. Documents such as letters from family or friends, cell phone bills, or utility bills are generally not useful as they do not objectively demonstrate a person meets the residency requirements.
Quote:
  • Physical Presence (12 Months/Domicile Year) (You must be at least 18 years of age at the beginning of the domicile year).
    Students must document that they have been physically present continuously in Arizona for the twelve (12) months prior to the semester for which they are requesting residency. This twelve (12) month period is referred to as a domicile year. Previous time spent in Arizona does not count towards physical presence, only the twelve (12) months immediately prior to the semester for which students are requesting residency is relevant. Note: Twelve (12) months of bank statements and pay stubs for domicile year may be requested to assist with the verification of continuous physical presence.
a. Financial Independence
Students must show that during the previous two tax years they have not been claimed as a tax dependent on anyone's taxes and that they had reasonable self generated income to meet all their own tuition and living expenses. All financial ties to outside sources must be severed, including health and auto insurance. Reliance upon non-Arizona resources for financial support is an inference of residency in another state and may be a reason to deny a request for Arizona residency. Students are generally not considered financially independent during the tax years that they are in high school regardless of how taxes are filed.
b. Arizona Driver's License and Motor Vehicle Registration
State law requires that legal residents of Arizona obtain a drivers license or state identification card in addition to registering any vehicle they operate in Arizona immediately. State law does not allow for a grace period.
c. Other Indicators of Intent
Other indicators of intent to establish Arizona as a permanent home include paying and filing of Arizona state taxes, and the transference of banking and all permanent addresses to Arizona. The ownership of property will not grant residency for tuition purposes.
A student must couple his or her physical presence within Arizona for twelve months with clear and convincing objective evidence to make Arizona his or her permanent home. Actions used to indicate intent must be accomplished at the beginning of, and maintained throughout, the domicile year. Any delay may be considered as evidence of the lack of such intent.
https://students.asu.edu/residency-c...ion-categories

https://students.asu.edu/residency

Old 11-04-2011, 01:11 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,779,750 times
It really depends on the state...

I know in FL, you have to supply two dated registration items (i.e. car registration, voter's registration card, driver's license) AND a proof of residence (i.e. lease, utility bills, mortgage, etc.) that are all dated at least a year before you begin classes.

However I never tried this process as a dependent student (I was 25 when I first enrolled in a FL college) and my guess is that if your parents are still claiming you on their taxes, its not going to work.

I work for a public university in PA. It is not very common that out-of-state students come to school here. Knowing that, they may just want to see a DL...and not even verify anything. I know that my BF who is enrolled in community college went to apply and register....without a driver's license! He had not a sliver of proof that he was a resident of PA. However he was getting a tuition waiver because his mother works at the college....so maybe they just assumed....

Old 11-04-2011, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissShona View Post
It really depends on the state...

I know in FL, you have to supply two dated registration items (i.e. car registration, voter's registration card, driver's license) AND a proof of residence (i.e. lease, utility bills, mortgage, etc.) that are all dated at least a year before you begin classes.

However I never tried this process as a dependent student (I was 25 when I first enrolled in a FL college) and my guess is that if your parents are still claiming you on their taxes, its not going to work.

I work for a public university in PA. It is not very common that out-of-state students come to school here. Knowing that, they may just want to see a DL...and not even verify anything. I know that my BF who is enrolled in community college went to apply and register....without a driver's license! He had not a sliver of proof that he was a resident of PA. However he was getting a tuition waiver because his mother works at the college....so maybe they just assumed....
Here in Colorado, everyone taking courses in any public institution of higher ed has to fill out the same form, asking for the following:

Residency and Tuition Classification Regulations | Office of the Registrar | CU-Boulder

Old 11-04-2011, 09:48 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,128,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
It's way more than a driver's license. If your parents in another state claim you as a dependent on their income taxes, you are OOS.
Hadn't thought of that one, it's been a looong time since I had that concern!

Still, as I said, for some places it's all you need.

Guess research is called for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities