Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 08:03 AM

543 posts, read 1,382,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
===========================
I used to hear that ALL THE TIME when I accepted a scholarship to a university in 1977. At the time, some of my high school graduate friends were making $35k turning bolts at the local GM plant.

However, ten years later, I was well established in my field making good money. My friends were dealing with GM's decision to close the Norwood, OH Fisher Body plant.

In fairness, I have friends who are running plumbing businesses they started that make more than a lot of my CPA buddies. It is more of what value you create than your education background.
Certainly, I know a lot of folks who make more money than I do in all types of careers or business enterprises. But I wouldn't want to be doing what a lot of them are doing for a living. And again I've never had anyone tell me I shouldn't have gone to school and should have gone into a trade or something else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2011, 08:16 AM

284 posts, read 499,800 times
I don't have people iRL giving me flack about getting a degree, but I do have people IRL giving me flack about going back to school at my age. Way too many people telling me that a degree at my age (45) is kinda useless.

I pretty much ignore them.

Old 11-21-2011, 09:17 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_Sleuth View Post
I graduated with an Accounting degree, and actually spent more time in school to accumulate the credit hours/coursework required to qualify for the Uniform CPA exam. My degree and qualification has afforded me a decent standard of living, a nice salary, great benefits, and an exciting job. Yet, I still run into people who say "Why waste your time in college? Some people make more without a degree." I agree that you may be able to make more money without a degree, but it seems that most I know who chose post-secondary education aspired more than to just make money...some of us dreamed of engaging in specific occupations.

I went to a catholic prep high school...most of my peers wanted to go into careers in medicine, law, business, aviation, natural sciences, the arts, etc. If someone told us "but you might be able to make more money running a plumbing company", we would have probably agreed, but it wasn't what most of us wanted to do with our lives. There is absolutely nothing wrong with running a plumbing company, mind you...it's a valuable and necessary occupation. But I would hope that only those who want to spend the rest of their lives doing that particular thing would enter into it.

This is what bugs me about the criticism of post-secondary education. Of course there are no guarantees. However, for those of us who wanted to enter into a particular profession or occupation, it is often required. While I also agree that it is insane to rack up hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt with no prospect of a financial return, it certainly can be done in a smart way.

Is anyone else tired of the criticism?
Sounds as if you hang out with knuckle-dragging halfwits. I'd seriously rethink my circle of friends.

Old 11-21-2011, 02:44 PM

991 posts, read 1,110,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mezman View Post
For some reason I thought the OP was talking about real people. When I realized the OP was talking about "random internet people" I gave up on this thread.

Aren't the members of this board real people? Also, I have heard it from real people.

Old 11-21-2011, 03:56 PM

47 posts, read 87,372 times
Spend 1-2 semesters deciding if something is right for you, or spend 5 years working your way up the ranks, only to realize you hate it.

Hmmmmm.

Old 11-21-2011, 07:09 PM

410 posts, read 398,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post
Ever notice how the only industry you see successful college dropouts is computers/IT/software?
A dropout might come up with a creative idea but he/she will hire the best educated person to actually build the software.

Old 11-22-2011, 11:00 AM

2,279 posts, read 3,973,533 times
Quote:
Aren't the members of this board real people? Also, I have heard it from real people.
I haven't, but then again I hang with an educated bunch. It's already been explained why they do it. As they say, 'nuff said.

Old 11-23-2011, 06:28 AM

543 posts, read 1,382,135 times
Quote:
People on the internet will write things that they would never say in day to day social situations. So no I don't consider people on message boards real people. I consider them caricatures of real people.

I find City Data to be enormously useful but I take everything people write with a grain of salt.

Old 11-23-2011, 07:40 AM

865 posts, read 1,489,165 times
Quote:
I graduated with an Accounting degree, and actually spent more time in school to accumulate the credit hours/coursework required to qualify for the Uniform CPA exam. My degree and qualification has afforded me a decent standard of living, a nice salary, great benefits, and an exciting job. Yet, I still run into people who say "Why waste your time in college? Some people make more without a degree." I agree that you may be able to make more money without a degree, but it seems that most I know who chose post-secondary education aspired more than to just make money...some of us dreamed of engaging in specific occupations.

I went to a catholic prep high school...most of my peers wanted to go into careers in medicine, law, business, aviation, natural sciences, the arts, etc. If someone told us "but you might be able to make more money running a plumbing company", we would have probably agreed, but it wasn't what most of us wanted to do with our lives. There is absolutely nothing wrong with running a plumbing company, mind you...it's a valuable and necessary occupation. But I would hope that only those who want to spend the rest of their lives doing that particular thing would enter into it.

This is what bugs me about the criticism of post-secondary education. Of course there are no guarantees. However, for those of us who wanted to enter into a particular profession or occupation, it is often required. While I also agree that it is insane to rack up hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt with no prospect of a financial return, it certainly can be done in a smart way.

Is anyone else tired of the criticism?
I grew up among a lot of depression era babies and used to hear this alot - is it coming from folks for an older generation? Those were different times back then, not as many people went to college and many went on to get a trade??

Old 11-23-2011, 07:42 AM

865 posts, read 1,489,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mezman View Post
People on the internet will write things that they would never say in day to day social situations. So no I don't consider people on message boards real people. I consider them caricatures of real people.

I find City Data to be enormously useful but I take everything people write with a grain of salt.
Actually, I would think the people on the internet are being more real then in person, because they can hide behind the screen and say whatever they want. Unfortunately, many do not understand that you can be tracked via your IP address, and that it is truly "a small world" afterall...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities