Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 03:55 PM

2,279 posts, read 3,976,611 times

Advertisements

Thought this was an interesting table. Enjoy!

My only criticism is that this table does not break it down by how far you are in your career. Are these entry-level salaries, mid-career salaries, or what? I'm guessing these stats represent a mix of people from different points in their respective careers.

Best College Majors for a Career - WSJ.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2011, 06:17 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,490,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3N1TH 0N3 View Post

My only criticism is that this table does not break it down by how far you are in your career. Are these entry-level salaries, mid-career salaries, or what? I'm guessing these stats represent a mix of people from different points in their respective careers.

Everybody was considered, but I guess you can say many of the 25th are entry level positions and many of of 75th have been doing it for a long time. Some have 0.0% unemployment listed, though. I'm guessing for that, they didn't consider recent graduates. But even then, 0.0% is still a weird number. You would think at least SOME unemployment is there. Especially right now. And this was supposedly from 2010. But thanks for this website. Interesting.

Old 11-08-2011, 11:05 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,487,510 times
That is very interesting. Those with counseling psychology degrees have a much lower unemployment rate than those with clinical psychology degrees. People with general psychology degrees are paid more than clinical, educational, and counseling psychology majors. But are these for undergraduate degrees? Clinical and counseling psychologists need PhDs and counselors need master's degrees.

History, international relations, and political science majors don't do as bad as people say they do.

Old 11-09-2011, 05:25 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,210,230 times
Quote:

I only skimmed it. It would be interesting to see what careers manifested via these majors.

Old 11-09-2011, 06:47 AM

5,342 posts, read 6,173,944 times
I'm curious as to where they got their data.

My area of study is listed as 10.5% unemployment, yet I do not know anyone (and I know about 50-60 people with the same degree) that is unemployed. The salary data also appears to be way off. I know someone with no work experience who just got a job making above the 75% in my field and they are living in Richmond, VA, so it is not like they are in NYC, LA, Boston, etc. I am interning while i finish up my degree and my pay is apparently near the median for the field....and I live in a very low cost of living city.

I'd be very interested in where they got this data from.

Edit: Found the data. Those are for bachelor's degrees. No wonder that degree has a 10.4% Unemployment Rate, you need at least a masters degree to get hired by almost anyone.

Did not even know you could get a bachelor's in Clinical Psychology, but apparently 10,762 people do per year and 17,000+ get one in I/O...never heard of it.

Last edited by mizzourah2006; 11-09-2011 at 07:02 AM..

Old 11-09-2011, 08:59 AM

2,279 posts, read 3,976,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
I only skimmed it. It would be interesting to see what careers manifested via these majors.
Yes, considering how many people end up in different fields than their specific major. I'm in that group. Payscale.com has some relatively good data on which career fields different types of majors go into.

Old 11-09-2011, 10:13 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,210,230 times
Quote:
Yes, considering how many people end up in different fields than their specific major. I'm in that group. Payscale.com has some relatively good data on which career fields different types of majors go into.
Yea, in pharma it seems a person can have a degree in just about anything science related. My boss has a marine science background.

Old 11-09-2011, 06:04 PM

504 posts, read 1,271,642 times
Is civil engineering really at 4.9% despite the construction bust?

Old 11-09-2011, 06:08 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,346,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glucorious View Post
Everybody was considered, but I guess you can say many of the 25th are entry level positions and many of of 75th have been doing it for a long time. Some have 0.0% unemployment listed, though. I'm guessing for that, they didn't consider recent graduates. But even then, 0.0% is still a weird number. You would think at least SOME unemployment is there. Especially right now. And this was supposedly from 2010. But thanks for this website. Interesting.
One of those 0% majors is Actuarial Science--they really are "fully employed", even recent college grads.

Old 11-10-2011, 08:12 PM

143 posts, read 378,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rock_chalk View Post
Is civil engineering really at 4.9% despite the construction bust?
Civil engineers can also work in geotechnical engineering, transportation, environmental, and infrastructure rehab, among others.

And we were pretty understaffed during the boom so it didn't hurt us as much as you would think in terms of employment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities