Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 11:32 PM

1,397 posts, read 4,845,319 times

Advertisements

My husband's relative is a history major and now she is a CEO of a company!!!She never worked in a history field - she worked in business field. So, it is possible to do that, although it would be much much easier to find a job in your field.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2007, 07:20 AM

454 posts, read 1,338,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoc11 View Post
Oh, FarNorth Dallas: the field of sports medicine is a very broad field (also a factor in why i chose it). Jobs include: Physical Therapy, Athletic Training, Personal Training, Exercise Physiologist, Corporate Fitness Center Manager, etc. It is very broad, but the general jobs are like i said, long/odd hours and little pay. I dont know if there is a possiblity of getting a nursing certificate/degree with my current cousework, but i may look into it. Pharmaceutical sales is also a possiblity, but it is very competetive to get a position and most companies want previous experience (which i do have in sales through part time jobs during college, but still, its very hard). I do feel like i recieved a very good, broad spanding education, having learned science/laboratory skills as well as practical skills like client relations, management and communication skills. The question is, how do I effectively market those skills?
You sound like a well grounded and intelligent young man. I wonder if a quick course in massage therapy might help? It might not be a permanent career but it could be something to fall back on if you have trouble finding a job you like.

Old 08-29-2007, 07:32 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,458,087 times
Maybe you could get a teaching certificate and teach high school science.

Old 08-29-2007, 01:07 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,340,292 times
A nursing degree would help you broaden your horizons and would definitely make you marketable. You probably could also qualify for $$ becuse of the huge push to get more men / minorities into the profession. Drug reps are a special breed and the really successful ones are those with a background in nursing and pharmacy. Good luck to you!

Old 08-29-2007, 02:07 PM

7 posts, read 51,399 times
Thanks for all the help guys. mm_mary, i never researched the nursing field much, do you know what it requires to get a nursing degree? Is there a graduate route I could get into with my current degree, or would it require going back and getting a second bachelors in nursing? Im wondering how long this would take considering ive had a considerable amount of science coursework already.

Also, i have been told that a nurse-anastesiatis(sp?) is a good way to go. Do you know what that would entail?

Otherwise, I have come across some healthcare recruiting jobs that require a degree but not in any specific field that could be an option.

Old 08-29-2007, 04:24 PM

1,715 posts, read 6,978,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoc11 View Post
Also, i have been told that a nurse-anastesiatis(sp?) is a good way to go.
Only look into this if you want to make a lot of money.

Old 08-29-2007, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in TN View Post
Only look into this if you want to make a lot of money.
Is that becuase the job/hours suck?

Looking into it more, it looks like you have to be a RN already, so that may take a bit too long to go back and do the schooling to become an RN then do the schooling for that.

Since starting this thread I have been doing some research on this and it seems as though there are a decent number of companies requesting only a BS or BA in no particular field of study. Only problem is, most of them require some sort of experience in that profession. I have a pretty broad work background- working part time throughtout school in veterinary clinics, sales at retail stores, hotels and also coaching/training through internships in my major. I think I could be fairly marketable, having obtained a wide variety of skills through my education/work experience.

Old 08-29-2007, 05:10 PM

555 posts, read 2,211,549 times
Hoc11
Don't feel bad. One of my brothers majored in sports medicine, and never did anything with it. He owns a successful company in real estate now.

Old 08-29-2007, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelle3 View Post
Hoc11
Don't feel bad. One of my brothers majored in sports medicine, and never did anything with it. He owns a successful company in real estate now.
Hey thanks for the encouragement. At least I dont feel completely hopeless now. Can I ask, do you know what he did directly out of college, before the real estate company?

Old 08-29-2007, 06:18 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,176,790 times
Another thing you might look into is that of Surgical Assistant. I don't think you would need an additional four years of college. My orthopedist has one, specially trained in that specialty. I would think that with your degree, you probably may have already had a lot of the courses.

Anyway, he helps during surgery, setting up traction, setting bones, etc. since he has more strength than a female assistant would have, he can be very helpful in that specialty.

I am sure that you could do a lot of things. I just hate to think of you not being able to put what you learned to good use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities