Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 10:38 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post
Yeah but most have trouble reading, interpreting, understanding, analyzing, and, most of all, writing about it.
Until you have to write a 50-page paper on Chaucer complete with footnotes and bibliography, using a Middle English text.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2011, 12:20 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,286,271 times
My guess would be General Studies.

Old 12-12-2011, 01:46 PM

1,248 posts, read 3,509,981 times
English and Criminal Justice. There's a reason my degrees are worthless.

Old 12-12-2011, 03:19 PM

3,085 posts, read 5,240,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Until you have to write a 50-page paper on Chaucer complete with footnotes and bibliography, using a Middle English text.
I always say if English were so easy, ghost writers and term paper mills wouldn't be in business.

Old 12-12-2011, 05:41 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
I can't rep you again so I'll show my approval by letting everyone read this a second time.

Old 12-12-2011, 05:53 PM

577 posts, read 900,470 times
I took an art history class in college thinking it would be easy. Boy was I wrong. We had to memorize hundreds of slides of works of art, dozens of Egyptian temples that all looked identical to me, plus a slew of real history (duh) was involved. I enjoyed it though and ended up taking a lot more.

I've heard the easiest major is education.

Old 12-12-2011, 05:57 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,094,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workaholic? View Post
If some one just wanted to go to college and get an easy degree just to say they got a B.S. or B.A. Degree, what should they major in? What is a relatively easy College Major?

Communications, Sociology, Political Science. English, Fine Arts, History.

Which College Major would be best for the average person who wants to do the least work?
History (and the rest of the humanities and most of the social sciences) might be useless, but it is not easy. It is nothing but reading hundreds of pages and writing long papers (20+ page papers)...

Communications...is the easiest.

Old 12-12-2011, 06:15 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,032,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rock_chalk View Post
Business Administration or Management
Quote:
Originally Posted by rock_chalk View Post
We're talking about undergrad, not MBA.

Accounting and finance majors are not the same thing as general "business" majors.
Try going through one of those degrees and see how 'easy' it is.

Go through an Accounting course. Then go through Economics, Macroeconomics, Microeconomics, make a business plan, from start to finish,complete with markup costs, projected profit margins for 5, then 10 years, and also represent an estimate of economic impact on the community your business will have + other requirements too numerous to name on paper. Present it to your class. 80% of your grade. Oh, and if one set of your numbers is wrong, it effects ALL the others..
Dont get me STARTED on marketing. I had to make a 4 page presentation on how to sell a PENCIL. Yes, a number 2 yellow pencil.
Then present it to the class. THEY judged how well I sold it. I didnt sell it well enough= I flunked.

Then there's Business Law. Ive argued cases like a lawyer for the sake of my degree.

You sir, are full of......

Old 12-12-2011, 07:20 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mermaid825 View Post
I've heard the easiest major is education.
I majored in secondary education in addition to my primary major (English), so that I could become a middle school and high school language arts teacher.

The coursework end of education isn't tough...it's mainly information that people interested in teaching are already well on their way to having a solid handle on, and quite a bit of historical perspective than can be learned by anyone who chooses to avail one's self of the resources that document it. The practical application is where the challenges lie...actually imparting knowledge effectively to the majority of your students while meeting myriad bureaucratic demands of the profession, effectively planning and developing curriculum and courses of study, preparing for maintaining compliance with federal and state-level legalities, etc. is where it gets hairy for some teachers in training. The college classroom portion of studying education isn't what weeds people out, it's the practicum itself. The pedagogy of education and the application of solid teaching skills are two separate things.

Old 12-12-2011, 07:25 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1984 View Post
History (and the rest of the humanities and most of the social sciences) might be useless, but it is not easy. It is nothing but reading hundreds of pages and writing long papers (20+ page papers)...
Don't forget that reading and writing come easily to some, especially if they are personally invested in the topics at hand. Whatever's easiest is totally dependent upon where your skills lie and what your preferences are. I never found reading large amounts and writing long papers to be difficult. Time-consuming, yes. But not difficult. Each represent a fairly simple set of processes, they just take time. Oftentimes, people who don't fare well at reading or writing-heavy tasks run into problems not because they don't understand how to do them, but because they don't want to or aren't able to put in the necessary time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities