Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 07:29 PM

358 posts, read 916,566 times

Advertisements

An "Associate Degree," unless you need technical training, really isn't considered an advanced degree. Most people who have completed two years at a university have more education than what one has accomplished at a junior college with a "degree."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2007, 09:21 PM

570 posts, read 1,820,583 times
Quote:
An "Associate Degree," unless you need technical training, really isn't considered an advanced degree. Most people who have completed two years at a university have more education than what one has accomplished at a junior college with a "degree."
Really, I never knew that. I always placed people with associates degrees and those who went to junior college in the same category.

And thanks for the post everyone, it is definately helping me to decide what I want to do.

Old 08-31-2007, 09:55 PM

2,303 posts, read 5,680,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
Nursing may be one field where you can do quite a bit with a 2 year RN without spending $$ on a 4 year RN.
That's what I was going to say. If you pursue a BSN, you make yourself more marketable for advancement and for leadership roles in the field.

Old 08-31-2007, 11:01 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
An associates degree isn't worth any more than a high school degree unless it's part of a vocational training program. Even then, I'd do what I could to supplement it with a bachelors degree. You never know when your specific vocation might become obsolete, and if you don't have a broader higher-education background, you'll be left in the dust. And even at that, a bachelors has lost enough of its luster that even it is often not enough to really get ahead, it's only enough to get by. That's why I'm in a professional doctoral program now -- not because I want to endure 3 more years of school as if 17 years wasn't enough, but because I want to be able to raise a family comfortably. That's not happening given my career prospects with a bachelors only.

Old 09-01-2007, 10:17 PM

2,141 posts, read 7,867,648 times
Get a bachelor degree. As someone who is paid by companies to find them employees, I can tell you that companies still hold high regard for people with Bachelor Degrees. Don't think of your degree as something that you're going to practically use necessarily for your job. Attending a 4 year university will give you a universal education. You'll take classes in many areas and then get a degree in one area of focus. I've worked in business with people that have Political Science degrees, History degrees, English Degrees, Drama Degrees. And we worked in insurance, telecom and publishing. We go to college as adults and no one is there to take attendance. Finishing college show employers that we're able to make an adult choice comittment and finish something. A 4 year degree is not a waste. Education never is.

Old 09-02-2007, 06:15 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,095,135 times
I think it completely depends on what field you end up working in.

Old 09-03-2007, 07:08 PM

1,887 posts, read 7,940,698 times
Definitey must depend on the degree. I received an AA before transferring to a 4 year. Just for the heck of it, I wanted to work during the summer before leaving for college (but I wanted a 'good' job, not just any summer job). I assumed my AA would've helped but no one batted an eyelash at it. I was told at several places to come back when I had my bachelors.

Old 09-04-2007, 08:31 PM

196 posts, read 1,037,930 times
As a lot of people mentioned, it really depends on what you do. I went the two year degree route for computer networking. I make more than a lot of people I know with 4 year degrees. But then again, there are lot of people I know with 4 year degrees that are making more than me as well. If you know what company you want to work for find out what they require. The larger ones usually require the 4 year unless you are a contractor. I would go for a 4 year engineering degree if I were you. They seem to be making the most. I may eventually acquire my 4 year but up next comes my MCSE.

Old 09-06-2007, 06:18 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,341,128 times
I think it all depends on what you plan to do with your life ..

where do you want to be in 5 years, 10 years, 20 years...

Now at 18 .. I did not want to go to college...... I thought wow I can do this without anything...... yea I could kick myself now for every time I said that . I would be one bruised up woman!
Like some have said I got a break .. went to a 2 year college (most of it for free through a job opportunity that came to me)

What would I change now if I could go back and do it over ......

I would take classes no matter what AS if I were going to Transfer to -------- 4 year college.... I would take classes that would transfer to the program that leads off of what I did with an Associates.
If you work with your adviser and tell them this is what YOU HAVE TO DO .. at a 2 year college don't get swindled into taking a bunch of junk that will not transfer to a 4 year university!

When looking for a job - BA Is going to pay off in the long run ..
Associates some will say oh they completed that much at least .. but when the cards are on the table ....... and interviews are set up .. and when it comes down to choosing ... most of the time it comes back to the piece of paper that says you were professionally trained.

Old 09-06-2007, 08:58 PM

570 posts, read 1,820,583 times
Thanks again everyone for the post. I do realize that an AA degree is a waste, although I do know a couple of people who did find good jobs with an associate's. I see jwhittak was successful as well. My one friend got a good job as a quality engineer(i think thats what it is) with her AA degree. I'm going to start off with the 2-year program and then transfer to a 4-year program.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities