Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 05:04 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,452,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NowOrNever View Post
I completed some college courses since graduation but mainly worked and did not take school too seriously (I find of found myself). I am curious as to what your advice is on taking the SATs and ACTs at age twenty-two. I did well in high school (and was in all of the honors classes when it came to history, english, and the like). However, I only took the SATs once in 2008. I remember I scored above average within the english area but almost below average in the math department. I want to take the May and June SAT tests in addition to the April and June ACT tests. I would like to know that, if I were to start studying hard now, will I be able to do well if I take the tests this year? I should note I am a very smart guy. I never had to "try" too hard in school except when it came to mathematics/sciences.
If you're smart, then the answer is probably pretty obvious to you, right? Your performance on the tests is best predicted by how you do on practice tests. So try those out, see how you do, and then get to work studying those areas where you do poorly - then repeat the cycle. None of us know your learning agility and test taking aptitude as well as you do, so you have to figure out how much preparation you need in order to achieve the result you expect - and then you need to have to discipline to do that work so that you're prepared. It's as simple - and difficult - as that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2012, 07:14 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,242,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowOrNever View Post
I just felt that while I still need to get my CC grades up to perfection that it would be smart to retake the SATs/ACTs. If I have excellent scores and grades all around, besides my relative work experience within my industry I want to receive a B.A. in, that it would provide me with more chances at receiving scholarships, grants, etc.

Secondly, if you had excellent high school transcripts, would it be possible to transfer just using your high school transcripts and not C.C. grades if they are not as high (yet)?
The SAT/ACT are supposed to be indicators of how well a perspective college student will do in college academically to some base level. If you already have college experience, the SAT/ACT become pointless. MIT is the only school I can think of that requires all undergraduate applicants to submit SAT/ACT scores regardless of their age, how much time has passed since graduating from high school, college experience, etc.

I have transferred from one college to another, twice. I have never heard of, or seen, a transfer student receive any sort of scholarship or merit aid based on their SAT or ACT scores. Your best thing to do is complete another semester or two at the CC, take the hardest courses offered that you can take and get the best grades you can possibly get. There might be some private scholarships available to you depending on your "industry", but your [prospective] school probably won't give you one just because you work in X.

There are tons and tons of private scholarships/grants of varying amounts, but outside of that, the best thing you can do to earn a scholarship from college is to simply get and maintain the highest GPA possible. The current trend amongst many private colleges these days is to offer good scholarship money to incoming freshmen and transfer students who have a minimum GPA of 3.0. I've seen schools (via their websites) that offer scholarship money to transfer students with as low as a 2.8 GPA.

To your high school transcript: no, like the SAT/ACT, it becomes irrelevant after you have some college under your belt or X amount of time has passed. Honestly, just stick with the CC.

Old 02-23-2012, 03:49 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,935,956 times
Very very useless and a waste of money. Don't do it, they are obsolete and colleges will not even ask for them.

Old 02-23-2012, 03:51 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,935,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post

I have transferred from one college to another, twice. I have never heard of, or seen, a transfer student receive any sort of scholarship or merit aid based on their SAT or ACT scores. Your best thing to do is complete another semester or two at the CC, take the hardest courses offered that you can take and get the best grades you can possibly get. There might be some private scholarships available to you depending on your "industry", but your [prospective] school probably won't give you one just because you work in X.

To your high school transcript: no, like the SAT/ACT, it becomes irrelevant after you have some college under your belt or X amount of time has passed. Honestly, just stick with the CC.

Both of these are exactly correct. I am not sure where you got this info but you are absolutely 100% not going to get a scholarship from anything based on your ACT or SAT as a transfer student, even if you get perfect scores.

Also, most colleges will not even ask for your high school transcript, and if they do they don't look at it.

You should really talk to advisors and admissions counselors..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities