Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 06:49 PM

1,946 posts, read 7,370,923 times

Advertisements

Ok, I admit, I'm casually watching Little Women LA and one of the ladies is now on the screen hosting her new college grad daughter's graduation party.

I have been formulating an idea for a gift for my son who is a senior and have already made our reservations at the local hotel for spring's graduation and the various ceremonies, but I hadn't given too much thought to a party other than family.

Parents, what kind of celebration did you have for your student? We will be traveling out of state to where he goes to school and family will also be attending.

Last edited by oldhousegirl; 08-26-2015 at 06:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2015, 06:59 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,444,796 times
We, and most people I know had dinner at a restaurant with whatever family came out to attend. I think that's fairly typical.

Old 08-26-2015, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
We, and most people I know had dinner at a restaurant with whatever family came out to attend. I think that's fairly typical.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. We did something similar for high school. I know every school has a different culture in regards to the parties. We only ever had small gatherings for such celebrations locally.

Old 08-26-2015, 07:07 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
I attended college out of state for undergrad. My immediate family traveled to attend my graduation and brought with them both my grandmothers, an aunt, uncle, and a few of my cousins. A couple of HS friends attended as well.

We went out for dinner after the ceremony. Then we packed my (college-owned) apartment and moved me. Not a whole lot of time for a party when you've got to move out of housing that day.

Old 08-26-2015, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I attended college out of state for undergrad. My immediate family traveled to attend my graduation and brought with them both my grandmothers, an aunt, uncle, and a few of my cousins. A couple of HS friends attended as well.

We went out for dinner after the ceremony. Then we packed my (college-owned) apartment and moved me. Not a whole lot of time for a party when you've got to move out of housing that day.
That is true! We will be taking all of the stuff back.

Old 08-26-2015, 07:19 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,507,910 times
Our kids went out of state to college. Our daughter was the only one that had a college grad party. She still had lots of local friends and we're good friends with our neighbors. It was low key and fun and we did it at our house. Most people around here have grad parties at their homes. We rented a small tent, got stuff from Costco. All the adults had watched her grow up and were happy to see her launched.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 08-26-2015, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
Our kids went out of state to college. Our daughter was the only one that had a college grad party. She still had lots of local friends and we're good friends with our neighbors. It was low key and fun and we did it at our house. Most people around here have grad parties at their homes. We rented a small tent, got stuff from Costco. All the adults had watched her grow up and were happy to see her launched.
That sounds like fun. We would definitely have done that in our old neighborhood in our hometown. We have relocated and though we have been here several years, we don't have the huge network that we had back at home with tons of friends to invite, people that knew us and our family and had deep connections with us.

Old 08-26-2015, 07:23 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
^^ Yep, that works, if you are going back to your hometown area, versus moving somewhere new upon graduation for a new job, moving to attend grad school, etc.

Some people will host a party in celebration at the parents' home after the fact.

Old 08-27-2015, 06:27 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,507,910 times
The night of graduation, we just went out to dinner with our new grad, whatever family came with us for the graduation and a significant other, if there was one. I made the reservations a few months in advance so I could get the time I wanted. Our kids went to colleges 7 - 17 hours away so there was no thought to having a party in the college town.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 08-27-2015, 07:14 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,132,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
I don't know anyone who had a college graduation party. But, other families and other areas may be different.

Side note: a lot depends on the what is expected in your area. As an example, there is one HS, in a neighboring town, where for decades and decades, the tradition was for every graduate to hold a huge graduation party with their relatives and invite every other graduate to the party. Yes, invite all 150 or so of the other graduates to your party. My friend said that the parties are held several per weekend from May to the end of summer. To me that sounds absolutely ridiculous, but in her community that is standard. Where my kids went to HS, if you held a HS graduation party at all, it was for your relatives and maybe the graduate invited a couple of their very close friends (but certainly not the entire class).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities