Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 04:31 AM

86 posts, read 268,815 times

Advertisements

You could do both your MSc and and MBA, but very few schools even offer the program. For me, I'm required a total of about 70 credits due to classes being signed off as "duplicate" under both programs. But I do have to wait until I've finished all my classes until I receive both of the degrees.

The subject matter of your MSc matters though, obviously, if you wish to go this route.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2012, 10:46 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,724 posts, read 58,067,115 times
MPA will be most direct avenue to m-F gov work.

I would be overjoyed working 2 (11hr) days / week for $50k.
I much prefer working weekends and taking the weekdays off. An MBA will NOT likely support this schedule. (nor is an MBA a direct link to employment. You need LOTS of relevant work experience WITH EVIDENCE of leadership and successes in business decision making)

Old 03-05-2013, 11:59 PM

1 posts, read 1,571 times
I rather win the Lottery than take chances with these majors, because Financial Aid will only cover you for a limited of time and college is expensive. My sister has no degree yet she making 100K in information technology. She even say going to College is a waste of time and money

Old 03-06-2013, 05:53 AM

3,111 posts, read 8,055,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbowbrothher View Post
I rather win the Lottery than take chances with these majors, because Financial Aid will only cover you for a limited of time and college is expensive. My sister has no degree yet she making 100K in information technology. She even say going to College is a waste of time and money
lol

Well, that's because she is making a lot of money.

If everyone were able to make big bucks without a degree, then no one would go to college. That is not the case.

Old 03-06-2013, 05:55 AM

3,111 posts, read 8,055,988 times
As far as the MBA vs MPA, it really depends what you want. Public vs private sector.

Old 03-08-2013, 07:54 AM

85 posts, read 134,977 times
I think an MBA or an MPA would get you a 50k+ job easily. But you would have to pay big time expenses to go back to school. Overall, you have to think long-term about this. In 10 years, with a graduate degree you will easily double or triple your salary with promotions. You can do it without as well if you are a star but the degree gives you an edge. I think you need to spend some time and focus on what you really want. An MPA doesn't sound like it's in line with your experience and interests but sales and marketing can dovetail into an MBA easily. I'd do the MBA if I were you as it is a very flexible degree, an MPA is only attractive to the public sector. Long-term, you'll be better off.

Old 03-10-2013, 12:35 PM

19 posts, read 38,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gefblueapple View Post
I think having a good, solid path of where you want your career to go should be the first step before matriculating into a post-graduate program. "Wanting to make more money" is a good reason, but not a path or goal.
I think this was probably the advice I most needed to hear.

I started this post 4/2012, so I have done a lot of thinking since then. I decided what to do. I am going to teach school for a few years. Then after a few years I am going to get a Masters in Education in Educational Leadership. Those jobs start at 60k and go to 80k. Immediately I am going to have to take a big pay reduction (35k), but at least I will have summers off. Also, I will be doing something I really love. I tutored GED classes through college and had a home business teaching art for a few years. I will have enough credits from college to teach either art or business. I spoke to the HR in the largest school district around here and she was very encouraging and gave some great direction and encouragement. I may take the test to teach 4-6 grade as well because there are more jobs in that age group. Plus, it seems that leadership roles in education for women tend to be in the elementary age.

I still welcome your advice. You guys had it right, but it took a while for it to sink in. I am going to hold off on the Master's for a few years until I get some teaching experience under my belt.

Old 03-10-2013, 05:07 PM

1,866 posts, read 2,703,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeisorym View Post
I think this was probably the advice I most needed to hear.

I started this post 4/2012, so I have done a lot of thinking since then. I decided what to do. I am going to teach school for a few years. Then after a few years I am going to get a Masters in Education in Educational Leadership. Those jobs start at 60k and go to 80k. Immediately I am going to have to take a big pay reduction (35k), but at least I will have summers off. Also, I will be doing something I really love. I tutored GED classes through college and had a home business teaching art for a few years. I will have enough credits from college to teach either art or business. I spoke to the HR in the largest school district around here and she was very encouraging and gave some great direction and encouragement. I may take the test to teach 4-6 grade as well because there are more jobs in that age group. Plus, it seems that leadership roles in education for women tend to be in the elementary age.

I still welcome your advice. You guys had it right, but it took a while for it to sink in. I am going to hold off on the Master's for a few years until I get some teaching experience under my belt.
hey I also thought about the same thing and I have an equal number of hours in both the MPA and masters in education. I really really wanted to do a masters in history or english, but I now have medical issues and I need a job with decent insurance and pay, I cannot afford a pay reduction so it looks like it will have to be a masters in education too for me as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities