Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 09:16 PM

208 posts, read 318,268 times

Advertisements

If someone has graduated high school and supposedly been going to college for the past 10 years, but they write "four fathers" with the intended meaning being "forefathers" - is it fair to say they've been ripped off(by the college) or that they're just plain stupid?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2012, 09:23 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,680,585 times
The latter.

Old 07-05-2012, 09:29 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,578,968 times
I don't know, but judging by the grammer expressed on this forum, the entire country is not very good with basic English.

Old 07-05-2012, 09:36 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,733,278 times
Maybe they just are not good and/or interested in grammar.

You can have a high IQ and not be good at grammar or spelling. I think it is sort of hypocritical that we have all these threads bashing people who make spelling or grammar mistakes but bend over backwards reassuring people who aren't so hot at math that they aren't stupid. Which btw correlates with high iq better than spelling!

http://www.spellingsociety.org/journals/j20/recent.php

Old 07-05-2012, 09:51 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,578,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Maybe they just are not good and/or interested in grammar.

You can have a high IQ and not be good at grammar or spelling. I think it is sort of hypocritical that we have all these threads bashing people who make spelling or grammar mistakes but bend over backwards reassuring people who aren't so hot at math that they aren't stupid. Which btw correlates with high iq better than spelling!
I don't think this is the case at all. I think there is just a general decline in the proper use of the language. Typical examples you hear every day.

Wheres he at? This one just bugs me so bad. What is wrong with, Where is he?

I was just watching the TV a few minutes ago and a police officer said, We already DRUG the canal and we didn't find NOBODY there. LOL. That is almost illerate in the verbal sence.

It seems that millions of people do not know even the basic forms of English verbs.

Old 07-05-2012, 09:58 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,733,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
I don't think this is the case at all. I think there is just a general decline in the proper use of the language. Typical examples you hear every day.

Wheres he at? This one just bugs me so bad. What is wrong with, Where is he?

I was just watching the TV a few minutes ago and a police officer said, We already DRUG the canal and we didn't find NOBODY there. LOL. That is almost illerate in the verbal sence.

It seems that millions of people do not know even the basic forms of English verbs.
And it isn't as if generation upon generation have not had the same issues.

Old 07-05-2012, 09:59 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,799,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atvwife View Post
If someone has graduated high school and supposedly been going to college for the past 10 years, but they write "four fathers" with the intended meaning being "forefathers" - is it fair to say they've been ripped off(by the college) or that they're just plain stupid?
I attribute these kinds of errors and poor grammar to the fact that people today overall, but mostly young people under 30, for the most part, do not read very much--and the reading material most choose is typically internet blog sites and e-zines and message boards where users basically make up the rules to spelling and grammar. Then there's the whole facebook and twitter phenomenon, along with texting.

People learn to write by reading. Sadly, reading books, magazine articles, etc. is something that's falling by the wayside. Schools may still require students to read books, but I'd suspect that teachers don't really adhere to high standards. Maybe a hearty number of them allow students to get by with what information they've obtained from sparknotes or wikipedia sites.

That's a marker of a crummy school system--one that continues to assign the so-called classics in high school English classes--books like Moby Dick, The Scarlett Letter, anything by the Bronte sisters, or Edith Wharton, along with Faulkner. All of these authors' books are so well-known and synopses are rife on the internet that students don't have to read them to get through their classes. I think school systems should update their reading lists instead of assigning this boring crap to their students. Even for the ones who actually try to read any of these novels, the language is so dense for them that they're probably dizzy after slogging through the first two pages. More up to date literature might actually encourage students to read more--I'd start with anything by Kerouac (yet they won't get solid grammar lessons from him), or maybe Chuck Palaniuk and that Klostermann guy who's all the rage these days. Their books are funny and entertaining, while at the same time providing a philosophical punch that could rival Hawthorne (who the heck can understand Hawthorne anyway?).

Old 07-06-2012, 06:50 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,281,885 times
In my experience, college students are very poor spellers (and a number of them are poor writers) and use spell check for everything. If spell check doesn't catch it, it must be okay.

DiogenesofJackson--I agree with you in that I think very few young people spend much time reading for enjoyment.

Old 07-06-2012, 07:10 AM

208 posts, read 318,268 times
The sad thing is, this particular person I made the OP about, has a very accomplished doctor for a father and a mother with a Masters in Education. They have been sending their "professional student" to college for the past ten years because he can't get and hold a job (no surprise there), and he still has not completed his associates degree. He has a high enough IQ to convince them that he can only handle 1-2 classes per semester, even though he doesn't work, and they keep footing the bill.

With all the complaint of high unemployment, you would think those under 30 would be that much more vigilant about making sure they speak and write in an intelligent manner, and that the colleges charging these kids 50-100K for an education would make sure they can leave knowing how to spell. When I was a hiring manager and received a fax with "RESIME" written in Sharpee across the top for a financial services position, it went immediately into the trash.

Old 07-06-2012, 07:26 AM

3,670 posts, read 7,163,903 times
remember that anyone can go to college these days. it isnt like it was 50 years ago when only the academically inclined went.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities