Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2012, 10:43 AM

4,236 posts, read 8,146,302 times

Advertisements

We’ve assisted banks, homebuyers, current homeowners, and even bribed people out of their cars with cash for clunkers. I find myself wondering if current student loan holders in repayment will ever be offered some assistance?

It sure would be nice if I could consolidate my loans at a better rate than weighted average of the interest rates. I have no problem making my current payments, but I would like to save a few bucks and the interest deduction makes me meh. I also have no desire to work for the government or particpate in the ICB repayment program.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2012, 11:10 AM

5,002 posts, read 12,364,433 times
8-ball says "Chances Looking Dim." Don't quit your day job or pin future financial successes on it.

Old 07-22-2012, 02:43 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,918,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
We’ve assisted banks, homebuyers, current homeowners, and even bribed people out of their cars with cash for clunkers. I find myself wondering if current student loan holders in repayment will ever be offered some assistance?

It sure would be nice if I could consolidate my loans at a better rate than weighted average of the interest rates. I have no problem making my current payments, but I would like to save a few bucks and the interest deduction makes me meh. I also have no desire to work for the government or particpate in the ICB repayment program.
People borrowed the money and got a subsidized interest rate. There should be no more "help".

Old 07-23-2012, 05:47 AM

126 posts, read 429,778 times
I doubt it and you know why? Because people never learn. I find it funny that the people carrying the most college debt find no problems with buying a new car, a house or condo, and subscribing to expensive cable and cell phone plans, not to mention paying for most of it with credit cards. A lot of students seem determined to stay in debt. If i was a lawmaker I wouldn't pass laws to help them either, and and this is coming from someone who's carrying a larger than normal college loan debt tab. But I live simply, without any of the things I mentioned above, and you will be amazed at how many funny looks I get when I tell people I don't have a car or cable or a smartphone. It's like they think I'm not living because I don't have those things.

Old 07-23-2012, 06:22 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,686,224 times
Who else will be working to actually "PAY" for these free loaders????
That money DO NOT GROW (free printing) from trees & have to come from some where....

Then do not forget... as more money is printed... it will eventually "DEVALUE"...
Ready for that $20 per hour minimum BUT bread will actually cost YOU $1000 yet (just like the german mark "learn" from history)???

Think, think, think.
Long run???

Old 07-23-2012, 07:05 AM

3,670 posts, read 7,166,014 times
i'm almost done paying mine off so i hope not lol...that would make me so mad

Old 07-23-2012, 07:18 AM

881 posts, read 2,093,298 times
What "help" are you looking for? You do know (as MB correctly pointed out) that all Federally administered student loans have been subsidized since day one.

Old 07-23-2012, 07:28 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,918,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayess1 View Post
What "help" are you looking for? You do know (as MB correctly pointed out) that all Federally administered student loans have been subsidized since day one.
Well-it's not only that the loans are subsidized. The easy money that has been handed out like candy has pushed college tuition rates through the roof. If there is some sort of relief program granted all it will do is allow the cost of college to soar for those who actually have to pay for it out of their own pocket.

Old 07-23-2012, 09:15 AM

1,356 posts, read 1,944,589 times
Not any time soon given the current political climate and obstructionist in congress. As evidenced, a lot of people also have a boot strap mentality when it comes towards human investment where they blame the victims instead of a broken system.

College tuition has been outpacing inflation for a while now and is the reason why people are taking out a larger amount of loans to finance school. One would think that loans are the real reason, but there's very little evidence to support that loans are the reason.

Old 07-23-2012, 09:49 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Not likely, and I'm not sure it's a good idea either.

I get that massive student loan debt stops people from doing things like buying houses, having children, etc, but the "free" money train has to stop sometime and people have to take a little bit of responsibility.

"Helping" will simply make the problem worse down the line. We need to address the bigger problems in academia (enormous bloated administration that gives itself gigantic raises, enormous sums of money wasted on non-academic things like athletics and "cultural centers" and "green initiatives"), not pretend they don't exist.

Quote:
One would think that loans are the real reason, but there's very little evidence to support that loans are the reason.
They may not be the reason, but they certainly make it easier to waste money and raise costs. Students treat loans like monopoly money, leaving universities with little to no pressure to address waste. Sometimes students even get in on the waste, voting to spend tens or even hundreds of millions of dollars on things like remodeling student unions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities