Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 01:44 PM

1,715 posts, read 6,979,871 times

Advertisements

I’ve met quite a few education majors that cannot pass the first Praxis exam to get accepted into the teacher education program. They usually change their minor from education certification to something else.

Has anyone still noticed this at their school?

I didn’t take the exam, so I can’t comment firsthand, but from what I’ve heard, it is the type of exam a high school junior should be able to pass easily.

Thoughts???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2007, 04:30 AM

1,942 posts, read 8,490,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in TN View Post
I’ve met quite a few education majors that cannot pass the first Praxis exam to get accepted into the teacher education program. They usually change their minor from education certification to something else.

Has anyone still noticed this at their school?

I didn’t take the exam, so I can’t comment firsthand, but from what I’ve heard, it is the type of exam a high school junior should be able to pass easily.

Thoughts???
I took the exam, and passed, but I can understand why people do not. Prospective teachers take the Praxis exam AFTER college...or when it's almost over.

With that being said- on one of the tests...it was probably a basic knowledge test (I don't remember the titles) and there was definitely a math test....well, you are expected to remember from high school-like you said. Since I had already been through college- or was almost finished....what was on those tests-the knowledge one and the math one....you were not taught in college. In college you take specific math courses...but they aren't regarding high school math. You don't have to take any history or social studies classes really, unless you are minoring or majoring in that.

So when you take these classes, you have to remember information from high school. I wasn't a fresh-out-of-high-school student when I went to college-I started back at 27ish and graduated 32 (I think). And, I didn't go to the best elementary or high school (urban city). I don't know how I passed! I hadn't seen or read any of that information in 10 years!! I didn't remember dates of wars....and the math...if I wasn't taught it in college...I had to remember math from 10, 11, 12 years before that!

A high school junior should pass it-it is fresh in his mind and he's learning it right at that time. After years of not using the information....I am sure how hard it is to remember.

I know that some people expect it....but it really shouldn't be...teachers aren't ALL KNOWING. Just because we teach doesn't mean we are branaics. We have a gift of teaching-it doesn't mean learning

After doing my son's 7th grade math- I am pulling my hair out. I have to reteach myself. However, if I had to teach 7th grade math- I would have the teacher's manual and be able to teach myself to get the point across. I had to do the same thing when I taught 4th grade and opened the text book to see matrices. But, when I went through the teacher's book and learned it myself, I was good to go.

I understand why some people do not take the Praxis. I wish they didn't just quit. You are allowed to take the test over.

Old 10-04-2007, 05:04 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,297,575 times
When I took the MN state teachers test the test consisted of a math section and an essay. Personally I thought the test was a joke. It was about 8th grade math level and the essay wasn't all that challenging. I passed with 99% HOWEVER, my degree was not in math, nor was it in English. Why would the test not be to your subject matter? Yes, the location where I took the test had several people retaking the test but I don't know any one from the college I attended that had to retake the test.

As far as others failing the test, I agree that if you hadn't studied math in the past 4 years or so, you could easily fail that part of the test if you didn't do some prep work before--the old use it or lose it.

If you think that it is necessary for a history teacher to be proficient in Calculus then I can see where you would have an issue with this but then, you should expect every profession to be proficient in every aspect of their field--a cardiologist should be proficient in OB/GYN, your family practice doctor should be proficient in brain surgery, etc.

Old 10-04-2007, 06:59 AM

1,715 posts, read 6,979,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrshvo View Post
Prospective teachers take the Praxis exam AFTER college...or when it's almost over.
I believe you are thinking of the Praxis II exams that cover content knowledge or the PLT. I'm referring to the Praxis I that universities use for admission into their teacher education programs. Most students take that their sophomore or junior year.

Old 10-04-2007, 08:21 AM

677 posts, read 4,210,409 times
I don't see why people would treat it differently than say, the GRE, and not study for it. I've seen study guides for it at Barnes & Noble with all the other test prep books, and especially given the fact that you can take the test more than once, there should be no reason why people cannot pass it. I wonder if it's the people who hear how easy it is and don't take it seriously that end up failing it.

Old 10-04-2007, 12:40 PM

492 posts, read 2,371,699 times
I have mixed feelings about the Praxis I test. I took it and found it incredibly easy. Part of me says that if you can't pass it, you have no business being a teacher. But then on the other hand, you may be a passionate, inspirational literature teacher that can't do basic algebra problems to save your life. Preventing you from being an English teacher because you can't do algebra would be rediculous. Maybe schools should be somewhat lenient about their minimum passing scores for Praxis I and take other factors into consideration.

Old 10-07-2007, 02:01 PM

42 posts, read 190,010 times
Default Praxis I = BASIC reading, writing, and math

I've known people who had to take this up to 9 times. Now they are teaching. That's a scary thought.

It's very basic...something almost all my sixth grade students could pass. Seriously.

Some of the Praxis II tests are challenging. I've heard the test for high school math certification, for example, is pretty difficult. Well, it SHOULD be if folks are going to get the certification.

Old 10-09-2007, 09:28 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,179,044 times
I have known quite a few people that had to take the praxis 1 test a number of times especially the math and the writing portions. I have not taken the praxis but helped a friend study for it and did not find the questions to be too difficult. Math is not my strong suit so I would have to do some basic studying for it. But in general I figured if you study you should pass it.

It is not all that surprising that people are having a hard time. If you look at the increased requirement at college for basic writing and math courses. The schools seem to be trying to make up for skills not aquired in high school.

The Praxis 2 tests are a little more difficult but I found the practice questions for the Middle School English Language Arts to be fairly simple. Anything I didn't know or couldn't remember is easily studied for.

I have often wondered if the people who took the test numerous times ever bothered to do a lot of the practice tests or to take a tutorial course.

If you want a scary thought... I have worked with people who had little or no experience, most career changers, but because the took a few courses they were hired as teachers. Many knew nothing of lesson plans or classroom management. Some had minimal language skills and were teaching special ed courses.
(I used to sub and yes you can do that with no experience or education classes, fortunately I had both.)

Old 10-10-2007, 04:25 AM

1,942 posts, read 8,490,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in TN View Post
I believe you are thinking of the Praxis II exams that cover content knowledge or the PLT. I'm referring to the Praxis I that universities use for admission into their teacher education programs. Most students take that their sophomore or junior year.
Oh, Ok...I was definitely talking about the Praxis II. I don't remember about the first one (but if I took it, I passed!), but what I found hard about the second one was: not the early childhood/education content because that is what I learned during college...but the skills that I learned 10 years before, and didn't remember then! Needless to say, yes, I did study because as someone said you use or you lose.

I also do know of teachers that could have been a science major...realy darn smart...and since schools might have need of a teacher for that area, all those people have to do is get emergency certification and bam, they're a teacher. No lesson plans, classroom management, and so on as another poster suggested.

But, to defend them...in college....you aren't really taught lesson planning. Not too much classroom managment either. Yes, you do have to intern in a class before you graduate, but you could intern with a teacher that has awful management, or awful lesson plans...and that didn't help (hey, it might have been for the worse!). A teacher experiences all of that through...experience. You have to do your lesson plans, look at your co-workers, see what works and what doesn't...try different methods of classroom managment, and just because it works one year doesn't mean it works the next. There are many trials and errors.

The Praxis doesn't get you ready for that. Sure, many people don't pass it. Sure many people do...but who's to say the people smart enough/studied enough to pass it are actually meant to be a teacher.....anyone can learn academics to teach (even if you don't remember stuff if you had to teach 7th grade math you would have the teacher's edition to reteach it to yourself and to help you out)...but not everyone can actually TEACH.

Old 11-17-2007, 10:04 AM

1 posts, read 36,122 times
Exclamation Praxis II- Spanish Teacher

HELLO!!!

I am from the Dominican Republic and I have been for 7 months in this country. I have a bachelor dregree in computer programmer, but now I want to become a spanish teacher.

I need to take the Praxis II and I want to know if somebody took this test.

Please if somebody could help me...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities