Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 10:03 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,450,678 times

Advertisements

Having recently retired after 25 years of teaching, I find I can't come to a consensus on how I feel about the issue. Part of me thinks a prospective teacher who can't pass any of the Praxis exams has no business teaching -- but I think that's the test-taking "snob" in me, surfacing. Another part of me thinks it's a shame to possibly be closing the door on a truly talented teacher who could work wonders with young people today, maybe be more creative than having to rely upon a teacher's manual, and scripted lessons.

Without a doubt, there is much to be desired with any standardized test, and I have to question the education someone got, graduating from HS, and not being able to pass the first Praxis -- entrance into a college's education program. WTH? Who IS to blame here? The student, as a slacker? the HS? the test?

It does seem to me that a teacher, having taken the prescribed courses, jumped through the silly hoops, should be able to pass the Praxis in a given subject -- if the test can be deemed 'valid.' Hard to even say what that might be. I scored in the 98% but there were questions on the test covering things I had never heard of, it seemed -- largely to do with methodology -- but then I took the test many years ago, in elementary ed, after teaching JR HS and HS for almost 20 years.

I am looking to you Guys, and the arguments, here, to possibly set me 'straight' on the issue. I do recall understanding why so many potential teachers had real issues with the earlier teachers' exams -- I mean, for example, who could tell a Chippendale from a Duncan Phyfe from a Hepplewhite, if you had never been exposed to that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2008, 07:39 PM

1 posts, read 13,404 times
Default Praxis I math :(

I'm a junior in college in MN and working towards being licensed to teach Spanish and English as a second language. I passed the reading and writing tests easily but the math was a bit of a slap in the face because I didn't prepare at all for the test. My math has never been good or my favorite subject, but I've always been a very good student and did well on the ACT before I started college. I think the fact that I haven't used any of that type of math since early high school and that you are not allowed to use a calculator definitely caught me off guard! I've been relearning math skills and studying to retake the test for the second time on Saturday and hope to pass it! Yes the tests are basic skills that I think all teachers, no matter what subject they plan to teach, should have. However, I don't think struggling with a national standardized test really has anything to do with actually teaching someday. Especially if I won't be teaching math! I have plenty of friends who bombed the ACT or SAT but are truly intelligent people! My school has pretty high ratings, so I'm not sure and have not heard if anyone failed as miserably as I did! But I doubt people who fail the test yell it through the hallways!

Old 07-24-2008, 11:56 AM

2 posts, read 14,319 times
Default Hello

The middle school praxis is very difficult, especially if you have not taken a math course in years. To give you an example, I had a 4.0 in graduate school online, but I have had trouble passing this test. Every job interview they ask for this because of NCLB. Whomever posted not to give up is right even though I sometimes feel this way. It has blocked me from getting the jobs that I wanted.

Old 10-25-2008, 02:54 PM

122 posts, read 349,040 times
It is my plan to move to another state in a few years, and I know I'll have to take the Praxis even though I'll have almost 20 years of teaching English, five teaching art history, and 5 teaching history, in addition to having a BA in liberal studies, an MA in humanities and one in English literature, and one in secondary education. I'll also have my National Board Certification in English by the time I leave. I'm not at all worried about the humanities portions of the exam, but the math - my idea of math is balancing my checkbook and figuring percents at the department store sale. As a result, I know I'm going to need a tutorial class to prepare. Why will have to take this exam? I'll do it because the exam is one of those hoops through which teachers must jump to meet the political requirements for teachers. Will I teach math - nope, never, not at all. English and history, yes with years of successful teaching experience as proof that I not only know my subject matter but also know how to teach it.

I do think that teachers should have to demonstrate basic skills, but I also think education has become test crazed to meet the political agenda of others. Knowing the content area AND how to manage a class, plan a lesson, plan a unit, write a syllabus, how to deal with the ELL, RSP, and SDC students who will be mainstreamed into your classroom - these are not tested but are far more significant and practical. Knowing something and being able to teach it are two entirely different things.

Old 10-25-2008, 04:27 PM

74 posts, read 286,057 times
In IL we had to take the basic skills test, then subject matter, then APT. Basic skills is the same as the Praxis I believe because I put my paper work in for TN and GA teacher certificates and they accepted my basic skills score to cover the Praxis and I was exempt from taking it.

I knew someone who would have made a fine P.E. teacher but after failing the test 3 times and spending a few hundred bucks doing it, she dropped the education program.

I am not strong in Math (which I understand many have a hard time with) but still easily passed, it was basic basic basic math.

At that time (8-9 years ago) we had no route to study, just go in and do your best. I only knew of one that didn't pass...and she never did.

There is no easy answer...but I do lean towards the idea of 'if you can't pass it, then maybe education isn't for you'

Old 02-25-2009, 07:22 AM

1 posts, read 12,949 times
I took and passed the Florida Special Education exam. Now I need to take the Special Education mild to moderate exam to work in Lousianna. Has anyone taken these 2 tests? Could you compare them for me. Thanks, Marion

Old 02-27-2009, 09:00 PM

690 posts, read 2,108,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in TN View Post
I’ve met quite a few education majors that cannot pass the first Praxis exam to get accepted into the teacher education program. They usually change their minor from education certification to something else.

Has anyone still noticed this at their school?

I didn’t take the exam, so I can’t comment firsthand, but from what I’ve heard, it is the type of exam a high school junior should be able to pass easily.

Thoughts???
Wow. That is shocking. I took the Praxis exams. I wasn't an education major and I barely studied and I still made way above average scores. I'm not trying to brag, I'm just trying to illustrate how easy they are.

The Praxis exams are probably easier than the ACT exam. I think that anybody who fails the Praxis exams should exit the education field right then and there and try to find a profession that doesn't involve influencing/molding young minds. And, therefore, the aforementioned people won't be able to do any damage to said young minds.

Old 03-15-2010, 04:24 PM

1 posts, read 11,615 times
I took the Praxis today. As I was taking it, I didn't find it very challenging, but when I was shown my scores at the end of the test, I'd actually thought I did better. Some of the questions are tricky on there........At times I actually felt like I was racing the clock. I took the Reading, Writing and Math at the same time, but you don't have to. You can request to take all 3 on seperate dates. I'm thinking that's what I should have done. The Math was not as bad as I thought it was going to be. I wished would have glanced over a few examples before taking the test though. There will be some thngs on there you may have forgotten.

Old 04-06-2011, 11:57 AM

2 posts, read 20,768 times
@ kaedebonsai re:"There is no easy answer...but I do lean towards the idea of 'if you can't pass it, then maybe education isn't for you"
Would you give up on your students so easily if they were unable to perform the tasks you and your state require? If so I don't think you have any business teaching. Your logic is probably a good reason why our country is performing so poorly in academics.
I haven't taken a math class since '97 and I recently went back to school to become a Secondary Social Studies teacher. I looked at some practice tests online and some of it I remember, some I do not. My question is does anyone know of a decent method (website preferably) to jog my memory and bring back up some of these important and very basic concepts? This is a good example of the faults of our education system. The math I did learn had no practical value to me at the time I learned it, the only practical value it has for me now is to pass a test. Once I graduate I will teach Social Studies in High School so I will probably revert to not using it for the rest of my life. This test makes sense to me for elementary teachers who are required to teach every subject but not so much for those who have a content area. "There are no such thing as bad crews, only bad leaders"(Navy Seals).

Old 04-06-2011, 12:05 PM

2 posts, read 20,768 times
Default The S word

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjohnson4381 View Post
Wow. That is shocking. I took the Praxis exams. I wasn't an education major and I barely studied and I still made way above average scores. I'm not trying to brag, I'm just trying to illustrate how easy they are.

The Praxis exams are probably easier than the ACT exam. I think that anybody who fails the Praxis exams should exit the education field right then and there and try to find a profession that doesn't involve influencing/molding young minds. And, therefore, the aforementioned people won't be able to do any damage to said young minds.
Im my educational psychology class my instructor has talked about this very thing. When a teacher says something is easy then their students will assume they are stupid if they have any trouble with said task. That being said, you would have caused some students to give up on themself and whatever subject you teach. It is probably likely that you are intelligent and or have a high self-efficacy and motivation when it comes to math and school. And chances are all of these "easy" problems to you are the result of your efforts combined with good teaching. All of this math that you know didn't fall out of a book into your head sir. I would argue that your behaviour on this post does more damage to young minds than anybody who was trying to make it through college and teach. And yes, you are trying to brag.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities