Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 02:41 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,286,271 times

Advertisements

To me, his post did not imply that he was thinking about going down that career path, simply that he knows he need a college education and that he found a CJ degree on-line. My point is that a CJ degree is not a degree to get just so you can check off the "I've got a degree" box. I have no desire to get into a pissing contest either, and perhaps we both have misunderstood each other's position and point of view.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2012, 03:56 PM

366 posts, read 730,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
To me, his post did not imply that he was thinking about going down that career path, simply that he knows he need a college education and that he found a CJ degree on-line. My point is that a CJ degree is not a degree to get just so you can check off the "I've got a degree" box. I have no desire to get into a pissing contest either, and perhaps we both have misunderstood each other's position and point of view.
Fair enough sir. I appreciate your reply.

Old 11-01-2012, 03:59 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,909,858 times
AS in accounting can probably get you a job as a bookkeeper. Make sure this school is accredited please. If they only offer a handful of degrees they are probably shady and for-profit.

Old 11-02-2012, 03:21 AM

3 posts, read 2,089 times
Thank you for all of the replies.

The school I am planning on attending is Indiana Wesleyan. I think from what I have found it actually has a good reputation, not just an online school you go to in order to just be able to say you have a degree.

What I am leaning toward now is the CJ assoc., I want to be a Victim Advocate from that. I then intend to get my BA in either that, or a Counseling program. I eventually want to be a Trauma Counselor or something along that line.

Those are my loose plans anyway, I will continue to read here and research if it's the best course of action for me.

Old 11-02-2012, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sideman View Post
Fair enough sir. I appreciate your reply.

And I yours.

Old 11-02-2012, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by startingover75 View Post
Thank you for all of the replies.

The school I am planning on attending is Indiana Wesleyan. I think from what I have found it actually has a good reputation, not just an online school you go to in order to just be able to say you have a degree.

What I am leaning toward now is the CJ assoc., I want to be a Victim Advocate from that. I then intend to get my BA in either that, or a Counseling program. I eventually want to be a Trauma Counselor or something along that line.

Those are my loose plans anyway, I will continue to read here and research if it's the best course of action for me.

A noble endeavor. There are all kinds of advocates and they have a wide array of jobs titles and functions. Check with you local crisis center/s and county prosecutor's office for volunteer opportunities. You should receive training in the field and it will help you see what you are getting in to.

Old 11-02-2012, 07:12 AM

30,527 posts, read 16,226,596 times
1st you might want to think about if you want to stay where you are or relocate after you get your degree. If you want to stay there, make sure there are jobs in the field you choose.

case in point: a woman I work with has a masters in criminal justice. She's had job offers in CA, MD and some other place. But since she won't move she's working as a med tech night shift at a hospital. Nothing wrong with being a med tech but, well, you get the picture.

Old 11-02-2012, 11:36 AM

3 posts, read 2,089 times
I am open to relocating, actually I welcome it. There isn't much call for this kind of work here, but near a bigger city I am sure it's pretty needed. I went back in my life and asked myself what was the most rewarding job I have had. I came up with working in some healthcare fields and also volunteering at our local women's shelter. I want to feel like I have made a difference in the world, I am a good listener, enjoy helping others, want to see people improve themselves and their situation.

I just hope I am making the right choice, I suppose any time you make a life changing decision it does make you nervous and have some self doubt. I wish I had done this much younger, for me that's why it seems there is so much on the line.

Thank you again for you time and the responses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities