Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 08:44 PM

207 posts, read 535,772 times

Advertisements

I am really nervous about going back to college in the spring at liberty online college. I dropped out of college 7 years telling myself i am going back and I never did until now. Sometimes I feel totally unprepared for college. I suck at math now back then i was good at it. But I already know what I want to be and just I am nervous and the fear of failing my subjects I am worried about. I have a house and a good paying job that I cannot stand now and I know I want to move up at my job. I dunno I am just nervous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2012, 10:44 AM

2,830 posts, read 2,504,023 times
Well, if you want it, you have to work for it. You have two options: 1) Get over your nervousness, or 2) Don't go to college and stay where you are.

There are always options if you need help in a particular class. You could start by finding out if your school has tutoring services available to you.

Old 11-08-2012, 04:18 PM

1,419 posts, read 2,455,630 times
I just want to say I hope you are not going to one of those worthless rip off over priced for profit schools. If you need to brush up on math take a remedial math class at a local tech school. It's normal to be nervous when you have been out of school for a long time.

Old 11-08-2012, 07:29 PM

24 posts, read 63,876 times
PinkAquaris,

I understand how you feel and don't worry, it is normal. When I graduated high school I never thought I would go to college but that changed when I was 27 and I found myself sitting in classes with 18-21 year olds, now that was nerve racking! Now six years after getting my bachelor's degree (part-time) I am once again back in school working on a masters degree. I am also attending classes online and my advise is, don't take more classes than you can handle, it is easy to get overwhelmed and fall behind in your assignments, and take advantage of any and all opportunities for help that you can. School was always a struggle for me and I am still get nervous each time I submit an assignment.

Don't let your nerves hinder you, instead use them to keep you going. Good luck, you are going to do fine. If I can do it, anyone can!

Old 11-08-2012, 08:10 PM

366 posts, read 730,907 times
Whatever happens don't let the naysayers stop you. You'll always have someone telling you you can't do it. Don't let that someone be you. Also Liberty is a fine online college. Remember it is christian based and you'll get a dose of religion with your studies. But hey if that doesn't give you a dose of confidence nothing will.

Old 11-08-2012, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by princesasabia View Post
I just want to say I hope you are not going to one of those worthless rip off over priced for profit schools. If you need to brush up on math take a remedial math class at a local tech school. It's normal to be nervous when you have been out of school for a long time.
oh heck no i have done my research liberty.edu sounds better than strayer,etc. thanks

Old 11-08-2012, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowless View Post
PinkAquaris,

I understand how you feel and don't worry, it is normal. When I graduated high school I never thought I would go to college but that changed when I was 27 and I found myself sitting in classes with 18-21 year olds, now that was nerve racking! Now six years after getting my bachelor's degree (part-time) I am once again back in school working on a masters degree. I am also attending classes online and my advise is, don't take more classes than you can handle, it is easy to get overwhelmed and fall behind in your assignments, and take advantage of any and all opportunities for help that you can. School was always a struggle for me and I am still get nervous each time I submit an assignment.

Don't let your nerves hinder you, instead use them to keep you going. Good luck, you are going to do fine. If I can do it, anyone can!
thank you i am 28. i just want out of this uniform

Old 11-10-2012, 06:10 AM

3,120 posts, read 8,065,523 times
Would employers in the field you are planning to study give graduates from an online college the time of day? We live in a nation that is chock full of unemployed and underemployed-involuntarily-out-of-field college graduates and thus college no longer guarantees career success. Why would employers in your field of study take graduates from an online college with a McDegree seriously?

At least your job pays well. Are you certain that the grass is really greener on the other side? The vast majority of working people probably aren't real happy with their jobs. Work is not fun.

Old 11-10-2012, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhaalspawn View Post
Would employers in the field you are planning to study give graduates from an online college the time of day? We live in a nation that is chock full of unemployed and underemployed-involuntarily-out-of-field college graduates and thus college no longer guarantees career success. Why would employers in your field of study take graduates from an online college with a McDegree seriously?

At least your job pays well. Are you certain that the grass is really greener on the other side? The vast majority of working people probably aren't real happy with their jobs. Work is not fun.
i work at a prison and i figured if i get by bachor's degree in criminal justice i could become a unit manager and move on up and make alot more money. I mean there will always be crime. the prison just hired 10 or more people with criminal just degree who are in debt and now they have a job to pay off their college loans

Old 11-10-2012, 08:37 PM

366 posts, read 730,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkAquarius View Post
i work at a prison and i figured if i get by bachor's degree in criminal justice i could become a unit manager and move on up and make alot more money. I mean there will always be crime. the prison just hired 10 or more people with criminal just degree who are in debt and now they have a job to pay off their college loans
Good for you. You're to be commended for seeking to better your position through education. FWIW I think you're on the right track.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities