Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2012, 10:08 AM

1,211 posts, read 1,534,546 times

Advertisements

How useful is an MBA in today's job market, assuming it is a top 25 program? Does it help you make six figures+ and a great career?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2012, 10:18 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times
Hard work, skill development, and some luck help you.

The MBA is a tool, you either need or do not, if you have to ask, then it is clear you do not know what your goals are, and you have no idea what to do with an MBA if you did get one.

I would first devleop a career plan, then see if an MBA will assist in those plans or not.

Too many people get an MBA, or any degree, without knowing why and thinking it is some magic carpet that will advance them in a career.

Old 11-27-2012, 11:10 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
If you have to pay for it, it might not be worth it. You might do better investing the money you would have spent on tuition. And, to make that argument even stronger, you might to better investing the money AND working at McDonalds during the time you'd be in class and studying and investing your McDonald's earnings.

Old 11-27-2012, 01:12 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by analyze_this View Post
How useful is an MBA in today's job market, assuming it is a top 25 program? Does it help you make six figures+ and a great career?
Only if it's the only way into your chosen field. My brother has an MBA but he has to have one since that is pretty much the minimum requirement in his field. I don't have one and don't need one since in my area of I.T. an MBA isn't useful at all. I know some people who have gotten MBAs in a vague attempt to 'advance' their careers and it hasn't helped.

Old 11-27-2012, 02:40 PM

632 posts, read 1,180,401 times
To tell you the truth, I don't see any real benefit to an MBA except prestige and the opportunities it provides for networking. I'm not sure about the different types of MBA programs but the one we have at my university for supply chain has courses offered (some required) for supply chain MBAs that is very similar to what undergrads go through so its of no real benefit if that was your undergraduate concentration.

I'm not sure if the above is a 100% true but that's what I've been told by professors who have basically said: "If it advances your career and your company requires it, then do it otherwise you're wasting your time and money."

Old 11-27-2012, 03:00 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,160,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
If you have to pay for it, it might not be worth it. You might do better investing the money you would have spent on tuition. And, to make that argument even stronger, you might to better investing the money AND working at McDonalds during the time you'd be in class and studying and investing your McDonald's earnings.
This is a joke, right? I am guessing this guy will need loans to pay for his MBA, so I am thinking a bank isn't going to give him money to just make random investments. But I guess that is where that McDonald's salary comes in.

That being said I think a lot of people get into a lot of debt by getting degrees that don't get them more earning power.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities