Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 07:12 AM

201 posts, read 490,883 times

Advertisements

ANOTHER relative of mine (yes I have lots of them!) told me quite proudly that he is going to graduate in the Spring. I asked him what type of work experience he had in business management so he could get a job at graduation. Maybe an internship or a part time job in an office on days he is not in class or during school breaks. (He is getting a B.S. in Business Administration with a concentration in Management.)

He told me he did not have time for that and his parents told him that standing at a copy machine for 9 weeks sorting documents as free labor for some company and calling it an internship was not worth his time. He spent most of his effort on his classes and getting good grades. He expects to get hired by some big company as a management trainee upon graduation.

For the students own good, do you think business programs in colleges should require an internship or something similar for someone to graduate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2012, 07:30 AM

136 posts, read 239,304 times
It should be an option. Working students may not be able to do an internship. it would be nice if they got credit for their job. what your relatives parent failed to realize is that even standing by the copier puts the student in contact with potential employers; networking potential which is something not taught in classes. Never underestimate the value of making connections and networking.

Old 11-28-2012, 07:41 AM

936 posts, read 2,061,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snooper View Post
ANOTHER relative of mine (yes I have lots of them!) told me quite proudly that he is going to graduate in the Spring. I asked him what type of work experience he had in business management so he could get a job at graduation. Maybe an internship or a part time job in an office on days he is not in class or during school breaks. (He is getting a B.S. in Business Administration with a concentration in Management.)

He told me he did not have time for that and his parents told him that standing at a copy machine for 9 weeks sorting documents as free labor for some company and calling it an internship was not worth his time. He spent most of his effort on his classes and getting good grades. He expects to get hired by some big company as a management trainee upon graduation.

For the students own good, do you think business programs in colleges should require an internship or something similar for someone to graduate?
I can agree that making copies isn't terribly valuable as work experience. And I think the whole idea of demanding that students work for free is abusive and unconscionable; if it's worth having someone do, it's worth paying that someone for having done it.

But real internships--ones where students actually learn something about business and the industry that the company is in--should be offered and encouraged as much as possible in BBA programs. It could be structured like engineering co-op programs, or by business entities run as part of the unversity; my undergrad school had finance students handle part of the university endowment fund as an internship in institutional investing.

Old 11-28-2012, 08:42 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,286,271 times
No, they should not be required.

Old 11-28-2012, 09:23 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
It doesn't make sense for a college to require an internship. The goal of a college is not to prepare you for the workforce.

Old 11-28-2012, 09:46 AM

22,592 posts, read 47,680,585 times
Require?
NO

Encourage and/or facilitate the option?
sure

Old 11-28-2012, 10:12 AM

1,058 posts, read 1,160,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snooper View Post

So did he go to school all summer long too?

I cannot imagine what his resume would look like if all he ever did for the first 21 years of his life was go to school.

Old 11-28-2012, 10:35 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,530,868 times
Most college students that I know look for summer internships. My sophomore son has applied to a half dozen this fall. Teachers have done unpaid internships forever, they call it student teaching... It would be good if they were paid, but any work experience, even menial stuff, will teach you something.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 11-28-2012, 02:06 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times
There are not enough internships for the people who want them. It is difficult to get an internship, I applied for a few and never got one, yet I was hired not even a month after graduation (after grad school). There are far more students wanting internships than internships available, especially since the cutbacks due to the economy.

My university gave credit for internships (up to 6 max I think with approval).

I do not see the point of making it required for a business student.

Old 11-28-2012, 06:58 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,160,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
There are not enough internships for the people who want them. It is difficult to get an internship, I applied for a few and never got one, yet I was hired not even a month after graduation (after grad school). There are far more students wanting internships than internships available, especially since the cutbacks due to the economy.

My university gave credit for internships (up to 6 max I think with approval).

I do not see the point of making it required for a business student.
This is a good point. Unless the school actually has the connections to facilitate the placements, it doesn't seem fair to make it a requirement. Besides not every school is in an area in which there are a ton of businesses that could give out internships.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities