Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2009, 08:28 AM

943 posts, read 3,161,454 times

Advertisements

I am teaching a set of classes during the evening that is part of an career skills program at a local college designed to get low skilled people away from a cycle of unemployment and dead end jobs into a career as an administrative support professional. The students have to take about 120 hours of classes and then get a pass fail grade. They receive a Certificate of completion, not a diploma or any A, B, C, D or F grades.

The students are quite a group. I am saddened by their hard luck stories and history of failure. Most of them have blamed the system, racism and bad managers for their lack of success so far. I hear an earful from most of them all the time.

Anyway, most of the students believe that they can finally get a good job if they complete the courses and graduate. They do not want to speak up in class or do anything above the minimum qualifications. When I ask many of them to answer a question about things we have already discussed, they will freeze up and go mute.

So I decided to require class attendance and have everyone do a 60 second presentation in front of class answering the following question commonly asked during job descriptions. (Tell me about yourself) I gave everyone a week to practice the presentation with friends and relatives or the mirror, and then called them up one by one.

Most people did their presentation but were incredibly inarticulate but two foreign students from Turkey refused. They insisted that a good class was all lecture and students should not have to participate other than taking notes. When I pushed them they stormed out and called my boss to try to get me fired. Now they are back in the class after getting no satisfaction from school administration, but have not done their 60 second presentation. Should I still push them or just pass the students to get them out of my hair?

Old 06-17-2009, 08:36 AM

326 posts, read 764,941 times
I'd fail them if don't fully complete all the requirements of your class, i.e. the presentation, foreigners or not.

Old 06-17-2009, 08:40 AM

1,350 posts, read 2,301,183 times
You must teach at the worst school around.
FAIL them.

Old 06-17-2009, 09:03 AM

943 posts, read 3,161,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prytania View Post
You must teach at the worst school around.
FAIL them.
Actually it is a good school, the students, like the society they come from, are the problem. The school is just trying to open up opportunities to those that have struggled their entire lives.

Old 06-17-2009, 09:12 AM

1,350 posts, read 2,301,183 times
Well college should be a bit like life.
If you don't do what is required of you, you fail, or get fired, or go to jail.

Old 06-17-2009, 10:59 AM
Rei

494 posts, read 1,761,572 times
Quote:
Most people did their presentation but were incredibly inarticulate but two foreign students from Turkey refused. They insisted that a good class was all lecture and students should not have to participate other than taking notes. When I pushed them they stormed out and called my boss to try to get me fired. Now they are back in the class after getting no satisfaction from school administration, but have not done their 60 second presentation. Should I still push them or just pass the students to get them out of my hair?
You should be consistent when keeping the grades requirement, foreign or not.
Not being racist, but just be ready to call 911 in case they threaten to suicide-bomb themselves... LOL

Old 06-17-2009, 11:14 AM

3,638 posts, read 6,170,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
Actually it is a good school, the students, like the society they come from, are the problem. The school is just trying to open up opportunities to those that have struggled their entire lives.

Well then, it's great that it's a "good school" that is trying to open up opportunities to them. Now teach them a "real world" lesson and fail them because they aren't doing what is required of everyone in order to pass the class. For them to not fulfill the requirements of the class is no different than telling your boss that you're not going to do your job IMHO.

Displaying that kind of attitude in the workplace will assure that they won't stay there very long. They may as well learn that now.

Old 06-17-2009, 12:14 PM

1,344 posts, read 3,611,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post

Anyway, most of the students believe that they can finally get a good job if they complete the courses and graduate. They do not want to speak up in class or do anything above the minimum qualifications. When I ask many of them to answer a question about things we have already discussed, they will freeze up and go mute.
That is exactly why they will continue to be losers in life. These minorities come here from other places and they expect things to be handed to them. You have to WORK for it.

Old 06-17-2009, 12:43 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,441,605 times
Would a political genius by any other name smell as sweet?

Should I fail students who pass the test but do not participate in class?

Old 06-17-2009, 12:59 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,538,351 times
Closed pending review by moderator

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities