Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2013, 07:40 PM

213 posts, read 508,805 times

Advertisements

My 7 1/2 year-long journey towards finishing my undergrad will finally come to an end on Thursday afternoon. With a 3.8 GPA (a letter grade shy of Magna *** Laude though ), a solid resume and the respect and admiration from family, friends and professors, I should be feeling pretty damn good, right? Unfortunately, I don't.

Perhaps it's because college has dominated the better part of these past 7 1/2 years. Maybe it's because the media has firmly drilled horror stories of the recession and umemployment into the noggins of people such as myself (BA in Media Studies - Documentary & TV Production here). But I'm mainly feeling anxious and insecure over these two points:

- The pressure of looking, acting, and living like a "college graduate", whatever that means. I recently turned 26 and am currently at home unemployed (but actively searching for work!). It took me a while longer to finish my undergrad due to several reasons and setbacks, so I feel an added pressure to "act my age" as well.

- "What-ifs". I didn't socialize much during my time at both of my undergrad colleges, so I'm walking away with just a handful of friends, connections and memories. Why? Commuter colleges notwithstanding, I was either too busy with coursework, too broke to go out or dress well, and frankly too shy and introverted. Already I'm feeling regret over the clubs I could've joined, the people I could've befriended, the times where I could've put my coursework aside.

I'm aware that some of this stuff is just in my head, and that it's not (too) late to turn them around, but I'd really appreciate hearing other's thoughts and perspectives right about now. Constructive criticism, "tough love", your own worries about post-undergrad life would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2013, 07:56 PM

3,804 posts, read 9,324,268 times
Look, if you DIDN'T feel anxiety right now, that would be a red flag. There are MBAs, Law School Grads, everyone leaving school right now is rightfully feeling some trepidation.

But think about this: so many of those MBAs and new Lawyers are looking out the window and wondering what the H they did, and now they are trapped into a life they are not passionate about, and maybe one day they will make the switch to their true passion.

It sounds like you are already there. Do what you've got to do to stay the course. Best of luck to you!

Old 01-23-2013, 08:08 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,121,427 times
Most of the guys I know that graduated with a job lined up, started their job search after their 3rd year. Are you just now looking for a job in relation to your degree? It should have started 12 months ago.

I don't mean to scare you, but a typical job search takes months. It's extremely rare that somebody nails a job within 1-2 weeks.

Old 01-23-2013, 08:36 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,357,456 times
I can relate very well to your concerns about school and your experiences there. However, it's been too many years since my graduation to offer much in the way of anything constructive except to congratulate you on a great accomplishment and say, "you made it this far and you will likely succeed if anyone does."

I'll relate to you what my late father-in-law told me on graduation day. He said, "You now have now accomplished something not many will do and no one can ever take that away from you." Good luck!

BTW, my niece is about your age and she is doing extremely well in movie set production. I told her she picked the right degree since people typically seek entertainment venues when times are bad.

Old 01-23-2013, 08:59 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,221,586 times
First let me congratulate you on an excellent GPA. You put a lot of work into your studies, as it should be, and it shows.

Regarding your fears surrounding your pending graduation, You may be experiencing the perfectly normal fears involving change. It does happen in life transitions like you are going through. College is something that becomes familiar and safe, in that you know what to expect, and what is expected of you.

The career path, upon which you are embarking is a bit frightening, such an unknown. Add to that all the media information as you mentioned regarding the job market and the fears of rejection when you submit applications and resumes.

I hope that you began submitting resumes several months ago, but if you didn't you wouldn't be the first person not to do that. I am also hoping that you had some sort of internship or an adviser regarding the job search and some tips and preparation towards your job search.

If not I would suggest that you visit the career placement counselor for your field of study and see if there are some programs that assist a new graduate in their job search.
There are often alumni organizations and other organizations that you could become involved in that would offer networking and assistance post graduation. A good place to start would be your college's website to check for resources available on your campus.

Here is a fine example of a very helpful college web page with some great advice regarding job searches. Job Search Engines - Post University

There may also be programs online at various job search engine websites that offer tips and advice in prep and planning regarding job searches. Here are a couple web links to sites with some helpful information and tips for newly graduated job seekers Entry Level Jobs and Internships
and this one Job search for post college career? | Monster.com

I would recommend that you give yourself a couple of days to regroup after you graduate, then start hitting the pavement Monday. I would suggest trying to stay in your previous college routine, up early, showered and mentally ready to pound the pavement. Utilize the links, or search for others and follow the tips and advice that you find.

Try to stay as organized as possible. I suggest checking the websites and review the agency that you are applying for...keep notes and gear your resume toward the job.

I think you'll do fine, it's just a matter of regrouping, you've already proven that you are a good student. I wish you Good Luck and much success in your career path.

Last edited by JanND; 01-23-2013 at 09:01 PM.. Reason: edit text

Old 01-24-2013, 01:45 AM

3,120 posts, read 8,065,523 times
You are not wrong to be fearful. What is going on, the slow transformation of our nation's economy (and career opportunities) to that of a third world economy and the graduate shrinkage of the middle class is a history-making tragedy.

Perhaps the best advice is to try to keep your debt as low as possible and not to encumber yourself with debt and possessions that are difficult to transport. Be very very wary of making further expensive investments in higher education in the hopes of having more and better education than other people--that gravy train left the station years ago and tons of people have advanced and professional degrees now (and are unemployed or underemployed-out-of-field). Be prepared to relocate to pursue better opportunities/job markets. Also, try to find inexpensive non-career things that you enjoy and that make you happy. Is there a way to be happy while only earning $30,000/year? Try to find a way.

Old 01-25-2013, 02:20 PM

213 posts, read 508,805 times
Thank you all so much for your feedback. My graduation was yesterday, a bitterly cold 23-degree day here in NYC. It was a bittersweet affair; being amongst like-minded students and hearing inspiring anecdotes, yet having few outside of my family to share that moment with.

I'm making an appointment with my college's career services office to further polish my resume and cover letter and get some advisement. I'm also looking to take on another internship or two by the end of the year, as I only did one during my undergrad. Otherwise, I'm focusing on personal my happiness as well; can't build a career without a solid foundation.

Old 01-25-2013, 04:14 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,947,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond Stereo View Post
My 7 1/2 year-long journey towards finishing my undergrad will finally come to an end on Thursday afternoon. With a 3.8 GPA (a letter grade shy of Magna *** Laude though ), a solid resume and the respect and admiration from family, friends and professors, I should be feeling pretty damn good, right? Unfortunately, I don't.

Perhaps it's because college has dominated the better part of these past 7 1/2 years. Maybe it's because the media has firmly drilled horror stories of the recession and umemployment into the noggins of people such as myself (BA in Media Studies - Documentary & TV Production here). But I'm mainly feeling anxious and insecure over these two points:

- The pressure of looking, acting, and living like a "college graduate", whatever that means. I recently turned 26 and am currently at home unemployed (but actively searching for work!). It took me a while longer to finish my undergrad due to several reasons and setbacks, so I feel an added pressure to "act my age" as well.

- "What-ifs". I didn't socialize much during my time at both of my undergrad colleges, so I'm walking away with just a handful of friends, connections and memories. Why? Commuter colleges notwithstanding, I was either too busy with coursework, too broke to go out or dress well, and frankly too shy and introverted. Already I'm feeling regret over the clubs I could've joined, the people I could've befriended, the times where I could've put my coursework aside.

I'm aware that some of this stuff is just in my head, and that it's not (too) late to turn them around, but I'd really appreciate hearing other's thoughts and perspectives right about now. Constructive criticism, "tough love", your own worries about post-undergrad life would be greatly appreciated.
First of all, congratulations! This is a great accomplishment. (I think it's funny they blocked out Magna *** Laude. It's such a great accomplishment.)

Being unemployed and looking for work is what most college grads do immediately after they graduated. That's going to happen. (I was also unemployed and looking for a job at 26 so you are in good company there.) I think looking for a job is acting your age. As far as the recession, just realize that there's nothing you can do about that and continue to look for a job.

Don't feel too bad about not having lots of friends from college. I have exactly three that I keep in contact with via Facebook. As far as clubs and not going out, I was like you, flat broke. I couldn't afford a whole lot of luxuries in school.

Entering "the real world" is a bit intimidating but once you get in there you'll love it. Best of luck to you in your job search and your future!

Old 01-28-2013, 07:16 PM

4,287 posts, read 10,769,895 times
Congrats on graduating.

Next thing is to get a job. TV production in NYC is a good field. Just keep applying to everything related, be flexible, and eventually you will get picked up by someone. Might take a few months but it will happen.

Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities