Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 08:05 PM

300 posts, read 639,141 times

Advertisements

As a parent of a child that is about to leave off, I often ask myself this question. Its too expensive, and if you dont get some type of scholarship or grant your basically screwed. I rather have my child not go to college at all then drown in student debt all their life. A lot of kids these days have the Bill Gates fantasy stuck in there head, the "I dont need college, just look at Bill Gates".

Old 02-01-2013, 09:24 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Two years at a community college will help lessen the expense.

Have you saved up to help him/her a bit?

Old 02-02-2013, 08:28 AM

126 posts, read 429,616 times
It's worth it if you have the right degree, but that often means studying something you don't have an interest in. That's the real folly of a college education, and the 'right' degree changes decade after decade depending on what skill set is most needed. Personally, if I could go back in time I wouldn't attend college. I would continue working my way up in life. Maybe someday my education will lead me to success, but today, drowning in debt, it hasn't.

Old 02-02-2013, 10:01 AM

3,281 posts, read 6,277,933 times
A college degree is still worth it if it's in something either practical or one of the hard sciences. It's also worth it if the cost is right...the community college suggestion is a good one and if I could go back in time that's what I would tell the 18 year old me to do, even though my four years at college were the best time of my life.

Old 02-02-2013, 10:05 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Two years at a community college will help lessen the expense.

Have you saved up to help him/her a bit?
False assumption, especially for students getting merit aid or those not transferring to their state universities....

Is college worth it, yes. List 10 jobs that one can get, now, today, without going to a community college or 4 year school.

As for student loan debt, there are 100's of colleges out there that offer merit aid. College doesn't have to be expensive and if you max out your federal student loan debt that is $27,000, basically a car payment that can EASILY be paid off in 5 years or less, just like a car payment. Just don't take out any parent or private loans. The average student loan debt is about $24,000--hardly "drowning for life". Stop listening to the 1% of students that were stupid and took $200,000 in student loans for a degree in "philosophy".

Old 02-02-2013, 12:48 PM

2,567 posts, read 5,314,851 times
It's worth it if it meets your goals for doing it, or if it meets goals formed while you were doing it. From an economic standpoint, some fields of study are more of a "sure bet" than others, though there is never a guarantee. The "practical" money-making trade of today may well be obsolete in 10 or 30 years, so that pursuit may be economically "worth it" for a while, but not for the person's entire work cycle. A liberal arts education may not necessarily lead to a prestigious or high-paying job right after graduation, but the person may find that such education is crucial for later professional success in life. From an econ standpoint, some fields carry more risk than others, and the risk changes as the world changes through the years.

From an academic standpoint, college is definitely worth it for most people who are intellectually curious and capable of using acquired skills for personal and professional benefit. Though college is a gateway to professional, white-collar employment, it is primarily an experience that is supposed to enhance all dimensions of life, not just one's job or career. It is not (supposed to be) just "professional training." Going to college just for economic gain is a little like buying a house with the expectation to sell later at a higher price--one forgets that the house is primarily a place to live and grow, as one forgets that college is about overall personal empowerment.

There are plenty of liberal arts majors who live happy lives, have great jobs, and so on. And there are some who ought to have done something else. And there are some science and professions majors who are unemployable in their fields, or who would have been better off pursuing another field. The answer to "Is it worth it?" really depends on a person's specific goals, expectations, abilities, networks, personality, college and program attended, and other factors. There's no such thing as a "bad" field of study (in college or elsewhere)--just people who make decisions that, often in retrospect, are deemed "bad."

Old 02-02-2013, 12:52 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,943,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwest Revival View Post
As a parent of a child that is about to leave off, I often ask myself this question. Its too expensive, and if you dont get some type of scholarship or grant your basically screwed. I rather have my child not go to college at all then drown in student debt all their life. A lot of kids these days have the Bill Gates fantasy stuck in there head, the "I dont need college, just look at Bill Gates".
If your kid gets a good degree that he/she can get a good job afterwards then college is a good investment. As far as student loans, most of the population who has gone to college is paying off student loans. That's just how you go to college these days and it's been that way for a long time.

Old 02-02-2013, 02:07 PM

4,507 posts, read 4,045,228 times
I graduated with 16k in debt from a 4 year engineering degree. After 10 days I paid it all off with savings from 2 years of part time internships. Within 2 years after that I had over 100k saved up. It's all just a matter of doing math when it comes to your expenses.

Make sure you get a degree worth getting though... It's not up to the schools to figure this out for you, they get paid either way. Also get an internship in your field as soon as you can and don't waste time working those cashier waitress jobs etc. Just focus on your life skill you're getting a degree in.

I might even recommend going to school near full time IE 3 classes per semester not 4 once you get an internship. It was not possible for me to keep up with 4 classes while working. Working in my field and affording college outright trumped getting out a semester early and landing on my face in the real world as I got kicked out the door.

Old 02-02-2013, 03:56 PM

251 posts, read 522,919 times
Looks like most folks responding are viewing college as merely a means to more income. We look at is as a fundamental part of educating our kids to become whole adults.

As a conservative, Christian couple, we believe that a college education provides far greater benefits than merely a piece of paper for a resume. College, done right, is vital to expose young adults to a wide variety of subjects, ideas, cultures, etc.

We've taught our three kids what we believe, now it's time for them to establish their own beliefs, and really figure out what kind of person they want to be. Go to college to become EDUCATED. Not merely because you think you'll make more money.

Old 02-02-2013, 04:20 PM

2,289 posts, read 5,774,399 times
automobilist...what happened here? You recently posted this on another thread:

"In college, I seriously looked at many different career paths. My primary goal: make the most amount of money with the least amount of work."

Now you post this:

"Looks like most folks responding are viewing college as merely a means to more income. "

Hmmm, I gotta wonder.

Me? The only reason I persued a higher education...Money.

Last edited by Dollydo; 02-02-2013 at 04:53 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities