Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2013, 09:06 PM

1,179 posts, read 1,554,208 times

Advertisements

The state of California is really pushing going to community college before entering a UC or Cal State. My question is this - say you want to major in Business - what is the difference between getting your AS and taking two years of general education?

They both transfer 60 units.

If you get the AS, aren;t you missing some lower level general ed classes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2013, 10:03 PM

2,569 posts, read 7,748,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vergofa View Post
The state of California is really pushing going to community college before entering a UC or Cal State. My question is this - say you want to major in Business - what is the difference between getting your AS and taking two years of general education?

I dont' know, specifically, about California.

The main difference I have seen from my time spent at a community college student vs. my time as a university student? $$$$

Yep. Class quality, the same. Professors, good and bad in both places. Help in the form of tutoring and so forth: more of it at the CC. Smaller classes at the CC. Tuition? Four times higher at my state university (often ranked as an affordable school).

Times four. That's it.

All of my CC classes transferred as lower level gen ed classes. Some courses transferred in as higher level (subs for higher level I mean) and beyond that, general electives towards my BA.

I suppose you might have a class here or there that is missed...since your AS will usually satisfy any gen ed "core" at a university, but obviously they don't think that it's a biggie or they wouldn't allow it... right?

Old 02-06-2013, 10:39 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,253,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vergofa View Post

California community colleges (CCC), the CSUs, and the UCs are all ultimately governed by the same governing body at the State-level; even though each system has its own respective governing body. As such, a course, say calculus I at a CCC will meet the same base standard that a calculus I course at a UC or CSU is expected to meet. It is actually a heckofalot easier to transfer from a CCC into a UC with a low GPA than it is to enter a UC straight from high school or to transfer in from out-of-State with a high GPA.

To your question; if you are taking "gen ed", then yes, you will more-than-likely miss out on 100-level and 200-level business courses. However, if you major in Business at a CCC than you should take the same major-related courses you would take at a UC or CSU during your first two years.

Old 02-07-2013, 08:46 AM

12,110 posts, read 23,308,373 times
Are you are assuming a four year degree requires two years of Gen Eds, because it does not. It sounds like the state is trying to make sure that your degree will transfer from a two year to a four year institution; it is not saying that you will not have to take any extra classes. I transferred from a two year to a four year institution. In order to get my BA I had to take an extra math class and two extra sciences classes that were not required for my AAS.

Old 02-08-2013, 10:46 AM

170 posts, read 323,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
California community colleges (CCC), the CSUs, and the UCs are all ultimately governed by the same governing body at the State-level; even though each system has its own respective governing body. As such, a course, say calculus I at a CCC will meet the same base standard that a calculus I course at a UC or CSU is expected to meet. It is actually a heckofalot easier to transfer from a CCC into a UC with a low GPA than it is to enter a UC straight from high school or to transfer in from out-of-State with a high GPA.

To your question; if you are taking "gen ed", then yes, you will more-than-likely miss out on 100-level and 200-level business courses. However, if you major in Business at a CCC than you should take the same major-related courses you would take at a UC or CSU during your first two years.
Yes. But the issue remains that some people just go ahead and attend UC anyway. Going to a CCC felt "incomplete" to them since they'd have to earn a 2 year degree. CCC is a very different scene from a UC. It's more like high school. Then at UC, do the same thing again. Might as well pick everything in one building, haha.

Plus, the UCs don't offer some majors CCs do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities