Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 01:05 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,415,797 times

Advertisements

Wasn't there at one time one form for admission to the UC system where one could indicate the campuses of preference, but where a certain GPA/SAT/class rank was a guaranteed admit to all campuses? (The GPA/SAT was selective, but not insurmountable). If so, when did it go away?

I read that, currently, there is a guaranteed admit to the UC system - at UC Merced, its newest campus in the CA Central Valley, about halfway between Fresno and Sacramento. Most urban kids in the Bay Area or LA would opt for UNR, at Reno, and ASU, respectively, more readily than they would for UC Merced. The UC baseline is now so high that not even UC Riverside (very unrestrictive in the past) nor UC Santa Cruz are in the guaranteed admit category.

Last edited by robertpolyglot; 02-16-2013 at 01:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2013, 01:54 PM

297 posts, read 513,513 times
They still use one application for the entire UC system.

How to apply | UC Admissions

Old 02-16-2013, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gymrat View Post
They still use one application for the entire UC system.

How to apply | UC Admissions
Thank you.

But that wasn't my question.

There was once a time when UCLA and Berkeley were accessible to good 3.7, 1150-1200 minimum 2-part SAT, and one (dumb) extracurricular activity to garden variety white kids from good public/private/Catholic HSs in California. By default, all the other UC campuses were available to them. I'm inquiring about an ALL CAMPUS admit formula.

Old 02-16-2013, 02:19 PM

Things have changed. College acceptance is highly comptetive nowadays. Even to large flagship publics.

"UCLA is among the most selective universities in the country and is becoming more competitive for freshman applicants each year. This past year UCLA received more than 72,000 applications. Generally the campus is able to admit about one in four freshman applicants for the fall term. "

Student Profile | UC Berkeley Office of Undergraduate Admissions

You will find basically the same info as above on every large state flagship across the country. Applicant pool is up. Trade schools are no longer seen as "acceptable". We do not teach vocational traning in high schools due to NCLB. All kids are expected to be "college ready" and go. Throw in the international student pool and the battle to get into a school is even harder.

Old 02-16-2013, 02:26 PM

Here:
Total Applications Growth/Decline, class of 2017 - College Confidential

Someone has done all of the work and compiled the numbers.

Staggering, just staggering!

I'm a parent of Class of 2017
as well as Class of 2021. I can not imagine how much more competitive it is going to be in another 4 years.

Old 02-16-2013, 02:44 PM

Thanks. But do you know when the above formula (post #3) went away, +/-, if you are a Californian and/or remember when college admission in the state looked very different?

Old 02-16-2013, 02:59 PM

I am not a Californian but know plenty from my state that went to UC schools either from here or were native Cal high school students. As I said, things have changed. Even in the last 5-10 years. In my home state how college acceptance is determined to state schools has changed drastically. From what I found across the board at all of the schools my D was interested in, boy does it look different than it did when I was that age getting ready for college. D was very interested in UCLA. We did the visit, bought the t-shirt, attended their info session when it came thru town, etc. Even on this graph
UCLA - GPA and Test Scores Needed for Admission she is firmly in that area that starts changing to the green/blue coming out of the reds. Her chance of getting in is not great as she is OOS. Every single report states as much. She is happy with her final choice for undergrad and would rather save the $ for med school. Which she hopes is UCLA.

Old 02-16-2013, 03:09 PM

IIR, you're in Texas. Some of the people I've known who were UT-Austin grads were only slightly above average - not dumb, but not stellar. Now, a UT-Austin offer of admission seems to be a big deal. What has happened? These universities have also expanded their enrollments and facilities over the years. One thing is that the ethnic demographics have changed, with certain ethnic groups emphasizing education and their offspring being very competitive in HS. In HS, nobody appeared competitive. More dedicated? Yes. Dang, what happened to the days when you could get around a 3.7, pull around a 1200 SAT, go home right after school, and get into a good state university?

Last edited by robertpolyglot; 02-16-2013 at 03:42 PM..

Old 02-16-2013, 05:36 PM

4,677 posts, read 5,780,088 times
When I was in school in the late 80s in San Diego, there was such a formula. You could get into any UC school if you met the system wide requirements, but...
You had to be admitted to a major as well as a school. If you failed to be admitted to a major (and undeclared was by far the toughest "major" to be admitted to), then you didn't get in even if you had guaranteed admission.
For UC Berkeley, every major was impacted so you had competitive admissions no matter what your declared major. For UCSD and UCLA, some majors were virtually impossible while others were fairly easy.

Changing majors required going through a process that was a hybrid between the admissions process and the transfer process.

Old 02-16-2013, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
When I was in school in the late 80s in San Diego, there was such a formula. You could get into any UC school if you met the system wide requirements, but...
You had to be admitted to a major as well as a school. If you failed to be admitted to a major (and undeclared was by far the toughest "major" to be admitted to), then you didn't get in even if you had guaranteed admission.
For UC Berkeley, every major was impacted so you had competitive admissions no matter what your declared major. For UCSD and UCLA, some majors were virtually impossible while others were fairly easy.

Changing majors required going through a process that was a hybrid between the admissions process and the transfer process.
Thank you. Was the formula pretty much what I described (2 posts above), or more stringent? And was that formula competitive for most majors?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities