Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2011, 06:38 PM

304 posts, read 745,415 times

Advertisements

I am in my late 30s (yikes) and I just started a masters program that I no longer too sure about, I may drop it and go for a different program. Trouble is I had a time finding people to write me letters of reccomendation! How do you all deal with late going back to school? In my case I have been a stay at home-er, I am out of college for 15 years now, it was hard coming up with people to write me a couple. And the program I am thinking about applying for requires one from an academic source......I had great grades etc. in college but I did not keep in touch with my college profs, I cant just appear 15 yrs later asking for a letter! Can I? I have some people I do advocacy work with who can write me a few, but no one academically. Any ideas? Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2011, 06:44 PM

2,186 posts, read 7,946,157 times
I am not sure what program would require one academic recommendation as part of the applicaton process for a graduate that has been out of the academic scene for a while. But, a way to get around it would be to take a continuing education class and then get a recommendation afterwards. To be honest all those letters are pretty much taken with a grain of salt. I would focus on getting a decent GRE or GMAT score as they end up usually making or breaking an admission decision.

Good Luck!

Old 01-19-2011, 07:00 PM

Thats a good point...........I am thinking about a masters in public admin. And ironically its a degree that often is for people who have been out in the work force yet theyre asking for an academic letter.......Thanks for the idea!

Old 01-20-2011, 04:40 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,373,081 times
Okay...I am a working professional, and am also going to take some classes for a certificate...same thing, need reference letters...so I just wrote three letters up, gave one to my boss to sign, two to other co-workers to sign. Writing those letters is a pain, I have had to write them, and don't know what to write...at this point in my life, having had to write those letters myself, and knowing how annoying it is that was my solution...I went to my boss, and told him I did him a big favor, then he asked me what it was...I told him I wrote my own reference letter and all he has to do was sign it...he laughed...and promptly signed the letter.

Old 01-20-2011, 05:17 PM

I like that Jasper! Now I just need a boss, lol.

Old 01-22-2011, 09:08 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,909,927 times
First, call the school and talk to an advisor. It's amazing how frequently schools' online information is generic and how easily many are willing to accommodate your unique circumstances. Don't just rely on the internet.

But you say you are currently enrolled in a program, so if they insist on an academic source, why not ask one of your current professors? Just because you are not completing the program doesn't mean they can't write a recommendation. They'll only be writing about their experience with you in their courses, which is what they would do whether or not you finished their program.

Old 01-25-2011, 08:11 AM

kodaka:

Good points. I havent considered asking my current profs because its an online program, I feel like they dont know me at all, what are going to write that would be of real benefit to me? I will think about it though, thank you for the suggestions, its funny how sometimes we dont think outside the box - it had not even occured to me to directly talk to the school, lol. Thanks.

Old 02-19-2013, 02:00 PM

1 posts, read 3,672 times
can any one help to write this letter about going back to school. i stop university at level 200 and its been 5 years, and i want to go back to school. i have been ask to write a letter address to the administrator, on when i stop and when i want to begin.... please help i dont know what to write.. this is my email [email]immanuelamponsah@yahoo.com[/email] or @gmail.com.. thank you

Old 02-19-2013, 04:37 PM

809 posts, read 1,331,446 times
whomever you are going to ask to write a rec for you needs to know something about you. So write a brag sheet about yourself (not really a resume but what you do). If you are a stay at home person - what activities are you involved in with your kids, sports, church etc. Think of all the things you do- many of those items are the same skill set need for your degree. Good Luck!

Old 02-19-2013, 05:50 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,780,296 times
I processed the admissions applications and materials for a graduate program in a public state college for 3 years. In all honesty, while we required a letter of recommendation for admission to the program, these letters were never actually read. Some were ridiculous anyway (There's was one that said "I recommend ____ for admission to your program. - Sincerely, X". The end. Seriously. It was sent directly to our office from the source too )

With that being said, I'm a firm believer in the concept that if something is worth doing, it is worth doing correctly. The professors that I worked with wrote letters of recommendation for students often. Some were more laid back about it than others (would still write it, even if they didn't remember you so well). One professor had a system where if she didn't remember the student, she would ask them to supply the course numbers and semesters that she taught them. They also had to write a sentence stating what they gained from that course. From that, she would write the recommendation. I think that would be a good approach in your case. Go to your old professors armed with the course number, semester you took it, and state briefly (written or orally) what you liked most about the course. I bet you most professors would have no issue writing a letter after that!

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities