Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2008, 03:30 PM

11 posts, read 27,915 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I'm currently 20 years old and I pretty much hate myself. I was in a 4 year University, but due to being stupid and not having my priorities straight, my GPA plummeted and I ended up dropping out to attend some vocational Culinary school.

I hate the school and the entire Culinary field, but I feel like I'm forced into it now because of my past stupid mistakes. I don't want to do this for a living, but I'm afraid that this is the only option for me now since I screwed up earlier.

I'm not stupid or anything (I made a 28 on the ACT, twice), but I made poor decisions for my two years in University and now I regret them. I'm afraid I won't ever have the chance to make something of myself and do something I enjoy doing.

If I end living my life doing something that I hate doing and not even getting paid well for it (the food/hospitality industry really sucks, btw) and just being an overall failure, I don't know how I will even live with myself.

I want to go back and get a degree in Media/Journalism, but I'm afraid that I won't be able to anymore. Does anyone here who might have been in similar circumstances or maybe an education counselor have any advice for someone who truly regrets his past mistakes and just wants a second chance to prove himself?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2008, 04:52 PM

516 posts, read 1,888,578 times
I know someone who was a truck driver, and at 40 decided to go back to college, and then to law school. At 50, he is now a very successful attorney.

If you hate the culinary field that much, then why force yourself to stay in it? You'll do much better in a career you like.

Use the skills you have to get the best job you can for now. Go back to school and get into something you really enjoy.

Has someone told you that you CAN'T go back? Why would you think you couldn't? If you're worried that you wasted your time in culinary school - well, why waste more time messing around waiting to decide?

Quote:
...but I'm afraid that this is the only option for me now since I screwed up earlier.
You're allowed more than one screw-up in life. It's only permanent if you let it be. If your GPA is too low, you might have to do a city college for a bit before getting back in to a 4-year (talk to the college, you never know), but there is absolutely NO reason for you to NOT go back, if that's what you want to do.

Good luck with it!

Old 08-31-2008, 05:38 PM

2,195 posts, read 3,641,185 times
The prior respondent is totally right - going back to a 4 year college is not going to be a serious problem, from an admissions perspective, even if you have to jump through a hurdle or two.(No promises on ending up in a career you like, though!)

A few simple questions for you:
1) Do you care what part of the country you end up in?
2) Is $$ an immediate issue for you?
3) Will your parents fill out a FAFSA for you?
4) Will your parents assist you if you show the kind of turn around you believe you can manage?

Old 08-31-2008, 05:44 PM

79 posts, read 331,271 times
You can get student loans on your own if you live by yourself, my sister did. I have two kids so student loans are pretty much handed to me, but I think as an "independent" you do not need your parents to sign for anything. Everyone makes mistakes, and every mistake can be fixed. If you want to go back to school than do it. Starting over is always scary but sometimes it makes us better people. The mistakes we make in life only make us stronger, smarter(well some of us), and like ourselves more when we do something to make it better.

Old 08-31-2008, 05:55 PM

17 posts, read 58,860 times
Hey jcabbott,

Like tony23 said, you're allowed screw ups in life, and more second chances then you can imagine. You're also capable of doing well at a 4 year school, just look at your ACT. I'd email the admissions department at the school you were attending and tell them about your situation. I'm certain they can tell you what you need to do to get back in, trust me, you might just be shocked at just how much they're willing to work with you. Before you know it, you'll be packing your bags.

I had a similiar situation myself, I left school for a year because of grades. I came back and made the Dean's list first semester, and now I make nothing lower than a B... ok I did make a C in a math course that one time. =)

Also don't beat yourself up too much, many many people make mistakes that they think are too big to overcome. This is erroneous in so many ways, you can do what you love, just don't let yourself or anyone hold ya back. Good luck!

Old 08-31-2008, 06:20 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,352,236 times
At 20 years old, you have your entire life ahead of you. If you hate culinary, don't do it. Yes, you might have to work in that field to support yourself while in school for journalism. Check out both community colleges and four-year colleges and take the time to make good decisions for yourself. You seem very down on yourself. If other people are giving negative feedback, remove yourself from them for a while to get yourself on track. If you are not sure about media/journalism, take the Myers Briggs assessment or something similar and get some other options using your skills and interest. Good luck.

Old 08-31-2008, 07:09 PM

207 posts, read 705,007 times
Go & find a job with a company that pays tuition. Then you could go back to school while working.

Old 08-31-2008, 08:01 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,801,723 times
Been there done that and here's how I fixed it: I went to a community college for a while and pulled up my GPA and then applied to Washington University and got accepted. I just went to the admission interview and told them how stupid I used to be and that things were going to be different from now on and they didn't even bat an eye. It's really not that big of a deal. There are countries where you couldn't fix past mistakes but ours is not one of them, and while at the CC you are getting college credit and for less money. Go for it--life is too short to do what you hate and you need to ride those motivation feelings before you get too discouraged. Also, I agree with Pennylove except for one caveat--if you have a class already where you've done well, they will see that and know that you really have turned it around, so go get enrolled ASAP.

Old 08-31-2008, 09:43 PM

2,195 posts, read 3,641,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flmom28 View Post
You can get student loans on your own if you live by yourself, my sister did. I have two kids so student loans are pretty much handed to me, but I think as an "independent" you do not need your parents to sign for anything. Everyone makes mistakes, and every mistake can be fixed. If you want to go back to school than do it. Starting over is always scary but sometimes it makes us better people. The mistakes we make in life only make us stronger, smarter(well some of us), and like ourselves more when we do something to make it better.
"Independent" status is very hard to get before age 24, unless one is married (or divorced), military, or orphaned. And, unfortunately, one's parents' refusal to fill out or sign a FAFSA is not even remotely sufficient to qualify.

The Fin Aid director at each college usually gets to make that call. At least two that I know of sought notarized statements of the factors involved in the independent claim for folks roughly the OP's age.

Old 09-01-2008, 08:25 AM

2,467 posts, read 12,248,774 times
It's never too late. I teach at a university and I have people who are in their upper 50's in my classes....
Perhaps you should go "start over" at a community college where you can bump up your grades with classes you still need to take and then can transfer back in to a 4 year. Regardless, if you are still enrolled in school go and talk to a counselor ASAP to get their perspective. They will help you figure out how to get back on track. If not, go to your local community college and I'm sure they can help you!

I hate to see someone who's 20 say that they believe it's over!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities