Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 03:10 PM

5,047 posts, read 5,805,176 times

Advertisements

Hi there
After living here for 23 years and working for all of it along with raising two boys, I have decided to go back to school. I have been self employed for 17 years and am tired. Yes if I go back, I will be doubly exausted, but am hoping it will be worth it in the end.

If I do go back, i will be close to 50 graduating. Am I crazy trying to look for a new career at that age? I was thinking of business admin, criminal justice or accounting.

Any words of wisdom or advice? By the way the reason I didnt go to college was that at age 20 I emigrated from Ireland and took the time to set p my life here.

Thanks
d
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2009, 05:05 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,530,868 times
Go for it Dorothy!

I have a close friend that went back to college to get her bachelors in education and graduated at 40 and another that went back for her masters and got it this past December at age 54. Both are employed in their chosen field and much happier. They were kinds of crabby while they were in school but we (and their families) overlooked that and celebrated with them upon graduation.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 03-03-2009, 08:41 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,717,779 times
It probably wouldn't be a bad idea to audit a class or two before matriculating.

Old 03-03-2009, 11:07 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,917,593 times
Back in the '80's I saw a letter to either Dear Abby or Ann Landers. The letter came from a woman who was thinking about returning to college, with the goal of eventually going to medical school and becoming a doctor. She expressed doubts about whether she should go for it, because she would be in her 50's by the time she would finish medical school. The answer from whichever advice columnist was great. The answer was actually a question: "How old will you be if you don't do it?"

And, speaking from personal experience, I'm 53, back in school, researching grad schools as I plan to continue at the graduate level, and find this continued pursuit of education deeply satisfying. If it's what you find fulfilling, go for it, and don't worry about being "too old."

One more: Soon after I started back to school, a nearby college graduated a woman in her 80's. Heck, you and I are just young pups. Go for it.

Old 03-03-2009, 11:15 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,321,103 times
Time will go by and you'll be 50 regardless of what you're doing...so, GO FOR IT!

Old 03-03-2009, 11:38 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,245,419 times
Smile Going back to school

Do it.

Couple of stories:
A guy I know from my church decided to go back. He is in his 50's and could stand to lose some weight. He works in construction but always wanted to work with kids and be a teacher. He decided to try community college. At first, it was hard for him - he will graduate this summer after 2 years of attending. He has blossomed. From a guy who didn't know what wikipedia was to MLA format (which he now knows), he is loving it! He also plans to continue and get the 4 year degree. I am very proud of his success and I have seen him grow in confidence and ability in this and other things.

I went back myself last year and have to do the classes online but I have enjoyed the classes I took. I have 6 to go in what I want to do.

I went to Nova Southeastern University, Fort Lauderdale (they have studens all over the country).

Old 03-04-2009, 05:35 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,196,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
Hi there
After living here for 23 years and working for all of it along with raising two boys, I have decided to go back to school. I have been self employed for 17 years and am tired. Yes if I go back, I will be doubly exausted, but am hoping it will be worth it in the end.

If I do go back, i will be close to 50 graduating. Am I crazy trying to look for a new career at that age? I was thinking of business admin, criminal justice or accounting.

Any words of wisdom or advice? By the way the reason I didnt go to college was that at age 20 I emigrated from Ireland and took the time to set p my life here.

Thanks
d
My aunt was a book-keeper most of her life. She has some college under her belt but decided to finish her degree when she was 50ish. She either finished her BS or BS/MS in accounting. She went on to become a company controller (big bucks). 15 some odd years later she retired, invested her money well, and now is living a very comfortable retirement.

So, you can either turn 50 with no degree or turn 50 with a degree and more options.

Old 03-04-2009, 06:04 AM

8 posts, read 32,094 times
Default I'm doing it!

I am 51, and I just earned my associates degree in social science from a local community college, finishing this adventure with a 3.7 GPA and graduating Magna *** Laude. It took me 4 years to complete it.

I will be starting a local university in the fall, and I am looking forward to continuing my education at least until I earn my bachelor degree in criminal justice.

Don't base your abilities and aspirations on your age. Age is no more than a number. The world has never stopped spinning each time I have a birthday. My philosophy is that life is one continuous day...you are born, and you live until you die. Don't be afraid to take chances in life that will enrich it in some way.

A friend once shared with me something that someone shared with him. Once we reach 50 we need to take inventory of our life and think of all the things we'd like to do before we die, and do them!

You are at a perfect age for learning, so go for it! Besides, today's 50 is yesterday's 30, and today's 70 is yesterday's 50.

Old 03-04-2009, 03:29 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,344,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
Hi there

Thanks
d
Penn State has online classes, Western Carolina University offers Criminal Justice online. How is your daughter doing - has she stayed in school? You'd be an even greater role model....

Old 03-04-2009, 06:23 PM

5,047 posts, read 5,805,176 times
Well thank you all for your advice and cheers. I did sign on today and will hopefully either start in the summer doing night classes or in sept doing day classes. I decided for now to go with an accountant degree ; an associates that will take two years and maybe after do a one year cert in paralegal studies.

I dont have a daughter ; two sons. But at age 10 and 9, I am hoping they can see me as a good role model.

Thanks so much ; I guess I just wanted to know if I was crazy or not and it seems I am sane.

d
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities