Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 06:48 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,487,222 times

Advertisements

(This is entirely fictional but just want to see how others' would handle this situation)..

Key facts about the child:

1) Below average (but still considered "normal") IQ, let's say 90.

2) Both parents are PhDs and raised him/her in a manner similar to Amy Chua.

3) Parents are NOT particularly rich or extremely well connected.. basically they started out with nothing and earned it all.

4) With a ton of pressure to do well in school and sacrificing everything (despite slightly below average intelligence), manages to get into a 2nd tier University (let's say Rutgers, Vanderbilt, U of Michigan, etc. Basically NOT Ivy League but immediately below it.)

5) Very little social skills, having sacrificed everything to be accepted to college.

6) VERY hard worker.

7) Passionate about computers.

Given the above hypothetical facts, what advice would you give to such a person upon entering college for his/her education and later career?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2013, 07:02 PM

1,216 posts, read 1,464,512 times
Same advice I would give any child entering college. And advice I wish I'd been given before I entered college.

1. Research a career. Know exactly what requirements are needed for the career you want. Make sure the starting salary is enough to pay off any loans you are going to need to complete the education.

2. Do not waste time. Do not look at college as "an experience" or "an enlightenment". It is a stepping stone to a goal- your career.

3. Kiss ass. Always ask your professors for extra advice or opportunities. Show them that you are committed to your studies. You will need their recommendations to get a job.

4. Once you've done your research, sit down with your adviser and tell them exactly what you want. Discuss courses you will need to take to graduate. Make a plan and stick to it.

5. Extras. Sports, clubs, work, and most importantly, awards. Do them and earn them.

If I've learned anything in getting my three degrees is that the person with the most knowledge of the subject matter doesn't necessarily go the farthest. Its the person who learns to play the game. I just floated through my undergrad experience and paid for it (and will be paying for it) for a long time. I didn't kiss enough (or any) butt. I didn't make a plan, I changed majors three times. I did not research a career in the real world, I just listened to people at the college.

Is this the type of advice you had in mind?

Old 02-12-2013, 07:03 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,373,081 times
He will blow out of college. He wont be able to handle the pressure. And even if he gets a degree in Computer Science, he would be over his head with work demands for social skills he does not have and problem solving he could not do.
Better plan, community college. Technical computer degree, to do basic set up and troubleshooting. He would be hired as a grunt, for a supervisor with a computer science degree, and be much happier in his job. Headaches and problems would go to supervision, he just can do what he is told by supervisor.

Believe me, I have had jobs over my level, it was miserable.

Old 02-12-2013, 07:09 PM

1,216 posts, read 1,464,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
He will blow out of college. He wont be able to handle the pressure. And even if he gets a degree in Computer Science, he would be over his head with work demands for social skills he does not have and problem solving he could not do.
Better plan, community college. Technical computer degree, to do basic set up and troubleshooting. He would be hired as a grunt, for a supervisor with a computer science degree, and be much happier in his job. Headaches and problems would go to supervision, he just can do what he is told by supervisor.

Believe me, I have had jobs over my level, it was miserable.
Plus, the people I know with technical degrees make more money and have less debt than those with liberal arts degrees.

Old 02-13-2013, 01:00 PM

255 posts, read 711,075 times
I totally disagree with Jasper... If this person was able to do so well in school so far, they obviously have quite a bit of potential. Yes, much was sacrificed in the way of social interaction, etc., but the aptitude is there. Many people with average to below average intelligence can do VERY well.

I would encourage them to go to a smaller college with more personal attention from the profs and educational staff. (A college less than say 6,000 students.) Many colleges have assistance for students with learning disabilities or special circumstances. Get some social skills counseling through career services or an onsite counseling center. Focus on IT or computer training (what this person is passionate about), join the IT related clubs on campus, and go for it!

Old 02-14-2013, 10:26 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,026,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
(This is entirely fictional but just want to see how others' would handle this situation)..

Key facts about the child:

3) Parents are NOT particularly rich or extremely well connected.. basically they started out with nothing and earned it all.

4) With a ton of pressure to do well in school and sacrificing everything (despite slightly below average intelligence), manages to get into a 2nd tier University (let's say Rutgers, Vanderbilt, U of Michigan, etc. Basically NOT Ivy League but immediately below it.)

5) Very little social skills, having sacrificed everything to be accepted to college.

6) VERY hard worker.

Given the above hypothetical facts, what advice would you give to such a person upon entering college for his/her education and later career?
I would want to know whether the kid wanted to go to college and what the kid wants to do with their life. Did the ton of pressure to do well in school come from the parents?

Old 02-14-2013, 09:39 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,129,735 times
I have a hard time believing that an applicant with an IQ of 90 would be accepted into a second-tier school. The average IQ of such institutions is probably in the 120's, maybe even 130's. Don't get me wrong, a personal can still live a completely normal, fulfilling life with an IQ of 90 (which would place him around the 35th percentile of the general population?), but you need to be of more than ordinary intelligence to get into such schools.

I would do what the other poster(s) suggested and encourage him to go to a technical school. Even if he could successfully complete a program at a school he was accepted into, there becomes a point where the effort required is not sufficient to justify the marginal benefit gained.

Old 02-16-2013, 09:32 AM

297 posts, read 512,815 times
IQ score does not matter. What are the GPA, SAT and ACT scores?
What are the EC's?

If this students scores are "below average" in ACT/SAT and GPA, I'd say it is highly unlikely they got accepted to the schools listed.

No way this "below average" student was accepted into schools listed. Not even a competitive in state flagship.

Parents education does not matter.

Parents financial status does not matter when it comes to college acceptance.

How? Did they study around the clock for the ACT/SAT? What is the students GPA? Some kind of "hook" that got this kid into these schools?

There are kids that get into these schools with zilch in social skills. They may do well academically but the second they have to interact with others and it will effect their grade, forget it.

6) VERY hard worker.
Job? Parents are hard workers or student? What qualifies the student as "hard worker"?

To the point of being a hacker? A lot of kids are passionate about computers. In what way is this one passionate? Are they developing new software? Do they have apps that they have created and sold? Kids that are passionate about computers are a dime a dozen. Needs something more to get into a good school and do well.

Old 02-17-2013, 12:41 AM

4,287 posts, read 10,771,264 times
Depends how smart they are. Not really sure what IQ corresponds with so its tough to judge.

The typical try-hard with an 1100 or so SAT can graduate from a college like Rutgers. Computer science is a good area to study and seems like it would be in this persons interests

Old 02-17-2013, 01:25 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,244,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
Not really sure what IQ corresponds with so its tough to judge.
In reality it simply means the test taker was literate enough to take the test.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities