Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 05:55 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,526,609 times

Advertisements

Gabri, What is your goal? Would you like to become an architect? If so, the college that you are looking at will not help you with that. To become an architect you MUST attend four years of college at an accredited school. You could do your first two years at a community college but only if that community college has an agreement with a specific four year college where all of those credits would transfer into an arch program.

The Community College that you are looking at will not prepare you to be an architect. You will get a drafting certificate and that's about it. My husband got one of those in a year at another community college.

What Momma_bear is suggesting is that if you are serious about your education you look a little bit more and find a college that is affordable and one where the degree you earn will actually get you a job. Unfortunately, as I mentioned before it's very difficult to be accepted into an Arch program and there are only 100 Colleges with that major. This article may explain it better: Getting into Architecture? | Forum | Archinect

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2013, 06:42 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,909,503 times
While the school that I posted costs $35K per year it is one that will lead to a degree in architecture. Most community colleges in the US grant a limited number of four year degrees. Most of the degrees granted are two year (Associates degrees). I am not sure that the concept of an AA exists in Europe (maybe someone can fill me in on that). An AA is useful for certain fields but not for Architecture.

Old 03-14-2013, 07:11 AM

7 posts, read 7,269 times
Thank you for answering me. so there aren't community colleges that have an agreement with a four year college?..well, i like architecture but i also like accounting and business. Could you suggest some good community colleges where, after the first two years i can continue my studies into a 4 years degree in business?

Old 03-14-2013, 09:37 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,281,885 times
A lot of community colleges have agreements with four year institutions. It seems you are just fixated on coming to the United States, so why don't you just come visit for a few months. Do you realize there are over 4,000 colleges and universities in the United States?

Old 03-14-2013, 09:53 AM

i can't come for few months, cause I can't work, i can't do nothing..with a F-1 visa student i can be able to work inside the campus or maybe out of campus and doing stage..

Old 03-14-2013, 10:12 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,281,885 times
If you don't have any money how do you intend to pay for your tuition and living expenses?

Old 03-14-2013, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
If you don't have any money how do you intend to pay for your tuition and living expenses?
i've got money..i don't want come in us as tourist

Old 03-14-2013, 04:34 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,019,398 times
Ciao.

You should check out Cal Poly's (San Luis Obispo and Pomona) a try. Both have architecture programs (BArch) that are accredited by the National Architecture Accrediting Board.

Cal Poly - Welcome to California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo, California
Cal Poly Pomona

All community colleges in Calfornia should have transfer programs to these schools. If you already have a bachelors degreein Italy, I don't know why you would need to go to community college.

Here is website to all of Calif Community colleges, you can search for a college by progam
Find A Community College
http://californiacommunitycolleges.c...area=&x=56&y=7

Your best bet is to contact the College that you want to go to school and ask them to evaluate your degree and see what classes you need. None of us here work for the college.. so go directly to the college and ask.

Here is a ranking
http://archrecord.construction.com/f...ols-2013-2.asp

Unfortunately the demand for architects in the US.., not so good.. esp when the economy went down.
http://money.usnews.com/money/career...architect-2009

Last edited by minibrings; 03-14-2013 at 04:46 PM..

Old 03-14-2013, 08:21 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,351,543 times
Isn't IIT in Chicago an architecture school? I know they have good engineering programs. Any particular reason you are choosing Chicago area? Also colleges in America are quite expensive, as you are finding out. I do not know how they compare in cost with Europe's though.

Old 03-16-2013, 01:26 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabri_1989 View Post
Thank you for answering me. so there aren't community colleges that have an agreement with a four year college?..well, i like architecture but i also like accounting and business. Could you suggest some good community colleges where, after the first two years i can continue my studies into a 4 years degree in business?
Many, possibly most, states have "articulation agreements" with the public colleges and universities in their state to accept certain credits from the state's CCs. That doesn't mean all credits, and all credits won't be treated equally, ie, some will be "elective" credit only.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities