Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 11:00 PM

213 posts, read 698,331 times

Advertisements

Went to visit my family for the weekend and saw my sister, a Pharm.D. major, doing her Calculus II homework. What direct bearing does Calculus II have on her ability to be a good pharmacist?

It immediately brought back bitter memories and fired me up. Once upon a time, I was turned off by a CS major because I'm lousy at Calculus. Likewise to pharmacy, what direct bearing does Calculus have on my ability to read and write code?

Just looking for opinions on this issue. I feel that these courses are a big waste of student's time and money towards the pursuit of their major.

Last edited by Rumble; 04-17-2013 at 12:15 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2013, 11:04 PM

37,120 posts, read 41,299,979 times
It teaches you to think logically.

Calculus in Computer Science - Ars Technica OpenForum

Old 04-16-2013, 11:31 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,820,848 times
Does she have to take physical chemistry?

Calculus will come in handy with that course.

So will prayer.

Old 04-17-2013, 01:47 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,916,734 times
In teaching, I don't get it depending on the grade.

As for business (my major) it is somewhat important if you work with cost function and demand curves.

Old 04-17-2013, 05:24 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,920,830 times
What if you have to write code for something that uses calculus?

Old 04-17-2013, 05:58 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,301,533 times
Pharmacy is a lot closer to home for me, so I have a few examples of practical usage of calculus in pharmacy. One of the cornerstones of pharmacy, kinetics, is pretty much all calculus. A simple example:

If you know that a drug has a physiological half life of 1 hour 35 minutes, what dose would you give so that the concentration in the blood is 1 mg drug per liter of blood 8 hours later?

A drug is metabolized at a rate proportional to the concentration of a protein involved in inflammatory response. The protein's concentration is modeled by a differential equation that has the drug's analog as a variable as well as something simple like white blood cell count. Therefore, the optimum dose of the drug will depend on the patient's white blood cell count. How do you calculate the optimum dose?

I don't program much anymore but I don't think you got very far into a CS major if you didn't see how calculus is fundamental to programming. The fundamental job of the programmer is to turn real world problems into something that can be solved using polynomials and linear algebra, as all of the 'under the hood' processing that a computer does is just adding and multiplying vectors and matrices.

If you want to set up networks or install hardware or something technical, you don't nead calculus and you don't need a CS degree. If you want to understand error correction, physics engines, search optimization, graphics, encryption, simulation and prediction, or many other ubiquitous topics you will need calculus at the minimum and quite a bit more, especially group theory and dynamical systems. I am sure there are people that work in the CS field that don't ever use calculus, but only a pretty crappy school would limit their graduates to those positions.

Old 04-17-2013, 06:30 AM

83 posts, read 194,187 times
Many times it separates the ones that put forth effort from the slackers, I have seen many students drop in the upper end math/stats classes.

Old 04-17-2013, 07:07 AM

3,608 posts, read 7,928,706 times
If a pharmacist is a machine for counting pills then clearly math is unnecessary. If an understanding of the underlying biochemical processes is useful then math and science is valuable. Apparently the designers of the curriculum think the latter.

There are rather few professions where an understanding of rates (derivatives) and accumulation over time (integrals) is NOT useful. If that is the only thing that is remembered from calculus then the time is well spent.

I sometimes think that an education in math and science should be required for voters. Or at least politicians. Without it one cannot think clearly about interest rates, the national debt, global warming, etc. etc.

Old 04-17-2013, 07:31 AM

22,600 posts, read 47,707,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumble View Post
I feel that these courses are a big waste of student's time and money towards the pursuit of their major.
Apparently the designers of the curriculum don't agree...

Old 04-17-2013, 07:53 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,104,566 times
Basically, Calculus and Physics serve as weed out courses to separate the strong from the meek.

You wont need Calc for anything to be a doctor either but those courses help weed out those who are pre med and can't cut it (aka everybody freshman year)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities