Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2013, 05:14 PM

285 posts, read 1,206,102 times

Advertisements

I graduated high school in 2010 in the Fall, i took 2 classes failed one passed the other. I took a break in 2011 and just worked (big mistake). So I went back to school for Fall 2012 placed in learning support classes 3 of them I passed 1 last semester. Im getting ready to take my English final monday so Ill finish the class pretty soon. My math class Im going to have to pay another class for this summer and then transfer to a different and closer community college.

My goal is to complete all of my general ed courses, that is my goal. However Im not sure what I want to major in but its either an Associates Degree in Communications, Theatre or Music.
I want to be an aspiring Casting Director for Movies and TV and there isnt a education requirement in degree. They advise you to take Business classes (learning to negotiate) and Acting classes and then intern. Interning however is a requirement.

My parents said that I have until February or March of next year to leave the house. I need to leave anyways I cant take it anymore living here with strict religious rules. My parents said that they cant afford to half way pay for my classes. They need to catch up on their taxes. As of right now Im going to school and working as a part time cashier being paid $9.50 an hour. Im saving up every dime I can for rent I only have $6,000 in my name and I cant afford paying rent and paying for classes, and Im tired of paying for most of my classes.
I guess when I move out I could apply for food stamps or something

This Fall Im planning to be a complete full time student and work 1 or 2 days a week and Spring of 2014 to be a full time student trying to move out.
I dont know what to do though to get a degree or to just take my general ed courses and then intern ata casting agency while working at my job as a cashier.

My back up plan, if Casting for Movies/TV doesnt work then I guess being a Massage Therapist, that way way Ive already completed my general core classes.

Is it possible to complete 42-44 credit hours of core curriculums in 1 school year full time student Fall and Spring Semester?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2013, 05:57 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TySky View Post
I cant take it anymore living here with strict religious rules.

Is it possible to complete 42-44 credit hours of core curriculums in 1 school year full time student Fall and Spring Semester?

I don't blame you for wanting to move out.

42-44 units in two semesters sound extremely challenging. It may be possible but it probably will be really tough.

Old 04-13-2013, 06:20 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,486,570 times
LPN

This will pay the bills.

You can still try to get into casting on the side/spare time.

Casting is basically a recruiter for the entertainment industry. You can work for temp firms and be a recruiter...doing the same type of work except not for actors. You review resumes and interview people. In casting you do the cattle call as well. No degree needed to be a recruiter, unless maybe an HR degree of some sort.

Old 04-13-2013, 07:06 PM

285 posts, read 1,206,102 times
The only reason why Im going to school is because I feel lie I have too (pressured) even though I wasnt a good student academically in school.

Old 04-13-2013, 10:48 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,526,609 times
42 - 44 units would be crazy hard for a good student. I would suggest going to an academic adviser at your college and ask for advice on a practical major. I believe you've asked this very same question at least three times on this forum.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 04-14-2013, 08:34 PM

794 posts, read 1,409,382 times
It sounds like you're still working on (and paying for) developmental classes and haven't done any classes for credit yet. You're looking at at least four more years and $40,000+ before you end up with a not very marketable degree. Becoming a casting director is not a sure thing. A job isn't a sure thing with those degrees.

Why not learn to be a massage therapist now, get a job, and while you're working try and break into the entertainment business? Google tells me you could be accredited in six months for $12,000. Then you have a profession, a skill you can trade for decent money, if you decide to go to college afterwards you'll be able to support yourself with fewer hours of work while you study.

Old 04-15-2013, 06:17 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TySky View Post
I graduated high school in 2010 in the Fall, i took 2 classes failed one passed the other. I took a break in 2011 and just worked (big mistake). So I went back to school for Fall 2012 placed in learning support classes 3 of them I passed 1 last semester.
There is no way you can do 42-44 units in two semesters when you are currently passing one class a semester.

Old 04-15-2013, 06:44 AM

705 posts, read 1,759,530 times
Finish certification in massage therapy, get a job in that industry. Save $, support yourself, then reevaluate whether you need any college. Not everyone is cut out for college. If you struggle with academics, a trade or vocational school or an apprenticeship is a much better goal. There are good careers in many industries not requiring a college pr associates degree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities