Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2013, 11:53 AM

404 posts, read 585,501 times

Advertisements

I'm an east coaster currently split between going to grad school at Rutgers vs UCLA. Rutgers would basically be free for me, where as UCLA could cost 40-50 thousand for the two year masters program (although they imply fellowships and work study are easy to come by). However growing up on the east coast my entire life, moving to LA seems so exciting to me.

If I go to Rutgers, I'll probably live in the bitter cold north east for my entire life. However, if I go to UCLA, I may wind up loving California and never moving back. Even if I don't love California, I could always come back to the east coast after 2 years.

Any advice on what you'd do in my situation? I'm leaning towards Rutgers, but I feel I could be missing out on the opportunity of a lifetime. The grad school is in urban planning if that makes a difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2013, 12:01 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,128,682 times
Take the free school and then look for a job on the west coast.

Old 04-20-2013, 12:25 PM

77 posts, read 145,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
Take the free school and then look for a job on the west coast.
This.

Old 04-20-2013, 01:34 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,818,446 times
So you go to UCLA, have a good time, finish the program. And then can't find a job anywhere. NOWHERE. You are jobless without a hope of finding anything. Of course the same thing happen after Rutgers.

No problem, right? EXCEPT for that $40K-$50k loan hanging around your neck.

Go to Rutgers.

Old 04-20-2013, 01:47 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Rutgers is a great school, and it's free for you, so this seems like a no-brainer. One thing you might consider is how does each school rank in regards to your field of study. Get a work-study job on campus, and save your money for winter and spring breaks in LA.

Old 04-22-2013, 11:28 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,097,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Planner15 View Post
I'm an east coaster currently split between going to grad school at Rutgers vs UCLA. Rutgers would basically be free for me, where as UCLA could cost 40-50 thousand for the two year masters program (although they imply fellowships and work study are easy to come by). However growing up on the east coast my entire life, moving to LA seems so exciting to me.

If I go to Rutgers, I'll probably live in the bitter cold north east for my entire life. However, if I go to UCLA, I may wind up loving California and never moving back. Even if I don't love California, I could always come back to the east coast after 2 years.

Any advice on what you'd do in my situation? I'm leaning towards Rutgers, but I feel I could be missing out on the opportunity of a lifetime. The grad school is in urban planning if that makes a difference.
It's up to your individual situation.

How old are you and how long would it take you to make up the debt.

What I can tell you is that as an Urban Planner, you won't be making a ton of money to start, no matter if you went to MIT or Berkeley. So, it may take you a while to pay back the debt. If you're young, shouldn't be a problem.

BTW, I'm a Blou graduate. A lot of people did the reverse. Came to Rutgers from California and Texas, etc w/o aid. Some of then lived in the city the whole time and racked up healthy debt I'm sure.

Old 04-22-2013, 11:33 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
Do you plan on finishing your education or stopping at the masters? Unlike undergraduate programs at Rutgers, the masters programs are actually decent and worth considering. The free ride helps, but I don't think that should be a factor.

Look at the two urban planning programs and choose the better of the two. If they are close, maybe then consider that Rutgers is free. The most important thing in higher education is the professors you study under. So make sure you read their work prior to choosing where to go.

Old 04-23-2013, 08:30 AM

5,342 posts, read 6,168,483 times
Free school. That 40-50k is just in tuition. Add in living expenses in SoCal and you are over 100k.

They say you should never take out more in loans than you expect to earn in your first year. Is the average starting salary for Urban Planning 100k?

Old 04-23-2013, 12:38 PM

455 posts, read 1,398,531 times
Go the free route.

Old 04-26-2013, 07:45 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,984,584 times
i agree with everyone else to go to Rutgers, and will add that most of the UCs are having awful budget experiences lately. making it even less attractive of an idea

i am an east coaster who did my ugrad in cali, FWIW
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities