Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2013, 02:58 PM

532 posts, read 1,068,852 times

Advertisements

Saw a Charlie Rose segment yesterday with Tom Friedman and some other individuals in the tech ed field. I love Friedman who has taught me what little I know of international events, the middle east and contemporary economics. They were primarily discussing online education and this growing body of online coursework which may of course be accessed anywhere there is an internet connection, how this relates to traditional classrooms and technology in education. One of the central points is that the internationalization of education might contribute to world peace. Pretty heady stuff.

Even at my age (early 60's), I'd still like to pursue something productive, besides what I'm doing now with my current business affairs and teaching. An EdD in Educational Technology which I started in the past, I'm welcome to come back--the university is five blocks from my house--and I could get a TA and just have a lovely time teaching microcomputers, going to conferences, writing papers, etc.

But I'm also in a lot of pain due to the degenerative osteoarthritis, and think I'd like to move to Denver where the pain meds (i.e., weed) are legally available in all sorts of forms. But then I wouldn't get the doctorate. Study of this kind is also available in Denver but at a very much higher price at private schools where a TA would be less likely to be available. The only interesting thing to do in Denver would be to go to DU and study Suzuki method, with which I am not in complete agreement, though there are opportunities, conferences, etc.

I'm safe and comfortable in my house here, but being comfortable has never, in the past, been much of a factor in my decision making. I'd love to know what others think, privately, if you like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2013, 03:17 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,799,063 times
Thoughts: You're in your early 60's. My g-ma died a couple of years ago at 94. If you also live that long, you still have a good 30 years or 1/3 of a whole life, to go. And why shouldn't you as long as you keep yourself in good health and your brain working, as you would do while working on a doctorate? This is why I get so annoyed with age discrimination in the workplace--we still have so much to offer and older folks tend to get philosophical issues a lot better than younger folks, which makes them extremely valuable.

As for the legal marijuana, not passing judgement but can you think on that stuff? I can't. Tried it a few months ago for the first time in 20 years and my bf started talking to me about Jungian psychology which is something I"m normally interested but I couldn't follow a word he said--it just wasn't going in. If you're anything like me, you might want to rethink using it while working on a doctorate. I'm not working on one but have no desire to use the stuff again.

Is there anything else you can do? I do know that there is an amino acid called DL-phenylalanine that helps with pain quite a lot and even if it doesn't take all the pain away, it can help to keep your pain meds working b/c it builds the endorphins back up in your brain, which tend to get depleted on pain meds and that's why it's hard to go off them. It also keeps you more alert. So yeah, I'd look into that or a pain clinic near you if that doesn't work and stay home and work with the TA--you'll get so much more out of it I think. Failing that, a trip to Denver every now and then would be nice.

Old 04-27-2013, 03:24 PM

It's kind of the doctorate *or* weed, but not both, as acquiring weed in my current location is not legal and therefore not worth the risk, to me.

Don't know what DL-phenylalanine is, but I'll look into it. My understanding, and what I get from my doctors, is that the arthritis is not curable and NSAIDS is the only thing available. These of course are very damaging, especially long term, while weed is, well, not.

I'm with you on the age limitation thing and don't care about it, at all. Others might, but that's their issue, not mine.

Old 04-27-2013, 03:28 PM

Looks like DL-phenylalanine is readily available online:

DL-Phenylalanine 500 mg (DLPA) 500 mg 120 Capsules 3941 | DL-Phenylalanine | Piping Rock Health Products

Forgive me if I'm skeptical; I'm that way about everything.

Puritain's Pride is even cheaper:

http://www.puritan.com/amino-acid-su...0phenylalanine

How could something so inexpensive have hidden itself from me thus far; but I see what you mean. I'm so cautious, however; what if it turned out to be damaging? Weed is not, not if you vape it or, more likely in my case, take the pills or oils or something.

I'm expecting hemp seed and oil next week, completely legal, it turns out, from Amazon (for sale on Amazon), and it has no psycotrophic properties (i.e., it doesn't get you high) but is said to be very helpful, more so than fish oil. So maybe that will help. I'm also vegan tending towards macrobiotic, which I'm examining, and I do a lot of yoga like stuff. This getting old stuff is really a b***h, and I just hate it, hate being in pain.

Last edited by jtaustin; 04-27-2013 at 03:44 PM..

Old 04-27-2013, 04:18 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,095,018 times
The only problem with a doctorate at your age in my opinion is that it will prevent you from saving from retirement.

If you are set there, then by all means, pursue whatever you want. I agree it is a very productive way to fill your time. I recommended my father do one.

But being in school as a full time doctorate student (most are) means that you will break even at best and likely go into some debt at the end of 5 or so years.

I'm pretty sure you realize the degree won't help you careerwise, so I'd say it's a pretty clean cut evaluation.

Also, if you have rich kids, then you are also set. My parents are set, but even if they weren't, one of their kids is rich. And it's not me.

Old 04-27-2013, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
The only problem with a doctorate at your age in my opinion is that it will prevent you from saving from retirement.

If you are set there, then by all means, pursue whatever you want. I agree it is a very productive way to fill your time. I recommended my father do one.

But being in school as a full time doctorate student (most are) means that you will break even at best and likely go into some debt at the end of 5 or so years.

I'm pretty sure you realize the degree won't help you careerwise, so I'd say it's a pretty clean cut evaluation.

Also, if you have rich kids, then you are also set. My parents are set, but even if they weren't, one of their kids is rich. And it's not me.
When I was in the program before (I quit to care for my aging parents, both of whom are now deceased), I had a TA which included a complete tuition grant, insurance including dental, and $300/week. But right, that's why I would hesitate to go to Denver; there are private schools there with this subject area, but they're incredibly expensive.

I would not even be looking for a job. I have two books published already and ideas for a third and fourth, which would be invigorated by my scholarly pursuits in the program, and a business which would benefit, and other business ideas. And there are conferences all over the planet which would be fascinating to attend, and opportunities for consulting. At this stage of my life, working for anyone is just not in the picture at all.

Old 04-27-2013, 06:23 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,799,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtaustin View Post
I would not even be looking for a job. I have two books published already and ideas for a third and fourth, which would be invigorated by my scholarly pursuits in the program, and a business which would benefit, and other business ideas. And there are conferences all over the planet which would be fascinating to attend, and opportunities for consulting. At this stage of my life, working for anyone is just not in the picture at all.
Right, sometimes you just want one and I totally get that--you wouldn't be getting a job with it but your intellectual life would be very stimulating and to me that's the purest reason to do it. Here in America we always think everything has to be done for the sake of a financial goal, but sometimes you want a rich inner life and as you said, it will invigorate your books.

I will say that I hope for everyone's sake that they will legalize marijuana--it's pure stupidity not to and too many people are sitting in prison over something that is less harmful than alcohol or cigarettes and maybe we'd have a few less enemies in the world when we stop spraying their crops. I still won't smoke it though but it has nothing to do with morals as I don't believe it to be immoral.

Old 04-27-2013, 07:17 PM

It's a health issue. Marijuana is good for pain, and the extracts for a lot of other health problems. I guess the question is, should I delay those benefits for the 4-5 years it would take to finish the doctoral program. I cannot seem to make a decision; age and relative infirmity have made me timid and cautious, something that is new to me!

Old 04-27-2013, 09:25 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,984,124 times
i'm a bit confused, when you say "get a TA" do you mean get a TA-ship (how many doctoral students are funded but seems like unpleasant work for a 60-something), or teach a class as an adjunct instructor and have someone else to be TA and help with grading and footwork?

i ask because it's very rare for a doctoral student to have a TA if they teach a class. much more likely to be a TA. of course, your particular uni could be an exception and you would know that if it is

i have heard of doctoral students who teach large classes have graders, but that's not like having a TA

Old 04-27-2013, 11:09 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtaustin View Post
Looks like DL-phenylalanine is readily available online:

DL-Phenylalanine 500 mg (DLPA) 500 mg 120 Capsules 3941 | DL-Phenylalanine | Piping Rock Health Products

Forgive me if I'm skeptical; I'm that way about everything.

Puritain's Pride is even cheaper:

Amino Acid Supplements: DLPA (DL-Phenylalanine) 500 mg

How could something so inexpensive have hidden itself from me thus far; but I see what you mean. I'm so cautious, however; what if it turned out to be damaging? Weed is not, not if you vape it or, more likely in my case, take the pills or oils or something.

I'm expecting hemp seed and oil next week, completely legal, it turns out, from Amazon (for sale on Amazon), and it has no psycotrophic properties (i.e., it doesn't get you high) but is said to be very helpful, more so than fish oil. So maybe that will help. I'm also vegan tending towards macrobiotic, which I'm examining, and I do a lot of yoga like stuff. This getting old stuff is really a b***h, and I just hate it, hate being in pain.
To the bolded: because it's too cheap and simple for Pharma to make a lot of money off of. Try it for a month, see if it makes a difference.

Why do some people get degenerative osteoarthritis, and others don't? Is there a cause? Insurance-based doctors tend to attribute everything to age, but when you find docs who operate outside the insurance system, or read about research by MD's who are on the forefront of research, you find out that many diseases considered to be age-related have causes that can be addressed. I don't know how much research you've done into this. Just thought I'd mention it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities