Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2013, 10:41 AM

2,612 posts, read 5,587,780 times

Advertisements

What career would you suggest for someone with a BS in math? The person in question is a stay at home mom re-entering the workforce (her previous experience is in an office doing secretarial work, and now she wants a real career). She is planning to go to graduate school, and doesn't want to start over with a new bachelor's, so she is looking for something that will build on her math degree and lead to a real job. Nothing is off the table except computer science and education. She is more interested in something like accounting (but knows the job market is bad) or maybe actuarial science than say, engineering. Any suggestions of where to start researching? She doesn't care much about pay, but wants a full-time job with benefits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2013, 11:00 AM

4,663 posts, read 4,552,412 times
I'm not sure where you're located, but I know of a few Math majors in NYC who spent a few years as Business Analysts, then went to business school for an MBA with a concentration in Accounting. They were all able to land internships for the summer and had locked down full-time accounting positions before they graduated. That was about 5 years ago, and I believe they're all CPAs now.

Old 05-12-2013, 11:04 AM

4,534 posts, read 4,932,712 times
Just math? Prospects...eh. I think most math departments these days realize that and make their students learn programming. All math majors should have a double major or minor in programming, economics, or finance. Prospects then become much better. Learn those computers.

Personally I'd go back to grad school for finance, financial mathematics, or programming which are all much more employable than a strict math degree. Why make computer science off the table? You are instantly throwing away good and high paying job prospects.

Actuarial science is about to face a massive glut of labor. The acturarial field has been hyped up beyond belief like the law and pharmacist fields, where students read all the stories of excellent job opportunities and 6 figure salaries. Schools bank on this hype and pump out tons of grads and create gluts, oversaturating fields with labor . Also, if you want to be an actuary, no one becomes an acturary just by passing a couple of exams, it is a huge commitment, likely 5-8 years (essentially like getting a PhD) to pass all of the exams. Getting through all of the exams is no joke. Just consider that you may have to study 12 hours a day while raising kids to pass exams.

And what is wrong with engineering? IF this person happens to be near Boston, she may be lucky. Boston University has an amazing program for working adults and adults with kids that didn't study engineering as an undergraduate where they can earn an engineering degree in 2 years. Something like electrical or computer engineering would pay huge, have excellent working hours, and definitely provide benefits for the kids. Bachelor's degrees in those fields can easily start at $60-70k.

I just don't understand "engineering and computer science are off the table". You have to consider all options in my opinion. Some of the ones you're throwing away lead to more stable careers.

Last edited by fibonacci; 05-12-2013 at 11:15 AM..

Old 05-12-2013, 11:13 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,102,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marie5v View Post
What career would you suggest for someone with a BS in math? The person in question is a stay at home mom re-entering the workforce (her previous experience is in an office doing secretarial work, and now she wants a real career). She is planning to go to graduate school, and doesn't want to start over with a new bachelor's, so she is looking for something that will build on her math degree and lead to a real job. Nothing is off the table except computer science and education. She is more interested in something like accounting (but knows the job market is bad) or maybe actuarial science than say, engineering. Any suggestions of where to start researching? She doesn't care much about pay, but wants a full-time job with benefits.
If she doesn't care about pay, then she can do whatever she wants.

How about urban planning?

Old 05-12-2013, 11:25 AM

511 posts, read 838,673 times
I became a network engineer. She could pick up a CCNA and join a network team even in a helper monkeyish capacity and use it as a chance to springboard her career.

Old 05-13-2013, 07:35 AM

3,842 posts, read 8,273,096 times
I too am surprised at the exclusion of computer science. You can get a programming job with a math degree. You can be a programmer for an accounting firm or an actuarial company. Lots of options.

Old 05-13-2013, 08:39 AM

2,612 posts, read 5,587,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post

I just don't understand "engineering and computer science are off the table". You have to consider all options in my opinion. Some of the ones you're throwing away lead to more stable careers.
I wish that was not the case, but my friend is not a young person just beginning her career. She is in her late 30's already. She really doesn't know anything about computers, doesn't feel that comfortable with them beyond the basics, and would need to start over from a Bachelor's in order to enter that field. Also, engineering would require beginning over with a bachelor's, with her background. That's why they can't be considered. She needs something that she can begin at the Master's level, complete in a couple of years, and have a very solid chance at landing a full-time job.

Old 05-13-2013, 09:03 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,744 posts, read 58,090,525 times
actuarial science I know several in this field who are very happy and gainfully employed. There is some maturity that a SAH mom could bring to that position, that would have managers falling over each other to employ.

Do some informational interviews with prospective firms, Accounting in the correct specific field is vital, sought after, and very flexible career as well. (and can serve your own future investment benefit), as can a CFA (Financial Analyst). Very tough series of tests to qualify, but very helpful to lifelong skills (since we all are expected to be investment managers ourselves).

Even tho there are GRADs in these fields, the quality of USA grads does NOT equal someone who can walk in the door and PERFORM (unlike other countries that are FAR smarter in EDU). The day their students graduate, they are fully training in company policies, software, tasks, and have often been working on the projects for their hiring company for 2 yrs. If they can't hit the ground running... they haven't been educated. In USA very FEW students have experienced their career fields, or even taken the time for an informational interview with hiring managers (would have been a GOOD idea 4-6 yrs previous...)

Stick with the Math, will serve you well (As it has me for 40+ yrs of very fun and exciting employment).

MBA is the LAST thing I would get (BTDT just a few yrs ago). (unless at Stanford or an international school specializing in finance & AFTER 10+ yrs in the trenches). It is really only a degree that can be LEVERAGED. Very opportunistic career and NOT the path for a SA mom with low aspirations for BIG bucks. Just get REALLY good at something in a niche that you enjoy.

Old 05-13-2013, 09:08 AM

3,663 posts, read 5,677,361 times
It seems like the community colleges are always looking for instructors in math; well, depending on where you live. They want a masters degree, but they will settle for a BS and have you teach lower level courses. She could work on her masters as she goes. Often, CC's want you to start out in an adjunct position. That would probably work out really well for her if she has children.

I wouldn't have her give up on the computer science route, either. She would not have to start from scratch as CS degrees are very heavy in math. Since she enjoys math, she will likely enjoy programming and whatnot. Right now it is a much more in-demand field.

Old 05-13-2013, 09:51 AM

1,571 posts, read 2,818,121 times
About about a business degree in accounting? At least it builds on her math skills and is a marketable degree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities