Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 07:05 AM

117 posts, read 246,786 times

Advertisements

Lol, just a fun thread. A lot of my peers do not listen to any real rap, hiphop, r&b that's not super-mainstream (i.e. like any song frequently played on the radio). I'm going to not count listening to super easily accessible titles. A lot of them think it's weird when they get in my car, and they hear Lloyd Banks or some random titles/not-popular titles from a famous artist.

I'm wondering do any of you guys have graduate degrees and ALSO listen to rap, hiphop, or r&b music seriously? If so, high . If you DO listen to that kind of music, an interesting poll:

- what is your graduate degree in/what field do you work in? if you graduated from a top 30 in undergrad or grad and/or are very successful, pls disclose! always interesting to know
- do you know peers who also listen to this kind of music seriously?
- what's your favorite song now? what's the last song you listened to?

(note: I also listen to classical music hahaha, so if my iphone is on shuffle, passengers are like , rap music then Handel or Vivaldi, bahahahaha... I try not to shuffle my iphone music).

Last edited by soci3tycat; 05-06-2013 at 07:20 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2013, 07:18 AM

1,988 posts, read 5,385,835 times
I have a few colleagues who listen to rap. My personal taste runs more along the lines of death and black metal, so not exactly mainstream either. We are college professors.

Old 05-06-2013, 09:14 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,286,271 times
I don't but I know those who do.

How do you "seriously" listen to music?

Old 05-06-2013, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
I don't but I know those who do.

How do you "seriously" listen to music?
By serious, I meant not just listen to what's on the air. Like, explore a variety of artists in a genre and listen to a wide range of their music.

Old 05-06-2013, 10:19 AM

1,866 posts, read 2,703,194 times
I got a better question, "Why does this even matter?"

Old 05-06-2013, 10:21 AM

4,217 posts, read 7,302,712 times
I listen to rap when I go out, but generally speaking I am into alternative/indie type of bands.

Masters in Professional Writing.

I find most professional writers are into alternative rock/indie/punk.

Old 05-06-2013, 10:59 AM

1,961 posts, read 4,385,483 times
I have a Masters Degree in International Studies, and I listen to a wide variety of music, including rap:

I love finding new music and listening to it. One of my friends from grad school works part time as a DJ, and is always playing all sorts of different and interesting music.

I know you said this was just for fun, but I am not sure what connection you are trying to make between education/degrees and music?

Old 05-06-2013, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easternerDC View Post
I have a Masters Degree in International Studies, and I listen to a wide variety of music, including rap:

I love finding new music and listening to it. One of my friends from grad school works part time as a DJ, and is always playing all sorts of different and interesting music.

I know you said this was just for fun, but I am not sure what connection you are trying to make between education/degrees and music?
Post is for fun. What prompted it? I noticed around my peers that most don't listen to rap music. They enjoy talk-show radio, news, maybe some popular mainstream music. I wanted to see if others noticed this in their peer groups whatnot. I went to top 10 schools for undergrad and grad school. IN GENERAL, my average peer/colleague during grad school are a big more cut-and-dry and very serious (not saying that's bad or good).

So far on this post, no one has responded by being a serious listener to that genre, but this is a new post! Hopefully I'll see a range of answers in the future, as it's always interesting to hear others' experiences/etc.

If I were to say any connection, well, no connection can be made or proven besides through a study of some sort. This isn't a study at all, perhaps a very small poll at best. If I were to create some sort of hypothesis for study? Hmm... well I would specify the target group to be individuals with graduate degrees. To narrow the target group, I would specify by studying "those who received degrees from top 30 grad schools"--not because I think schools outside of that don't matter, just because I'd try to make my study directly relevant to my direct peers/situation. I think if anyone were interested in executing such a study, it should be executed separately across professions. I'd feel the results would largely vary per profession and in interesting notable ways. I guess hypothesis would be: "individuals with graduate degrees from top 30 schools in the legal field (insert any profession) are less likely to seriously listen to rap music," with my definition of "seriously listen to" as being defined a few posts ago. And to measure this, of course, I'd have to measure against some "norm." I guess to reduce variability, it could be measured 2 variables to measure against: "those who work in the legal field with graduate degrees outside of top 30 schools," and/or "those who work in the legal field without graduate degrees."

So many things are possible without a study, hence why I stated I wouldn't jump to creating any connections. It could be that many lawyers listen to rap music, but just the lawyers I'm around don't. It could be that most lawyers don't listen to rap music compared to other professionals. It could be that most professionals don't listen to rap music. There's an endless list of potential connections. No one can know without conducting a study/seeing the data. This is not a study nor is it viable data. It is just a post I posted FOR FUN, because it was an interesting personal observation--nothing more.

For anyone reading this post who is about to say "omg you think just because people have grad degrees they don't listen to rap music!"--no. I just constructed a basic setup for a hypothetical study that I will never actually run lol. A hypothesis for a study is something you construct to just test out, sometimes you can test it thinking your hypothesis will be confirmed, sometimes you expect the data to show otherwise. I didn't disclose expectations for that hypothesis. I just noticed among my peers it's less popular, but that is not a study or significant data for any connection at all. For those of you about to spread negative energy: I don't need to receive flak for this -.- I've noticed many people on CD are combative. The hypothetical study is in response to someone asking me about a possible connection between grad degrees and studies!!

Last edited by soci3tycat; 05-06-2013 at 11:31 AM..

Old 05-06-2013, 11:11 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
I don't see where one has anything to do with the other.

Old 05-06-2013, 11:25 AM

1,866 posts, read 2,703,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soci3tycat View Post
Post is for fun. What prompted it? I noticed around my peers that most don't listen to rap music. They enjoy talk-show radio, news, maybe some popular mainstream music. I wanted to see if others noticed this in their peer groups whatnot. I went to top 10 schools for undergrad and grad school. IN GENERAL, my average peer/colleague during grad school are a big more cut-and-dry and very serious (not saying that's bad or good).

So far on this post, no one has responded by being a serious listener to that genre, but this is a new post! Hopefully I'll see a range of answers in the future, as it's always interesting to hear others' experiences/etc.

If I were to say any connection, well, no connection can be made or proven besides through a study of some sort. This isn't a study at all, perhaps a very small poll at best. If I were to create some sort of hypothesis for study? Hmm... well I would specify the target group to be individuals with graduate degrees. To narrow the target group, I would specify by studying "those who received from top 30 grad schools"--not because I think schools outside of that don't matter, just because I'd try to make my study directly relevant to my direct peers/situation. I think if anyone were interested in executing such a study, it should be executed separately across professions. I'd feel the results would largely vary per profession and in interesting notable ways. I guess hypothesis would be: "individuals with graduate degrees from top 30 schools in the legal field (insert any profession) are less likely to seriously listen to rap music," with my definition of "seriously listen to" as being defined a few posts ago. And to measure this, of course, I'd have to measure against some "norm." I guess to reduce variability, it could be measured 2 variables to measure against: "those who work in the legal field with graduate degrees outside of top 30 schools," and/or "those who work in the legal field without graduate degrees."

For anyone reading this post who is about to say "omg you think just because people have grad degrees they don't listen to rap music!"--no. I just constructed a basic setup for a hypothetical study that I will never actually run lol. A hypothesis for a study is something you construct to just test out, sometimes you can test it thinking your hypothesis will be confirmed, sometimes you expect the data to show otherwise. I didn't disclose expectations for that hypothesis. I just noticed among my peers it's less popular, but that is not a study or significant data for any connection at all. For those of you about to spread negative energy: I don't need to receive flak for this -.- I've noticed many people on CD are combative. The hypothetical study is in response to someone asking me about a possible connection between grad degrees and studies!!
It's not about "negative energy" or "flak", geez are you a millenial? Anyways, I don't mind people asking fun questions, but this is maybe something you should have asked in the entertainment forum and you probably would have gotten a better response. I guess I just don't see the correlation here either, sorry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities