Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 04:02 PM

285 posts, read 1,206,199 times

Advertisements

Im currently enrolled into a technical college but I want to transfer to another community college which is closer to where I live (with my parents). Plus the college has the major that Im thinking of getting they have more majors there too.
Im living in a strict religious household plus being gay and so Ive been saving to move out. I plan to move out early next year so now until then I can save money.

However my parents basically dont have alot of money they have good jobs but they have fallen WAY WAY behind on taxes and they owe alot. So they helped me pay for one class but Ive been paying most of it and while paying for classes and trying to save. I cant be paying for it a lot anymore because I will be spending my money that Im plan on living off of when I move out. While panning on going to school working and may have to work 2 jobs and if that happens it might have an impact on my grades.

My dad said he claimed me but hasnt sent it out yet, however I claimed myself when I had my W-2
in January. I want to be a full time student to get all the classes that I can out of the way so when Im on my own I can work part time and be a part time student.

The only thing I can think of is say that I live with my sister and her boyfriend and independent and being on my own. Also writing letters that I need help. I just know that my job wont cut it Im only part time and only paid $9.50 an hour. As of now Im asking my managers for more hours to work from now until August.

As of today when I try to apply for Fall Semester at the school im transferring too I found out that there FAFSA deadline is April 30 so I missed it. I know FAFSA doesnt expire until June but I missed the community college deadline I dont know what Im going to! I wished I win the lottery that would be awesome. But Im living in the real world not La La land!

Last edited by TySky; 05-06-2013 at 04:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2013, 06:01 PM

809 posts, read 1,331,286 times
How old are you. If you are over 24, you are an independent student. Under 24 you are considered a dependent student. It doesn't matter who claimed you on taxes. ALso, even if you move with your sister and you are under 24 you will still be a dependent student. (doesn't mean your parents need to pay for your college- it is just how the fed. gov. determines how much money you may qualify for).

Old 05-07-2013, 05:10 AM

1,092 posts, read 3,437,105 times
Are you paying rent? Food? Utilities?

You didn't gain much by filing independently, maybe $1k for the Hope credit. You potentially cost them 3-4k I'm guessing.

Now, if they refuse to sign your FAFSA, you might not receive any financial aid until you turn 24.

Very bad call on your part if I understood your post correctly.

Are you attending a public or private school? How old are you?

Old 05-07-2013, 06:08 AM

10,349 posts, read 13,947,673 times
I went through college solely on financial aide. Working helped make up the difference but my parents didn't pay a dime for me to go to college. It can be done. Yes, you will have to take out loans but (provided you pick a good major and can get a decent job with it) it's worth it and really the only way most people go to college. As others have said, if you are over 24 (it was 23 when I was in college so check the FAFSA) you can apply based on your income.

Old 05-07-2013, 07:26 AM

1,280 posts, read 1,396,357 times
If you get married, you automatically become an independent student and are often eligible for in-state tuition in your spouse's state. It's not unheard of for college students to enter into a sham marriage for college financial purposes.

Old 05-07-2013, 08:25 AM

844 posts, read 1,657,945 times
Do you have lots of AP credits? If not, study and get credits by exam, it will give you a huge initial bump.

Old 05-07-2013, 09:06 AM

18,726 posts, read 33,396,751 times
My father refused to fill out the financial aid statement when I was in the place in life. My mother went to the aid officer and explained the situation (he was a compulsive gambler) and officer got me some aid at his alma mater, which was a real service to me.
I thought you cannot be considered independent as long as parents are declaring you and you are under a certain age. Maybe OP would be better off moving out (sounds like an oppressive situation given his life and their beliefs), work for a year, and apply as an independent adult. They can't declare you if they're not supporting you- I think at least if they're not supporting you 50 percent. Best wishes.

Old 05-07-2013, 09:38 AM

809 posts, read 1,331,286 times
Folks - here is the wording on the FAFSA- if you answer yes to any of these you are independent.
45. Were you born before 1/1/1990
46. As of today are you married (also if separated but not divorced)
47. At the beginning school year will you be working on masters or doctorate program?
48. Are you currently on active duty in the US armed forces
49. Are you a veteran
50. Do you have children who receive more than 1/2 support from you
51. At anytime since you were 13 were both parents deceased?
52. Are you an emancipated minor?
53. Were you in legal guardianship
54. Since July 1, 2011 did your school district homeless liason determine you to be an unaccompanied youth who was homeless?
55. Since July 1, 2011 did the director of an emergency shelter or transitional housing program funded by the US government determine you homeless?
56. After July 1, 2011 did the director of a runaway homeless youth center or transitional living program determine you to be self supporting and at risk of being homeless.

If you answer yes to any of these you can be considered to be independent. These are the only reasons you can use to be declared independent. It has nothing to do with who claimed you or did not claim you on taxes.

Old 05-07-2013, 07:19 PM

1,092 posts, read 3,437,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pupmom View Post
Folks - here is the wording on the FAFSA- if you answer yes to any of these you are independent.
45. Were you born before 1/1/1990
46. As of today are you married (also if separated but not divorced)
47. At the beginning school year will you be working on masters or doctorate program?
48. Are you currently on active duty in the US armed forces
49. Are you a veteran
50. Do you have children who receive more than 1/2 support from you
51. At anytime since you were 13 were both parents deceased?
52. Are you an emancipated minor?
53. Were you in legal guardianship
54. Since July 1, 2011 did your school district homeless liason determine you to be an unaccompanied youth who was homeless?
55. Since July 1, 2011 did the director of an emergency shelter or transitional housing program funded by the US government determine you homeless?
56. After July 1, 2011 did the director of a runaway homeless youth center or transitional living program determine you to be self supporting and at risk of being homeless.

If you answer yes to any of these you can be considered to be independent. These are the only reasons you can use to be declared independent. It has nothing to do with who claimed you or did not claim you on taxes.
Agreed. But, if the OP shouldn't have filed independently, he could have cost his parents a significant amount in their returns, and perhaps they'll refuse to sign his FAFSA paperwork.

Old 05-08-2013, 09:51 AM

1,051 posts, read 2,298,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Litlove71 View Post
Agreed. But, if the OP shouldn't have filed independently, he could have cost his parents a significant amount in their returns, and perhaps they'll refuse to sign his FAFSA paperwork.
If he's filing independently does it matter if they sign it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities