Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 02:43 PM

5,751 posts, read 10,379,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
2011-12 Division I Other Sports Recruiting Calendars - NCAA.org

NCAA

Most sports follow the same timeline, however, some sports are different. The calendar above gives you a guideline for that. The other link has some signing period differences.

As for the bolded part, that is basically saying that they can't pay for your visit or give you anything they wouldn't normally give. Most colleges we visited gave potential students a meal voucher to eat lunch there. If they didn't give those to non-athletes they could not give them to athletes, for example. Tickets to watch a game is another one that is mentioned as not being ok if they don't normally give them to everyone that wants them.
Thanks Golfgal.... I am learning more everyday about all this. There is also a college planning seminar in Oct. that our club requires us to attend. I think you're right that our coaches support the girls through the process.

As I said, DD is first a strong academic and then a hockey player. I am not counting on a hockey scholarship, but she may be good enough to make a college team - who knows. She will be starting a very intense developmental program in the Fall with a highly regarded coach - we'll see where that takes her. She also hasn't fully hit puberty yet... LOL.

I wonder if, for example, she decides she wants to attend a Div. 1 school like U of MN, but she is not the top forward prospect. Would her high academics combined with hockey make her a recruit as a 3rd or 4th line player? Would that be comparable to playing 1st or 2nd line at a Div. III school? Also, do non-NCAA club teams (e.g. Michigan or MIT), who can't recruit, consider her sport in the application process? I also want to figure out if prep school is a viable choice and what scholarships are available for that. Or, if her current AAA club level is the right path.

I do realize this is all just speculation and things could radically change. I am just curious about how it works... I can quickly adapt and change, but I do like to be prepared with options - that is just my personality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2013, 02:53 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Something I just recalled-USA gymnastics does not recommend families move for their kids to go to a "better" gym. When you think about it, that puts a lot of pressure on the kids. I have a friend who kept a hockey player who came here to CO for a better team. It didn't work out too well; he tried to entice my friend's teenage daughter.

Old 05-30-2013, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
It's not my place to approve or disapprove of anyone's lifestyle. I'm just saying, your DD may lose her passion for hockey, or she may get injured and not be able to play at her current high level, or something. Do what you need to do for now. If that involves moving, so be it. But keep the above in mind. I know very few people who competed in DI sports in college, regardless of what they were doing in high school.
Yes, I appreciate that point. I am really just trying to support her current passion (and she does love it) and put her on the optimal path, but that could all change. I think she may eventually drop the sport for some very serious academics - I just don't know when she'll do that (H.S., college?). E.g. Can she balance her accelerated H.S. program with it? And will she want to? What about engineering/medical school if she still wants that? I do not underestimate her.

I'm not sure if hockey recruitment is unique, but I think that few D1 prospects are coming from high schools. They are identified earlier from prep schools, junior leagues, or AAA programs like my D's. My D is considering playing at the local H.S., but only as a "fun" recreational-type program as the competition at the AAA level is much higher. Participation in the top programs often involves earlier decision making (at the middle school levels). This is what I'm addressing now.

Old 05-30-2013, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Something I just recalled-USA gymnastics does not recommend families move for their kids to go to a "better" gym. When you think about it, that puts a lot of pressure on the kids. I have a friend who kept a hockey player who came here to CO for a better team. It didn't work out too well; he tried to entice my friend's teenage daughter.
I believe ice hockey differs from gymnastics in that there are fewer top programs and they are concentrated in fewer areas (e.g. MN, MA, Ontario...). There are also issues in getting access to good facilities / ice time. Top figure skaters have similar issues with having to travel/relocate. Skiers also have this issue (my teenage son happens to be a ranked competitive skier who wants to move to Colorado - he is attending ski camp this summer - this is a whole other can of worms... LOL). Lots of travel and relocation is common with these sports.

p.s. I would never send my young daughter to board in someone's home without me . I might consider a top prep, boarding school for a 16 -18 y.o, but even that is iffy. This is why I prefer to stay with a local club team or just relocate if necessary.

Old 05-30-2013, 03:06 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,913,732 times
I would advise the OP against talking to the school counselor about anything that has to do with athletic recruiting. They just don't know all that much about it. I think your comment about letting her be a kid who plays hockey is spot on though. The OPs child is only in middle school and so many things can happen between now and when she is looking at colleges.

One suggestion I would give the OP is that she should start recording her daughter's games. One of the best ways to get a coach's attention is to have a 5-7 minute highlight film by the time she daughter is a junior in HS. We paid someone to make our son's film. It was very reasonable (under $100). Our school films all football games but for other sports we have to provide our own recordings (my other son plays lacrosse).

Coaches will not just find you. Even if the OPs daughter is on an AA team her parents still need to market her to coaches. Once she has standardized test scores and a transcript that shows her grades for the first two years of high school they can put together an email and attach the transcript/scores along with a link to her highlight video and send the email out to coaches.

Right now she is in middle school. Her parents should enjoy her athletic development and record a few of her games. Make sure it is still fun.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 05-30-2013 at 05:19 PM.. Reason: removed off topic remarks

Old 05-30-2013, 03:12 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,913,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
Yes, I appreciate that point. I am really just trying to support her current passion (and she does love it) and put her on the optimal path, but that could all change. I think she may eventually drop the sport for some very serious academics - I just don't know when she'll do that (H.S., college?). E.g. Can she balance her accelerated H.S. program with it? And will she want to? What about engineering/medical school if she still wants that? I do not underestimate her.

I'm not sure if hockey recruitment is unique, but I think that few D1 prospects are coming from high schools. They are identified earlier from prep schools, junior leagues, or AAA programs like my D's. My D is considering playing at the local H.S., but only as a "fun" recreational-type program as the competition at the AAA level is much higher. Participation in the top programs often involves earlier decision making (at the middle school levels). This is what I'm addressing now.
Lacrosse is similar to hockey in that the recruiting usually comes from the elite club teams not from the high schools. There are a few elite lacrosse high schools where that is not true but for the bulk of players they get seen by coaches at showcases and tournaments that they attend with their club teams.

Old 05-30-2013, 04:20 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,314,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
Thanks Golfgal.... I am learning more everyday about all this. There is also a college planning seminar in Oct. that our club requires us to attend. I think you're right that our coaches support the girls through the process.

As I said, DD is first a strong academic and then a hockey player. I am not counting on a hockey scholarship, but she may be good enough to make a college team - who knows. She will be starting a very intense developmental program in the Fall with a highly regarded coach - we'll see where that takes her. She also hasn't fully hit puberty yet... LOL.

I wonder if, for example, she decides she wants to attend a Div. 1 school like U of MN, but she is not the top forward prospect. Would her high academics combined with hockey make her a recruit as a 3rd or 4th line player? Would that be comparable to playing 1st or 2nd line at a Div. III school? Also, do non-NCAA club teams (e.g. Michigan or MIT), who can't recruit, consider her sport in the application process? I also want to figure out if prep school is a viable choice and what scholarships are available for that. Or, if her current AAA club level is the right path.

I do realize this is all just speculation and things could radically change. I am just curious about how it works... I can quickly adapt and change, but I do like to be prepared with options - that is just my personality.

It's very possible her high academics will help her in the recruiting process, especially at the Ivy level. They have to have a combined athletic score on their teams so if she is good enough for the 3rd or 4th line but has stellar grades/test scores she will be a good prospect for them. Maybe not so much at the U of MN or similar but they certainly won't hurt her in the process. As I said earlier, I'm a planner too. It's driving me NUTS that we don't have a move in date for the fall yet.....in August. I'm happy to help and I realize it's all speculation but you are right about knowing as much about the process as you can, especially with the Ivy interest since the timeline there is so compressed. Our D had to make her decision by the November signing day so that shaves 4 months off the process senior year---in an already really tight application timeline.

Old 06-01-2013, 12:01 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,727,236 times
Let go. It sounds like she can make it on her own. Support her choices; don't make them for her. You've obviously been a great parent. Now is the time to enjoy the product of your love an hard work.

Old 06-01-2013, 07:30 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,314,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
I would advise the OP against talking to the school counselor about anything that has to do with athletic recruiting. They just don't know all that much about it. I think your comment about letting her be a kid who plays hockey is spot on though. The OPs child is only in middle school and so many things can happen between now and when she is looking at colleges.

One suggestion I would give the OP is that she should start recording her daughter's games. One of the best ways to get a coach's attention is to have a 5-7 minute highlight film by the time she daughter is a junior in HS. We paid someone to make our son's film. It was very reasonable (under $100). Our school films all football games but for other sports we have to provide our own recordings (my other son plays lacrosse).

Coaches will not just find you. Even if the OPs daughter is on an AA team her parents still need to market her to coaches. Once she has standardized test scores and a transcript that shows her grades for the first two years of high school they can put together an email and attach the transcript/scores along with a link to her highlight video and send the email out to coaches.

Right now she is in middle school. Her parents should enjoy her athletic development and record a few of her games. Make sure it is still fun.
Our HS GC was a fantastic help. It's hard to make blanket statements like that. Momma Bear--the hockey coaches are all over the AAA league games. It's just different with hockey.

Old 06-01-2013, 10:52 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,530,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Our HS GC was a fantastic help. It's hard to make blanket statements like that. Momma Bear--the hockey coaches are all over the AAA league games. It's just different with hockey.
Disclaimer, I know nothing about ice hockey. Do players often get recruited to go pro right from HS or is College ice hockey where most of them come from? And doesn't it make a big difference that the OP is talking about a female? Since ice hockey is more of a northern tier of the country thing, doesn't that limit the college choices quite a bit?

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities