Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 06:03 PM

338 posts, read 741,378 times

Advertisements

Could I still get a degree in Marketing with non-Calculus Statistics?

Old 06-04-2013, 07:34 PM

326 posts, read 478,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhornsfan87 View Post
Could I still get a degree in Marketing with non-Calculus Statistics?
You should be able to. Look at the courses for marketing at different universities to see the ones you like.

Old 06-04-2013, 11:17 PM

877 posts, read 2,013,045 times
You'll probably like public relations. It requires minimal writing but not all creative and if you do like communications, you'll absolutely love it.

Old 06-05-2013, 03:50 AM

1,761 posts, read 2,606,185 times
If you have not done so already, you should be checking the website of whatever school you are in to see the requirments of the major. They should have a list of all the courses you need to earn the degree.

At the school I am going to, accounting majors have to take intro to stats, no calc involved. Addtionally the business majors that do require calc, often take "business calc" as opposed to the real and much harder calculus one. Also see if you can transfer calc from a Community college, usually the CC version of the class is easier than the uni one.

In any case first thing, is check the website, find out exactly the highest level of math required.

Old 06-05-2013, 06:24 AM

Again, could I still get a degree in marketing with non-Calc Statistics?

Also, what makes business calc easier than real calc?

Old 06-05-2013, 06:44 AM

1,761 posts, read 2,606,185 times
I dont think marketing requires calc, but to be sure you have to look up the requirments for the major at whatever school you are going to. The university I am at, marketing majors take "Stastical methods for business"- they do not take the actual "Statistics" course. and they do NOT TAKE Calculus. I am not sure about the school you are going to, again you have to check, check the website, heck call up someone in the department and ask directly.

As to what makes business calc easier than real calc, the generally rule is anytime a course is a derivative off a parent course, the derivative is often easier. So at Rutgers , the liberal arts majors will take "Mathematics for the Liberal Arts" whilst non liberal arts majors will take the actual "college algebra". From what I hear in "business calc", "Mathematics for liberal arts", the workload is easier and the professors are more lenient. You will not go as deeply into the course if you took "real" calc. The professor understands you are not a math major, math is not your strong suite and thus the tests are usually easier and the curve is bigger.

I will give a personal example. As a nursing major I had to take Organic Biochemistry. The science majors had to take the real thing, the real "Organic chemistry". Organic chemistry has the notorious reputation of being incredibly difficulty in the lecture and lab component often quashing the dreams of pre med and pre PA students everywhere. Organic chemistry you are thrown in the deep end of the pool, organic bio chem-you are dipping your toe in the shallow end. I believe this applies almost anytime a course is a derivative of a parent course.

Last edited by dazeddude8; 06-05-2013 at 06:45 AM.. Reason: et al

Old 06-05-2013, 11:59 AM

1,866 posts, read 2,702,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazeddude8 View Post
I dont think marketing requires calc, but to be sure you have to look up the requirments for the major at whatever school you are going to. The university I am at, marketing majors take "Stastical methods for business"- they do not take the actual "Statistics" course. and they do NOT TAKE Calculus. I am not sure about the school you are going to, again you have to check, check the website, heck call up someone in the department and ask directly.

As to what makes business calc easier than real calc, the generally rule is anytime a course is a derivative off a parent course, the derivative is often easier. So at Rutgers , the liberal arts majors will take "Mathematics for the Liberal Arts" whilst non liberal arts majors will take the actual "college algebra". From what I hear in "business calc", "Mathematics for liberal arts", the workload is easier and the professors are more lenient. You will not go as deeply into the course if you took "real" calc. The professor understands you are not a math major, math is not your strong suite and thus the tests are usually easier and the curve is bigger.

I will give a personal example. As a nursing major I had to take Organic Biochemistry. The science majors had to take the real thing, the real "Organic chemistry". Organic chemistry has the notorious reputation of being incredibly difficulty in the lecture and lab component often quashing the dreams of pre med and pre PA students everywhere. Organic chemistry you are thrown in the deep end of the pool, organic bio chem-you are dipping your toe in the shallow end. I believe this applies almost anytime a course is a derivative of a parent course.
I have a liberal arts degree and I NEVER took a different math class because I was a liberal arts grad. I took college algebra and business math and I was done.

Old 06-07-2013, 01:04 PM

I'll still have to get a low paying job, because I'm no good at math.

Old 06-07-2013, 02:25 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,095,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhornsfan87 View Post
I'll still have to get a low paying job, because I'm no good at math.
One of my friends who is one of the dimmest people I know (in terms of books and school) managed to get an engineering degree, which meant he had to pass 4 levels of Calculus.

Anybody who applies themselves can pass a semester or two of college level calculus.

As far as this dyscalculia disease, I guess it does exist. But I think some people are just jumping on it as an excuse not to try harder to address their weakness.

If you can do arithmetic and geometry and read clocks, then you can do Calc.

Old 06-09-2013, 12:30 PM

Is it bad that a lot of what I know about college (Living in dorms, majors) from what people have said on internet forums?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities