Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2013, 04:58 PM

503 posts, read 1,172,508 times

Advertisements

I've decided to try the second Bachelor's degree route instead of graduate school due to a completely different career path I'm taking. I felt this was the best choice because I don't feel I'm ready for graduate school, especially with this career transition. I have a pretty good idea on what to do but I'm just looking around for various bits of advice from anybody who perhaps went this direction with their education.

I'm cohabiting with my S.O. and we've agreed to support each other (I get a second degree, she works full time and then she goes to school while I work full time.) As long as we budget and plan accordingly, I believe we should be able to go through with this idea. I've made it through college with less money and resources once before so I don't foresee any issues.

I understand a second Bachelor's reduces the financial aid available. I have applied to some community college out of curiosity since graduating and have gotten financial aid offers including scholarships up to $1,000. I believe as long as I make the right moves, I can combine the remaining undergraduate federal loan amounts I have with some scholarships and cover the cost of tuition. My overall student loan debt will be up, but at least I will have more options after graduation. There are graduates with "worse degrees" and more debt than myself, anyway.

I've also been looking into transfer credits from my first degree. Almost every if not all universities I've looked into allow you to transfer the credits and get exemption from general education and core requirements in return. Most school require only 50% of your core major curriculum to be done at their school for your degree. I'd be using this to take only relevant classes and graduate quickly, minimizing excess debt.

As far as my major, I plan to pursue a double major: Accounting, Finance.

I plan to utilize everything I can at my prospective school: Internships, clubs, career center, professors and so on.

I did a search for some related threads but feel they didn't provide sufficient information. I figured I could squeeze some more out this way. What advice or extra steps should I take to ensure my second time around is a great success?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2013, 05:12 PM

1,866 posts, read 2,703,803 times
what was your major before? I thought about doing the same thing as well and go from history to communications, and while it would give me more options, the pay would not necessarily be more.

Old 05-25-2013, 05:18 PM

Acting.
"Would you like fries with that?"

Old 05-25-2013, 05:23 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,154,196 times
What you do different is go to the best school for the program you want to study. Consider UPenn, Booth, NYU. You're going there to learn. Don't waste your money on anything other than learning from the best.

Old 05-25-2013, 05:28 PM

That's how I feel. I'm just wondering what to do when my federal loans run out. I'm okay with private loans, but I'm not sure if I qualify and I'm worried about the deferment/forbearance/IBR options private loans (don't) have.

Old 05-25-2013, 05:57 PM

@jontaejones

Thank you for the insight! I'm in my early twenties now so hopefully I won't feel too old. Most of the students at my undergraduate were 2-5 years older than me so it'll be different.

Shopping schools is where I'm stuck now because it seems near impossible to get in touch with admissions around this time. I'd love to get a fall admissions (since my financial aid won't really be affected as a second degree student) but I've had no luck getting responses. Any advice on how to tackle this one?

Skipping prereqs is what I planned, as well as doubling up. Back in high school I was on good terms with the guidance counselor so I managed to negotiate into doubling up (i.e. taking a required prereq and the proceeding class in the same semester instead of spread out.) Hopefully it works with this plan. I already have several prereqs done for a business degree (I diversified my general education during undergrad) so things like math may not be required for my second time around.

Old 05-25-2013, 06:45 PM

1,866 posts, read 2,703,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForkInTheRoad View Post
Acting.
Yeah, that is pretty bad lol

Old 05-25-2013, 07:08 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,880,614 times
Quote:
I've decided to try the second Bachelor's degree route instead of graduate school due to a completely different career path I'm taking. I felt this was the best choice because I don't feel I'm ready for graduate school, especially with this career transition. I have a pretty good idea on what to do but I'm just looking around for various bits of advice from anybody who perhaps went this direction with their education.

I'm cohabiting with my S.O. and we've agreed to support each other (I get a second degree, she works full time and then she goes to school while I work full time.) As long as we budget and plan accordingly, I believe we should be able to go through with this idea. I've made it through college with less money and resources once before so I don't foresee any issues.

I understand a second Bachelor's reduces the financial aid available. I have applied to some community college out of curiosity since graduating and have gotten financial aid offers including scholarships up to $1,000. I believe as long as I make the right moves, I can combine the remaining undergraduate federal loan amounts I have with some scholarships and cover the cost of tuition. My overall student loan debt will be up, but at least I will have more options after graduation. There are graduates with "worse degrees" and more debt than myself, anyway.

I've also been looking into transfer credits from my first degree. Almost every if not all universities I've looked into allow you to transfer the credits and get exemption from general education and core requirements in return. Most school require only 50% of your core major curriculum to be done at their school for your degree. I'd be using this to take only relevant classes and graduate quickly, minimizing excess debt.

As far as my major, I plan to pursue a double major: Accounting, Finance.

I plan to utilize everything I can at my prospective school: Internships, clubs, career center, professors and so on.

I did a search for some related threads but feel they didn't provide sufficient information. I figured I could squeeze some more out this way. What advice or extra steps should I take to ensure my second time around is a great success?
Depending on what your first major was you could get a masters in another field.

For physics you could get a CS master or with Finance/accounting you could do MIS, etc.

What was your first major?

I saw you wanted to do accounting and finance. I know people who dont have accounting/finance backgrounds and just did a masters in this and got a job in the field. It really depends if your first major applie.

Old 05-25-2013, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
Depending on what your first major was you could get a masters in another field.

For physics you could get a CS master or with Finance/accounting you could do MIS, etc.

What was your first major?

I saw you wanted to do accounting and finance. I know people who dont have accounting/finance backgrounds and just did a masters in this and got a job in the field. It really depends if your first major applie.
Quote:
Acting.
Mentioned above. A master's degree is not feasible.

Old 05-25-2013, 09:38 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,880,614 times
Quote:
Mentioned above. A master's degree is not feasible.
With acting probably not you would need another bachelors.

Sorry i didnt feel like reading through all the responses but you should have included it in OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities