Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 09:21 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,252,518 times

Advertisements

If the school had that reputation, and it was a reputation loved and exalted by enough of the undergrad student body who won't let the rep die, would you even consider it?

The school is WVU.

Old 05-24-2013, 09:28 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,083,796 times
I wouldn't let my kid go to WVU, no.

Maybe if I lived in WV, but I would NEVER live in WV. Sorry.

Old 05-24-2013, 09:32 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Yes.

Not WVU, but the university we attended "earned" that ranking once recently. I actually HOPE my kids go there because it is a great choice with excellent programs they want to study.

You can't put too much stock in lists like that anyway. They are created to get attention, sell ads or get " clicks." Kids party at most colleges. A small, religious college near my hometown had the most notorious reputation for drugs, and it has never made a list.

Old 05-24-2013, 09:35 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post

Beat me to the punch.

Now, let's say the school was in CA, like UCSD or CSUSD or UCSB...I think all of these schools are or have been in the top 10 party school list, I'd let my kid go there - as long as they didn't major in something useless.

Regardless of the party nature of the school, I'd rather have my kid go to Cal State Nowhere and major in Engineering or business or nursing or something practical than attend Student Loan U and major in some softology.

I attended UCSB (University of California Suds and Buds, U Can Study Buzzed, U See Surfboards) engineering graduate school AND I was on Crew. Believe me, I had no time to party. Many nights in the lab until midnight and getting up at 430 to row.

Old 05-24-2013, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Beat me to the punch.

Now, let's say the school was in CA, like UCSD or CSUSD or UCSB...I think all of these schools are or have been in the top 10 party school list, I'd let my kid go there - as long as they didn't major in something useless.

Regardless of the party nature of the school, I'd rather have my kid go to Cal State Nowhere and major in Engineering or business or nursing or something practical than attend Student Loan U and major in some softology.

I attended UCSB (University of California Suds and Buds, U Can Study Buzzed, U See Surfboards) engineering graduate school AND I was on Crew. Believe me, I had no time to party. Many nights in the lab until midnight and getting up at 430 to row.
All of the UCs have so many Asian nerds that they balance out all of the party kids. NONE of them are true party schools, no matter where they are located.

I always thought UCSC was the 'bigger' party school out of the lot.

When I think party school, I think fraternity dominated and middlin' academics.

Old 05-24-2013, 09:58 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,252,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post

Me neither, and I don't live in WV either, but apparently a huge % of the kids who attend WVU come from the state I do live in: NJ. With the supposed "one of the best public school systems" in the country, makes me wonder why so many attend WVU, but that's another thread.

Despite the school being the #1 Party School, I only have anecdotal evidence as to why I would NEVER, but 3 out of the 3 folks I know who have sent their kids there (and still are undergrads)....no way.

That school is not on my radar for my kids and first and foremost because of it's reputation. Which is, apparently, right on the mark and they're proud of it.

Old 05-24-2013, 10:06 PM

503 posts, read 1,171,915 times
A lot of those "rankings" are just the media finding a way to make a dime by giving numbers more attention than actuality. I attended a school that ranked among the top for student sexual activity, and to be honest, the school was no different than any other. Source the surveys and validate it for accurate statistical research. A lot of people these days (including me) skew answers and a lot of surveys use horrible methods of sampling causing fraudulent statistics.

Anyway, if I had a child and they got accepted to "the #1 par-tay cool school in the nation," I'd let them go. As long as they're majoring something with high-yield career profits, maintain close to a 4.0 each semester and get a full ride. Otherwise, no.

But if you still believe in holding your breath over bridges, that's fine. Personal preference.

Old 05-24-2013, 10:13 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,803,581 times
Sure, there is no law stating the person has to participate in any of the partying.

But being in WV would be my issue.

Old 05-24-2013, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
Me neither, and I don't live in WV either, but apparently a huge % of the kids who attend WVU come from the state I do live in: NJ. With the supposed "one of the best public school systems" in the country, makes me wonder why so many attend WVU, but that's another thread.

Despite the school being the #1 Party School, I only have anecdotal evidence as to why I would NEVER, but 3 out of the 3 folks I know who have sent their kids there (and still are undergrads)....no way.

That school is not on my radar for my kids and first and foremost because of it's reputation. Which is, apparently, right on the mark and they're proud of it.
I'm from NJ too.

It's a huge feeder state for WVU because apparently the campus is beautiful and the students are beautiful. The students who go there from other states usually don't plan to concentrate on academics.

Put it this way. Nobody goes to Rutgers from West Virginia because they think it's going to be tons of fun to party there with super hot students.

It's a case by case basis. Some schools on that list are good academic schools.

Old 05-24-2013, 10:20 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,871,311 times
I went to WVU and it is a great school, and very cheap.

There is lots of parties, but that is normal in college, and they are optional. Nobody is forcing any students to attend them. The staff and academic quality are good.

You get out what you put in. I am very successful in life with my WVU education, 6 years of it which was cheaper than 1 year for the schools my brothers went to. Right now I am attending a top #50 grad school.

If your kid wont be able to control himself than perhaps WVU is a bad school.

For many students WVU is an affordable fun school that will give them a good education.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities